The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Craig Dargo after scoring 30 league goals over the previous two seasons for Caley.

It's the hope that kills you.

Reminds me a lot of Craig Dargo - more expensive but less offsides. Almost as many injuries.

Robinson clearly doesn't fancy Brophy - it seemed a bit unfair that he got into the team against Killie, was hooked when Erhahon got sent off then dropped for the following game. He isn't even third choice for us at the moment so we're as well getting some/all his wages off the bill when the manager - rightly or wrongly - isn't going to play him.

He can't play against us and if he fires in the goals that somehow get County to finish above us then we have bigger problems to worry about considering their current position! And if he finds some form he's under contract with us for next season so he can either come back or will be easier to offload in the summer.

Olusanya clearly needs games which, aside from sub appearances, he ain't getting with us so that loan move probably makes sense too. My only worry is the two young boys we've brought back could probably do with games as well and they're now going to be sitting on our bench - although I think that was happening with Offord anyway.

Got a bad feeling about this Brophy to County move, would rather he wasn’t going to a team in the same league.

Brophy played well against Livingston then got the nod to start against Killie but was hooked after only 5 minutes due to Ethan getting stupidly sent off.

Our other strikers aren’t exactly banging them in at present.

2 minutes ago, McG said:

Got a bad feeling about this Brophy to County move, would rather he wasn’t going to a team in the same league.

Brophy played well against Livingston then got the nod to start against Killie but was hooked after only 5 minutes due to Ethan getting stupidly sent off.

Our other strikers aren’t exactly banging them in at present.

What is your concern bud?

Why has Brophy not featured since getting hooked? The 2 most likely reasons are his attitude after getting hooked or SR believes getting him out is best for us.

We need more goals from the team, not just the three strikers. CB's up at corners, Kiltie and others etc.

I thought Brophy was due a chance given our recent goal scoring record. I have less of an issue with him going to County, particularly as he can't play against us. 

He'll most likely be their main striker but I can't see him scoring that many. They've scored 15 goals this season, you could have Erling Haaland up front for them until the end of the season and he wouldn't hit double figures.

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I thought Brophy was due a chance given our recent goal scoring record. I have less of an issue with him going to County, particularly as he can't play against us. 

He'll most likely be their main striker but I can't see him scoring that many. They've scored 15 goals this season, you could have Erling Haaland up front for them until the end of the season and he wouldn't hit double figures.

I would suggest that would be the exact same case if we signed Haaland most strikers who was ever any good with other clubs and signed for us turned to shit.

I see Brophy going there as a win:win scenario for us.

If he goes there and recaptures his form and scores a few goals we won't be short of offers in the Summer for him and might even recoup some of the vast funds we've thrown his way over the past 2 years. Or we get a striker ready for next season who has his mojo back.

If he goes to County and bombs, as I suspect he will, then we confirm that even when regular starts he's never going to be a regular scorer in this league and given what we're paying him we'd be as well him moving on.

Meantime we save ourselves the guts of £3K a week and give the chance off the bench to two young strikers who are desperate to impress.

Can't really see a downside to it.

8 minutes ago, Div said:

Can't really see a downside to it.

I mean if County get a bit of form start winning and Brophy replaces Charles Cook as their regular goalscorer whilst our strikers fail to hit a barn door and we end up struggling at the wrong end of the table I can see a downside. 

12 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I mean if County get a bit of form start winning and Brophy replaces Charles Cook as their regular goalscorer whilst our strikers fail to hit a barn door and we end up struggling at the wrong end of the table I can see a downside. 

Brophy has contributed very little to our season so far - and we're doing pretty well compared to our normal over the last 15 years or so.

If Brophy scores loads it'll take points off our rivals.

Our strikers haven't scored loads so far so in your doom senario, if the strikers strike rate continues or even falls it won't necessarily mean we don't keep picking up a decent number of points.

If we can keep picking up the points average we have in the 1st 1/2 of the season we have nothing to worry about - not even our finances

26 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I'd call that more of a general 'us' problem then than an 'us not having Brophy' one. Our main issue just now as always appears to be the case, is a lack of creativity.

Would've preferred Brophy to go to a team in another league/division but although it's a risk him going to County it's one I think we should take.

Wonder how much we'll have had to sweeten the deal by.

Edited by btb

3 minutes ago, btb said:

Would've preferred Brophy to go to a team in another league/division but although it's a risk him going to County it's one I think we should take.

Wonder how much we'll have had to sweeten the deal by.

Ross County are utterly desperate for players. They've also got a Chairman who has a history of spending a few quid when need be, I reckon they will be covering all of Brophy's wages and don't think we'll have had to sweeten the deal at all.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd call that more of a general 'us' problem then than an 'us not having Brophy' one. Our main issue just now as always appears to be the case, is a lack of creativity.

Well there's the creativity issue and the fact Main and Ayunga have played some amount of minutes this season and our top scorer is O'Hara with 4 goals, 2 of which were penalties?

We don't have a lot of possession in most goals, we clearly aren't clinical enough when we get the ball back and when we actually get the chances. 

Main and Ayunga cause havoc and do most of their best work outside the box, the worry is who is going to score the goals? Our defence don't score at set pieces, we don't have a Ronan/McGrath in midfield.

6 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Ross County are utterly desperate for players. They've also got a Chairman who has a history of spending a few quid when need be, I reckon they will be covering all of Brophy's wages and don't think we'll have had to sweeten the deal at all.

Given their current predicament it's probably a gamble that McGregor thinks is worth taking. He's a player that has, at times, scored (some) goals in the Premiership and him and Mackay probably feel it's worth trying to squeeze that out of him than gambling on a rookie from down South or abroad who doesn't know the league.

Scottish football is a bit niche. Good players come here and fail whilst fairly average players can come here and score freely (RGC anyone?).

Be interesting to see if they can get a song out of Brophy, assuming they can keep him fit for any length of time.

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Well there's the creativity issue and the fact Main and Ayunga have played some amount of minutes this season and our top scorer is O'Hara with 4 goals, 2 of which were penalties?

We don't have a lot of possession in most goals, we clearly aren't clinical enough when we get the ball back and when we actually get the chances. 

Main and Ayunga cause havoc and do most of their best work outside the box, the worry is who is going to score the goals? Our defence don't score at set pieces, we don't have a Ronan/McGrath in midfield.

I think Kiltie is the answer to that. He needs to be getting more game time IMO.

48 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Of course there is the possibility of that happening but we have a manager who is paid to take risks and will be accountable for his actions. We can't afford to keep players " just in case. " Whenever we get rid of any player people come on here saying we should keep him as it might come back to haunt us. We would have a massive squad and no money to pay them . Management involves taking risks. Having said that I would prefer if we kept Brophy and got rid of others but I'm not paid to take these risks.

5 minutes ago, Div said:

I think Kiltie is the answer to that. He needs to be getting more game time IMO.

That's another issue. He doesn't really fit in the system. Another luxury to have on the bench, but he must he happy enough to have signed the new deal recently.