The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I wonder what the difference in monetary value is between the quoted £350K* fee and any development fee we're due at the end of the season.

*It's The Sun, so could be a made up figure.:rolleyes:

Leaving next window gives us the opportunity to negotiate a sell on fee which would be more valuable than the development fee.

10 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

Leaving next window gives us the opportunity to negotiate a sell on fee which would be more valuable than the development fee.

Potentially.

Also, would it be more valuable than Ethan's current contribution to the team? Whether you rate him or not, he's been an integral part of a largely settled midfield, which, IMO, has performed consistently well so far.

The gamble is whether Gogic is an able replacement or indeed will a new signing (possibly McCalmont from Leeds) do the job.

Ethan leaving could be the difference between top six and bottom six.

Still, if we require immediate funds to balance the books a bit, then it makes sense.

Best of luck wherever Erhahon ends up. He's been excellent for us.

However, I can't help but think he'll be disappointed with the standard of club in for him. I'd have expected him to move to the Championship. Not Forest Green Rovers. It wasn't too long ago he was linked with a move to Serie A.

2 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Best of luck wherever Erhahon ends up. He's been excellent for us.

However, I can't help but think he'll be disappointed with the standard of club in for him. I'd have expected him to move to the Championship. Not Forest Green Rovers. It wasn't too long ago he was linked with a move to Serie A.

Bigger clubs are sometimes weird about young players when they reach a certain age. I think the last two years - COVID and then Goodwin - have scuppered his chance of a bigger leap.

That's not to say it can't still happen, but he'll have to take a smaller step in the short term.

Will be disappointing to lose one of the mainstays of the midfield three that have been so good for us this season but if we are to lose one of them right at the start of the window then Ethan is probably the least disruptive one.

Gogic is much more suited to playing that role than those of either O’Hara or Baccus IMHO and he’s very good at it too.

Ethan has been with us since he was five so I believe the development fee we were due would have been fairly substantial, maybe even as much as £300K but of course agents also have ways and means of getting round that by suggesting a move to a club where the dev fee wouldn’t apply.

That’s what happened with McGinn if you remember the sudden MLS interest that appeared just before he signed for Hibs.

£350K wouldn’t be brilliant but all things considered it’s not the end of the world if we also get a sell on % in the deal.

Some cash coming in would also hopefully strengthen our negotiating position over Baccus who really shouldn’t go for anything less than seven figures.

The good thing despite this disruption is that you’d have pretty good faith that Foyle and Robbo will already have a list of replacements lined up.

Given their track record of recruitment so far those players should be more than capable of slotting in to the system and who knows maybe even improving us further.

Interesting month ahead!

7 minutes ago, Div said:

The good thing despite this disruption is that you’d have pretty good faith that Foyle and Robbo will already have a list of replacements lined up.

Given their track record of recruitment so far those players should be more than capable of slotting in to the system and who knows maybe even improving us further.

It'd a weird one. Motherwell fans warned us to expect signing after signing that just wouldn't work out. Yet, Olusanya aside - who has been unlucky with injury - Robinson's tranfer buisiness so far has been excellent.

15 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

It'd a weird one. Motherwell fans warned us to expect signing after signing that just wouldn't work out. Yet, Olusanya aside - who has been unlucky with injury - Robinson's tranfer buisiness so far has been excellent.

I'm convinced we'd have seen Olusanya off the bench on Saturday had that third penalty gone in.

Bear in mind he was written off in the same games that Ryan Strain was, so I'm certainly intrigued to see him. Might suit him coming on late into a well-performing and settled side. Only doubt is I thought he was a winger so not sure how that'd work.

Had thought he'd have gone to a Championship club but at least if he goes to League One there's more chance of him playing and avoiding a McGrath/Mallan situation. Hopefully he goes to Portsmouth or he could end up in League Two next season.

Think it's a decent fee, hopefully with a sell-on - and I'm guessing more than we'd have got had he gone to Barnsley as he seemingly would had covid not happened.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm convinced we'd have seen Olusanya off the bench on Saturday had that third penalty gone in.

Bear in mind he was written off in the same games that Ryan Strain was, so I'm certainly intrigued to see him. Might suit him coming on late into a well-performing and settled side. Only doubt is I thought he was a winger so not sure how that'd work.

The one thing Olusanya definitely has which we are not overly blessed with is pace.

He should be an ideal sub to bring on later in games.

Won’t be writing him off on the back of anything we saw pre-season.

19 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Yeah, Motherwell fans also told us O'Hara and Gallagher were shit and laughed at us signing them, but they've been really good. 

As for Erhahon, I'm not sure he'd take a move to a mid or lower league one team. Kyle McAllister plays fairly regularly for Forrest Green Rovers, if that's what's on offer now, I could see him staying and taking his chances in the summer. I can't think of many players who've gone to that level and progressed, though I'm sure there must be a few, but it just seems to be where guys go, disappear for a few years, then end up back at St Mirren/Motherwell/St Johnstone, etc,etc.

Great business to get Kiltie signed up on a longer deal and encouraging to hear his words of praise for the squad and club in general in that article.

Also good to see “"We have offered contracts to four or five of the boys. He's the first one to commit and I see him playing a big part going forward."

Hopefully see a few others signing extended deals. I’d be offering O’Hara five years to be honest 🥰🥰

10 minutes ago, Div said:

The one thing Olusanya definitely has which we are not overly blessed with is pace.

He should be an ideal sub to bring on later in games.

Won’t be writing him off on the back of anything we saw pre-season.

Yeah I didn't mean universally written off, but some folk were calling Strain the worst right-back they'd ever seen 🙊

Agree totally about using him Olusanya as an impact sub, and, like I said, Saturday would've been ideal if things weren't quite so tight. Ayunga was dead on his feet and a bit of pace would have helped take the pressure off a bit.

21 minutes ago, RussellV1 said:

Kiltie signs a new deal until Summer 2025

So anyone still panicking over our finances as we are extending/offering contracts?

Kiltie extending is excellent news. Others to follow.

Money for Erhahon welcome and helping the future.

Win against Livingstone would be icing on the 1st half of the 2022-23 season.

Yes to above poster - O'Hara and Gallagher have been magic for us.

I wasn't exactly overwhelmed when we signed Kiltie, as I had never been overly impressed by him any time he played against us for Killie. However, he has been a very good signing for us. The problem with Kiltie is us finding a system in which he fits. If we can keep the current system going then he's very very decent.

Who else aside from Ethan is out of contract in the summer?

Gogic was excellent last season as our defensive midfielder so an able replacement to slot into the team. And Kiltie has also been excellent playing a wee bit deeper than he usually plays. He was tremendous against Newco when Baccus was out. And we are allegedly after Scott Robertson of Celtic (played 50 games in League One in Engerland and played in the Europa League) and a loan for Alfie McCalmont who has 4 full caps for Northern Ireland. So we have plenty of midfield cover.

And I was told Olusanya was the best player on the pitch in the bounce game against Blackpool.

Ethan was always going to go and with 6 months left on his contract best it happen now and we get some dosh to balance books and enhance the squad.