The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

With Robinson seemingly not fancying Brophy or Olusanya, is there a chance he looks to move on one, or both, this month?

I really feel bad for Olusanya. Injuries have meant he’s barely had a sniff of the first team, and when he has, he hasn’t exactly looked great. I don’t think we’ve seen enough of him to form an accurate opinion on him, but we really can’t afford to carry passengers into the final part of the season.

In terms of Brophy, he’s probably our most natural finisher, but he just can’t, or won’t, do the hard work that Robinson expects him to do off the ball in terms of pressing - the way Greive and Main did yesterday.

Seeing the Fraser one again, I think it is a red card. You have to take some kind of responsibility for your actions and as soon as he launches himself in the air he's out of control. He probably didn't mean to catch the Hearts player the way he did, but it happened and it is his fault. Like Erhahon last week, it's a moment of rashness that costs us a good player for the next couple of weeks. We are a spiky, combative team, but Robbo has to find a way of reigning that rashness in a wee bit, whilst keeping what's good about the way we play just now. TBF, it's not just us seeing a lot of red cards since VAR came in.

Hearts and Celtic away in the next couple of games will be tough, but after that we have a pretty good run until the split, with a chance to really push on. Hopefully we don't lose too many this window, and can start keeping 11 men on the pitch most weeks!

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Here are, unless I'm mistaken, the 7000+ attendances at the ground:

1. v Dundee Utd (2019) = 7732

2. v Kilmarnock (2009) = 7542

3. v Aberdeen (2022) = 7349

4. V Rangers (2019) = 7337

5. v Celtic (2018) = 7288

6. v Hearts (2023) = 7249

I am absolutely delighted the way this season has turned out off the park. If we keep these averages up some pub maths suggests we should be c250k better off in ticket sales This season - equivalent of a couple of good players!

I was a bit nervous when we made went so public with us announcing our intention to cut the OF allocation at the start of the season Incase it came back to bite us. However the response from the fans has fully justified the decision, and in turn we have been rewarded with the best home record we have season in a long time. 

I live too far away to attend games, but have been more than happy this season to donate a ticket regularly this season, and will continue to do so as long as we keep making the right noises off the park. 

Lasley, is no doubt the driver behind all of this, but SMISA and Kibble deserve huge amount of credit in this too as I’m sure he won’t have completely autonomy to make these decisions. 

Edited by geo87

Really good display yesterday. Gogic was excellent winning everything in midfield, closing down, tracking back, winning headers and pushing forward. Greive was also excellent never giving the Jambos defence a moment's peace .(Main and Greive offer a lot more that Main and Ayunga imho.) Yes he missed one sitter (one pass from Main was a yard too far in front and the other was played behind him - no chance with either), but otherwise pegged their defence back . Big Joe too had a very good game considering he hasn't played this season. Gallagher I would think should be fit for Fri as he just failed a fitness test at 1:30 on Sat and was close to starting. Hopefully Strain is OK. Onwards to Tynecastle.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Seeing the Fraser one again, I think it is a red card. You have to take some kind of responsibility for your actions and as soon as he launches himself in the air he's out of control. He probably didn't mean to catch the Hearts player the way he did, but it happened and it is his fault. 

Don't know what he was thinking.

When I heard the description of incident but hadn't seen it, I assumed that he was running full pelt towards the players and had to hurdle them to avoid collision.

Actually, he stopped and changed direction deliberately to jump over Olusanya and land where Grant was. Inexplicable.

18 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

When I heard the description of incident but hadn't seen it, I assumed that he was running full pelt towards the players and had to hurdle them to avoid collision.

Actually, he stopped and changed direction deliberately to jump over Olusanya and land where Grant was. Inexplicable.

I might be wrong, but I have a vague recollection of some niggle and a bit of a confrontation between the two of them a few minutes earlier.

Given Hearts had about 7 or more 1st choice players injured but still had a strong team and bench, and we are becoming stretched with 3 or so out, I would love us to keep Shaughnessey.  I know he's on big money but given his commitment and ability, instead of trying to offload him, we could utilise him more. He's a much better CB than Gogic (who is also much more effective in midfield) or most other options. 

I don't want him going to a rival either. 

If we make Europe we'll need a bigger squad too and the extra crowd money covers things. If Ethan or Baccus goes we'll be quids in.

Oh if we could win on Friday🌈

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

There was 1 minute to go and the ref had blown for a foul for us. Fraser jumped over the two on the ground to get the ball to take a quick free kick to launch it into the box for a last gasp attempt. Unfortunately he landed on the Hearts player.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

There was 1 minute to go and the ref had blown for a foul for us. Fraser jumped over the two on the ground to get the ball to take a quick free kick to launch it into the box for a last gasp attempt. Unfortunately he landed on the Hearts player.

That's one interpretation! If he was just trying to get to the ball not sure why he had to jump and land in that manner. Unorthodox if nothing else.

Also unorthodox, here's (3 minutes in) Jay Henderson's goal yesterday:

16 minutes ago, Yardley said:

I'd like to see us recall Offord and send Olysanya on loan. Looks like Brophy is out of the picture now but the club would probably be reluctant to loan him to a league rival. 

Olusanya is better getting game time with us. He needs confidence. Time for fans to back the lad. 

40 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Olusanya is better getting game time with us. He needs confidence. Time for fans to back the lad. 

He didn't exactly come onto the pitch as if he had a point to prove.

Maybe that's just his playing style, he didn't press onto the Hearts defenders when they were in possession. Maybe he was a bit shocked at the pace of the game, I don't know. 

Looked dangerous when running through with the ball at that chance, he showed a bit of pace and urgency then.

Would be silly to write him off though. Robinson is obviously going to back him more than Brophy given he's a Robinson signing. 

59 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Indeed.

I remember a lot of folk writing off Greive after a couple of games.

He's done not too badly.

I had been expecting Brophy to come on for Greive with about 20 or 30 mins to go. Still a bit of a mystery as Robbo hasn’t mentioned him yet. Can only think he went for Olusanya’s pace to try and pin some of their defenders back a bit. Either that or Brophy wasn’t to be risked because of a slight injury or with the return game at Tynecastle looming.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Agreed - if he doesn’t turn out to be a good signing then that’s cool, he’ll be on a relatively low wage and it’s a project that didn’t work.

Most of the stands groaning when he took his first touch of the ball yesterday was embarrassing and I felt awful for the guy. He’ll be knocking his pan in to try prove himself at this level and he needs encouragement,

We're without Fraser, Erhahon and Dunne due to disciplinary matters. Baccus, having picked up his sixth booking yesterday, will miss the Motherwell game, as the suspension kicks in 14 days after the sixth booking.

Ayunga is on five bookings, with both O'Hara and Gallagher on six. Not sure how it works with the latter two, as two of their bookings led to a red card and a subsequent suspension.

With injuries and suspensions kicking in, we're down to the bare bones.

Fingers crossed that Gallagher and Ayunga are fit for Friday. Strain's injury looked quite bad, so he's a major doubt IMO.

We need to be way more savvy with respect to on field discipline.

Edited by FTOF