The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

30 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We're without Fraser, Erhahon and Dunne due to disciplinary matters. Baccus, having picked up his sixth booking yesterday, will miss the Motherwell game, as the suspension kicks in 14 days after the sixth booking.

Ayunga is on five bookings, with both O'Hara and Gallagher on six. Not sure how it works with the latter two, as two of their bookings led to a red card and a subsequent suspension.

With injuries and suspensions kicking in, we're down to the bare bones.

Fingers crossed that Gallagher and Ayunga are fit for Friday. Strain's injury looked quite bad, so he's a major doubt IMO.

We need to be way more savvy with respect to on field discipline.

Could be time to give Dylan Reid a chance in midfield. The lad is supposed to be the next big thing. Give him another chance. 

The new lad Taylor should also get a chance to show what he is about. 

21 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Could be time to give Dylan Reid a chance in midfield. The lad is supposed to be the next big thing. Give him another chance. 

The new lad Taylor should also get a chance to show what he is about. 

If Gallagher doesn't make it, then Gogic will have to play in defence, alongside Captain Joe and Taylor, if we stick with a back three.

I suspect that would leave O'Hara, Baccus and Kiltie in midfield. 

Not ideal, but with respect to suspensions, it's of our own doing.

12 minutes ago, Molotov said:

A 20% increase I could understand if the VAT had not been accounted for, but 100% increase just doesn’t wash.

But the Academy refurbishment was supposedly only due to cost under £100K but has allegedly quadrupled in cost. 

Were the boxes proposed during Tony’s time? 

12 minutes ago, Molotov said:

A 20% increase I could understand if the VAT had not been accounted for, but 100% increase just doesn’t wash.

But the Academy refurbishment was supposedly only due to cost under £100K but has allegedly quadrupled in cost. 

Saints would be able to claim back any VAT.

Building costs have gone through the roof 🙂 over the last year though.

Just now, Bobby_F said:

Saints would be able to claim back any VAT.

Building costs have gone through the roof 🙂 over the last year though.

Eh? Was this not just a few months ago? Timber prices went through the roof during Covid lockdown but that has returned to pre Covid prices.

Something other than the cost doesn’t add up here.

26 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Eh? Was this not just a few months ago? Timber prices went through the roof during Covid lockdown but that has returned to pre Covid prices.

Something other than the cost doesn’t add up here.

Ah, I could be wrong, but I thought I first heard mention of these about a year ago.

And I've had builders during 2022 telling me materials prices across the board were still sky high, mind you, they WOULD say that!

Just now, Bobby_F said:

Ah, I could be wrong, but I thought I first heard mention of these about a year ago.

And I've had builders during 2022 telling me materials prices across the board were still sky high, mind you, they WOULD say that!

I agree that the idea of executive boxes has been around for a while. 

However it was only made formal by Alan Wardrop in July 2022 at a SMISA meeting and follow up official email inviting clients.

To get as far as actually agreeing to a preferred solution and then signing commercial agreements with sponsors but then pulling the plug as costs have now doubled is not what I would class as professional. 

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

This must mean that we're 100%, definitely, without question, absolutely certainly running out of cash and can't afford to build the new exec boxes.

IMG_4468.jpg

Anyone who has built a house will tell you the final cost has no reflection on the orignal cost.  Refurbished a Bistro which turned out double the cost first quoted.  The price of materials recently have gone through the roof. If the cost of unit to rent income does not add up then I get why these boxes have been cancelled.  Nothing to do with cash flow with the club in my opinion.  

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Timber prices in the uk have most definitely not returned to pre-covid prices. I know someone who has to buy in timber weekly much to their cost.

FTFY.

777E5725-5FDB-4617-9BB3-EA9275FD72DB.thumb.jpeg.00a6590c2eb5d8faa35e48ec163bb128.jpeg

I have seen But was this not a metal box anyway?

How can costs double in 6 months?

It seems like mistakes have been made along the way.

Can't say I'm that arsed about these boxes being scrapped.

The artists impression looked extremely tin-pot to me, basically a shipping container with some seats bolted on to the top.

I'm sure they did say they had an agreement in place to rent one of them out which did surprise me, hopefully that sponsor will find another means of spending money in the existing hospitality set-up.

Fairly sure Saturday was Keanu's 6th yellow card of the season so he will also be suspended.

I don't think that will kick in before Friday though, there's usually a delay in the cumulative suspension starting, like the one Charles Dunne is about to serve.

1 minute ago, Div said:

Can't say I'm that arsed about these boxes being scrapped.

The artists impression looked extremely tin-pot to me, basically a shipping container with some seats bolted on to the top.

I'm sure they did say they had an agreement in place to rent one of them out which did surprise me, hopefully that sponsor will find another means of spending money in the existing hospitality set-up.

Agreed. But the club board explained it was an easy way to increase revenue and the figures all worked in the clubs favour.

Could we not rent out the dugout and get Brophy to bring out halftime pies and Bovril?

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

Anyone know if league suspensions carry on into the Scottish Cup ?  My first game this year can't wait. 

I think it depends on the nature of the offence.

Violent Conduct I think is 2 first team matches for example, so that would apply to all competitions, whereas if you picked up 2 yellows for instance or tripped the 6 yellows limit, then that suspension would only apply to League games.

I'm pretty sure that's right anyway.

Ethan and Dunne will both have served their suspensions after the Hearts game on Friday anyway and Fraser should be good for the cup game as his 2nd game will be the Celtic one in midweek.

Baccus suspension will be league only and I suspect he will miss either Celtic away on 18th or Motherwell at our place on 28th.

Can’t say the collapse of the executive box plan unduly bothers me, although it would have been interesting to see what it looked like when completed. As Div said, it did look like seats plonked on top of a shipping container. Would also have afforded something of a poor viewing position IMHO. Tucked in the corner between screaming weans in the South, and the shouty sweary fcukers in W1? Not for me. 😀

Almost doubling in price is the element of the story that piqued my interest. However, it’s no’ happening, so whatever happened there, and quite how something relatively simple like that can spiral to almost double the quoted cost, isn’t a question I can answer. Maybe better to ask those involved in dishing out ferry contracts, or vanity tram projects in Auld Reekie.

Edited by pozbaird