The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 01/08/2022 at 14:53, ZingaliMan said:

Reported the hooligan scenes by our so called supporters on Sunday totally unacceptable behaviour.  Also witnessed Arbroath fans being attacked after that game. Club is aware and will be discussed at tonight's board meeting . We are  a family club where no-one should feel threatened home or away fans good to know the club are looking into this. 

Think we could swap stewards and security? We had a good 100+ Rangers fans in the home end celebrating and goading Livi fans on Saturday. Security told me "Your club sold the tickets, they wanted this" :D Had a coin launched at my head that just missed as well. Security said they can't throw people out or put their hands on people.

10 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Think we could swap stewards and security? We had a good 100+ Rangers fans in the home end celebrating and goading Livi fans on Saturday. Security told me "Your club sold the tickets, they wanted this" :D Had a coin launched at my head that just missed as well. Security said they can't throw people out or put their hands on people.

The security is significantly softer when the cheeks are in town.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Probably because half of them are fans of either side 

This is probably true. It’s understandable why the Livi board will be maximising the profit of a sold out stadium. Could be the difference between signing two or 3 players in the Jan window.

But as a fan it’s hard to stomach when you see the one part of the ground set aside for home fans, being taken over by one half of the bigot sisters. 

If they sat and watched the game without drawing attention to themselves then fair enough, but to goad the home support in their own stand is just asking for trouble.

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

This is probably true. It’s understandable why the Livi board will be maximising the profit of a sold out stadium. Could be the difference between signing two or 3 players in the Jan window.

But as a fan it’s hard to stomach when you see the one part of the ground set aside for home fans, being taken over by one half of the bigot sisters. 

If they sat and watched the game without drawing attention to themselves then fair enough, but to goad the home support in their own stand is just asking for trouble.

There was a lot of trouble at the game because of it. It's all been made worse as the club put a statement out during the week before addressing the issue:

Cut to the game and you've got security refusing to throw people out. It wasn't like they were hiding it, they were walking around with Rangers tops on, scarves and actually down the front dancing and singing to their songs. If they sat on their hands and didn't celebrate you'd never know, but this was obvious and escalated to goading.

It's being made worse as the SLO said they'd be releasing a statement on Monday and still nothing :D

What pisses me off is St Mirren issue a statement before every game stating that any intolerance from fans will result in action being taken. Unless it is the OF that is. 5 mins in and the bile is being sung for all to hear except our BOD. I complained to the SLO who took it up with the Club and the Club response was they never heard anything. Cowards.

McGrath to Dundee Utd. They are building a decent squad. 

McGrath obviously wasn’t coming back to us, but I feel that’s the kind of player we have been missing, as zero goals in our three important games so far this season shows.
Someone like him and to a greater extent Ronan were guys with genuine quality who could provide a moment of magic to win a game, and they did on a regular basis.
If there is any room left in the budget this is the kind of player I’d like to see us go for before the end of the window. If we don’t add a regular goal scorer who can stay fit to the squad I really fear for us.

9 hours ago, Lex said:

McGrath obviously wasn’t coming back to us, but I feel that’s the kind of player we have been missing, as zero goals in our three important games so far this season shows.
Someone like him and to a greater extent Ronan were guys with genuine quality who could provide a moment of magic to win a game, and they did on a regular basis.
If there is any room left in the budget this is the kind of player I’d like to see us go for before the end of the window. If we don’t add a regular goal scorer who can stay fit to the squad I really fear for us.

While you wouldn't complain if either of them came back, I felt they both hugely papered over the cracks. We were heavily reliant on both and it contributed to hugely inconsistent form. Both McGrath and Ronan were in the squad that went 11 games without a win, remember.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

While you wouldn't complain if either of them came back, I felt they both hugely papered over the cracks. We were heavily reliant on both and it contributed to hugely inconsistent form. Both McGrath and Ronan were in the squad that went 11 games without a win, remember.

I'm sure I remember a certain poster telling us, when McGrath left, that Kiltie would step up to the plate and score double figures.:rolleyes:

McGrath is a great addition. Surprised he never broke through at Wigan as it's clearly a level he could cope with. No problem with him going to United, after all we weren't in the running for him. Not sure who takes United's penalties but that's going to change pretty soon.

McGrath is a good player, but I always felt his contributions were vastly exaggerated. Had his stats not been padded with 15 penalties he wouldn't have had a look in with Wigan. Good signing for United though.

Ronan was a far, far better player than McGrath. If he ended up at a league rival I'd be gutted.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

9 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

McGrath is a good player, but I always felt his contributions were vastly exaggerated. Had his starts not been padded with 15 penalties he wouldn't hacve had a look in with Wigan. Good signing for United though.

Ronan was a far, far better player than McGrath. If he ended up at a league rival I'd be gutted.

Accurate assessment of McGrath. 

He should have been head an shoulders above everyone last season up until his move to Wigan, though he never did show enough quality in his final year. 
Ronan on the other hand oozed class and you could see he was a top top player. At 24, he really needs to either be included in Wolves plans this season or seek a permanent move to a better league than ours. 

Yep having a quality player in the team who will regularly score important goals will always be the difference in a league where there’s not much between 8-9 teams. Last season it was Ronan, the season before it was McGrath.
This season we don’t have a player like that and it seems like the 3-5-2 system he is intent on playing won’t allow for one. So we get games like Arbroath and Motherwell where we dominate both, but we don’t have that bit of quality to score and we lose them.
It doesn’t bode well.

For whatever reason, McGrath couldn't get a game for Wigan last season when they were in League One - and as they got promoted he can't really argue he should have been playing. With them now being in the Championship, it's even less likely he'll get a game unless he moves so going to Dundee United makes sense.

Would happily have had him back or kept Ronan for another year as we don't really have a goal threat from midfield.