The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

21 hours ago, Lex said:

This about St Johnstone? We are unbeaten in our last four games against them and we've won the last two. 

St Johnstone have been assured that David Dickinson of Renfrew won't be appointed to the game though, which maybe gives us more of a chance.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Renfrew is full of Rangers supporters, you should be more clear about what point you are trying to make.

You'll have to ask the SFA why they admitted to St Johnstone that he shouldn't have been given that game and was told it won't happen again.

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Without trying to be too wanky about this (but probably failing), I think what's going on here is really revealing about the psychology of the Old Firm, on two key levels:

1) Their perception of the power that they feel their strength in numbers gives them.
2) The fact that they feel their sheer spending power gives them a hold over the rest of Scottish football.

What Saints have done undermines both of the above and you can see how much it has wounded their fragile pride. Firstly, you can't do whatever you want just because there's more of you and secondly we don't want your money.

The most affronted responses all have one or both of the above at heart. They're astounded that we would turn their money away, and/or they're annoyed because we are giving our own fans priority over them.

St Mirren have shat on two of the things that they enjoy most about being Old Firm fans and it's fantastic.

Not every club of our size is in a position to take this action (we barely are, tbf, hence the plea for contributions) but I really hope we can make it work, and I hope it shows other clubs that it can be done as well. As we see the financial disparity tip even further towards the cheeks (after last night's result), it's more important than ever to take action such as this where it's possible to do so.

How many of the wounded masses who are up in virtual arms actually attend away games anyway?

They will still see the game from the comfort of their flee bitten couch on their hooky sports channel…………….so they need to flute sorry pipe down.

55 minutes ago, Radford said:

You'll have to ask the SFA why they admitted to St Johnstone that he shouldn't have been given that game and was told it won't happen again.

Our referee for Saturday's game, Graham Grainger, is from Renfrewshire.

So someone is talking shite.

On 23/08/2022 at 11:37, Coventry Saint said:

It's certainly disappointing as he's been a great servant for us. But Gallagher has been great, Dunne looks solid now, and Gogic is Gogic. I guess Big Joe is too senior a player to be playing back-up. He could easily get another top flight gig, IMO. Could see him at someone like Killie or Livi, maybe.

Would be a good option for us if the 7 figure bids actually do materialise for Fitzwater. Always liked him as he seemed a very competent defender,

Craig Thomson was an ex St Mirren season ticket holder from Paisley, and he reffed us very regularly, he was in charge for both our league cup finals.
Always felt he gave us a bit of a hard time tbh.

Seems like Josh Reid will sign on Friday on loan. 

Pretty happy with the squad now 👍🏻

Edited to add: looks like I read that on Twitter from some hoax account so might not actually happen 😂🤦‍♂️

Edited by jm1

12 hours ago, Radford said:

St Johnstone have been assured that David Dickinson of Renfrew won't be appointed to the game though, which maybe gives us more of a chance.

David Dickinson was at school with my sons at Renfrew High, he is a nice lad , I was friendly with his late father . He has no affinity with St Mirren though , he and his family are all Rangers supporters. 

14 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Hope he's better than the last left back we signed on loan from Coventry............

Exactly what I thought when I heard it.

Mason gets a pass for his role in the Rangers defeat, at least. Shame the 'defensive winger' role is so rarely necessary.

25 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Exactly what I thought when I heard it.

Mason gets a pass for his role in the Rangers defeat, at least. Shame the 'defensive winger' role is so rarely necessary.

He defintely gets a pass in my opinion.

He looked good until that tackle he was on end of at Livingston that did more long term damage to his ankle than first let on. It tailed off badly after that and I think with good reason.

For a bit of context, his last game for us was January 2nd 2021.

He was so badly fucked by injury, that was his last game of football until two weeks ago.

Edited by djchapsticks