The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread

57 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Problem is, we’ve seen this movie before. Club in crisis? Fans raging? Manager’s jaiket on a shoogly peg? Just suffered a pumping? Relax! Your next game is at…..

Got to hope we don’t do our usual in circumstances like this - roll over and let the oppo’ tickle our tummy.

Sad but true. You just know this will happen

11 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I very rarely veer off of the St Mirren games and this thread. But I've just had a peek on the Motherwell thread.

f**k my old hat, they're a miserable bunch. Bad signings, need cover for X, Y and Z, lack of investment, too much investment, reckless spending, not enough spending, financial disaster looming, shit manager, deffo going to be sacked before Christmas, finishing top 6 is shit, hibs and Aberdeen have more money, but reassuringly they seem to have the same apathy to the Arse Cheeks as we have.

I felt strangly at home there, might start going back a bit more regularly... 

I think the St Johnstone one is even worse :lol: 

10 hours ago, davidmcc said:

Way too many unknowns at this point.  Urminsky, Strain, Bacchus and Ayunga could be brilliant.  Gallagher may get back to his best.  Brophy might stay relatively fit.  Main can only be better than last season (well possibly at least).  

Baccus looked bright against Edinburgh City, but I will reserve judgement on him until he plays a few games against teams on our level. He did come from the A-League though, which is of a comparable standard to ours, and by all accounts was highly regarded by the fans of Western Sydney Warriors. Early days, but he gives off the vibe of a pretty solid piece of business by the club. Similar story with Strain, who also performed well against Edinburgh, and looks like he will be an asset in attack this season. Defensively he hasn’t looked great so far although it’s very early days. 

Main is a guy that has severely underperformed for St Mirren so far, the last couple of games of last season excepted. Hopefully Robinson can rekindle the form he showed at Motherwell, because on his day he is an absolute handful for any centre half in this league. We all know he’s not a natural finisher, and he’s not going to all of a sudden start playing like Karim Benzema, but if he can spark a partnership with any of Grieve, Ayunga or Brophy then he can be a dangerous player for us. I recall Robinson using Main as a sort of makeshift battering ram for Motherwell; a strong, physical forward that could cause chaos in the oppositions 18 yard box, with balls launched in his general direction and Main having the energy to go and fight for it. Too many times last season he looked lethargic and plodded around halfheartedly closing down defenders. That might have been the instruction he was given, but in those final few games under Robinson he hardly stopped running whenever he was on the pitch, and he seemed to gain a confidence from the support of the fans who noticed how hard he was working off the ball, and he scored a couple of crackers in to the bargain. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Baccus looked bright against Edinburgh City, but I will reserve judgement on him until he plays a few games against teams on our level. He did come from the A-League though, which is of a comparable standard to ours, and by all accounts was highly regarded by the fans of Western Sydney Warriors. Early days, but he gives off the vibe of a pretty solid piece of business by the club. Similar story with Strain, who also performed well against Edinburgh, and looks like he will be an asset in attack this season. Defensively he hasn’t looked great so far although it’s very early days. 

Main is a guy that has severely underperformed for St Mirren so far, the last couple of games of last season excepted. Hopefully Robinson can rekindle the form he showed at Motherwell, because on his day he is an absolute handful for any centre half in this league. We all know he’s not a natural finisher, and he’s not going to all of a sudden start playing like Karim Benzema, but if he can spark a partnership with any of Grieve, Ayunga or Brophy then he can be a dangerous player for us. I recall Robinson using Main as a sort of makeshift battering ram for Motherwell; a strong, physical forward that could cause chaos in the oppositions 18 yard box, with balls launched in his general direction and Main having the energy to go and fight for it. Too many times last season he looked lethargic and plodded around halfheartedly closing down defenders. That might have been the instruction he was given, but in those final few games under Robinson he hardly stopped running whenever he was on the pitch, and he seemed to gain a confidence from the support of the fans who noticed how hard he was working off the ball, and he scored a couple of crackers in to the bargain. 

Main and Ayunga may just be the perfect fit

Without wanting to sound like Elvis, I can’t remember a season when I’ve been less enthusiastic about the start. Hope I’m wrong but I suspect a long struggle this season 

9 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Without wanting to sound like Elvis, I can’t remember a season when I’ve been less enthusiastic about the start. Hope I’m wrong but I suspect a long struggle this season 

15-16 was bleaker than this by a very long way.

Going into a Championship with Sevco and Hibs, Ian Murray in charge, absolutely random set of bargain basement signings.

20 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Main and Ayunga may just be the perfect fit

I quite like the look of Ayunga. He seems to have a bit of composure with the ball at his feet, even when surrounded by defenders. Admittedly I’ve only seen him against Linfield and Edinburgh but he scored 3 goals in those 2 games, and was getting in to the right positions.

Would quite like to see Grieve kick on a bit this year. He’s got the security of the extended contract now, and has shown glimpses of good forward play. He stills lacks that final bit of quality when presented with a goalscoring opportunity, and sometimes plays the wrong pass or tries to hold on to the ball for a split second too long. He does have a habit of getting himself in to the right positions for a tap in though, which is a good trait to have.

19 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Would quite like to see Grieve kick on a bit this year. He’s got the security of the extended contract now, and has shown glimpses of good forward play. He stills lacks that final bit of quality when presented with a goalscoring opportunity, and sometimes plays the wrong pass or tries to hold on to the ball for a split second too long. He does have a habit of getting himself in to the right positions for a tap in though, which is a good trait to have.

I'm a big fan of Grieve. He reminds me somewhat of Danny Mullen, in that he never stops running or chasing down lost causes, likes to get stuck in and isn't afraid of a challenge. 

Although, I do agree he needs to kick on a bit this year. If he can hit double figures for goals/assists this year then that would be a good return. I get the impression Robinson likes him, but I;m not sure his best position is on the left of a front 3.

Ayunga has goals in him, I just feel we need to find the right partnership for him. Could he benefit playing off of Main?

For me, Brophy is the best striker at the club. But his injury record really is becoming a big concern. I can't see him playing more than 20 games this season. I'd be amazed if he did.

Olusanya has been really unfortunate so far. I really haven't seen enough of him so far to have an opinion one way or the other.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

44 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

15-16 was bleaker than this by a very long way.

Going into a Championship with Sevco and Hibs, Ian Murray in charge, absolutely random set of bargain basement signings.

I don’t even remember that season despite going to the games. It must have been bad.

9 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I'm a big fan of Grieve. He reminds me somewhat of Danny Mullen, in that he never stops running or chasing down lost causes, likes to get stuck in and isn't afraid of a challenge. 

When I watched the Linfield game and seen a deliberate effort from our forwards players to be constantly pressing the centre halves and cutting off passing lanes, it got me excited for the season ahead. Grieve didn’t stop running, and you could see the wing backs pushing high up the pitch and the centre halfves out covering them, so it was a deliberate game plan. I didn’t see the Airdrie or Arbroath games, so don’t know if we pressed with the same intensity in those games?

We played that way at times under Jack Ross in the Championship, where we didn’t give the opposition a minutes peace no matter where they were on the park. It’s an exciting style of football to watch, and if you have an energetic midfield willing to bust a gut to get forward when the ball is turned over it can create 2 on 1s/3 on 2s etc.

Under Goodwin we seemed to allow most teams the space to wander up to the half way line, and would have our centre forward floating about just inside our own half. I’m not criticising the players for that as I’m sure that was Goodwins instruction, he preferred getting Main, Brophy etc. back infront of the ball instead of chasing down defenders. Obviously it’s not a tactic you would employ for every game, but at home against teams that we would expect to be bottom 6 it’s a tactic I would like to see used. 

2 hours ago, CambieBud said:

The start of the Tommy Craig season for definite.

Going in with a shite strip, shite signings, a manager that we suspected wasn't fit for purpose and a general apathy.

The Stubbs season as well started very optimistically but by time the Dundee game rolled around, many of us were very concerned at both the quality of football in display and lack of game plan coupled with the strong rumours that the dressing room was already gone by that point.

Our options up front last season were Main, Brophy, Erwin, Dennis / Greive .

4 centre-forwards on paper but 3 really as Goodwin had clearly decided that he didn't want Erwin on the park. We were limited to the point of near-crisis when a couple of them were injured or suspended. 

Going into this season, we have more guys who can play there and of different types: hopefully we can find a combination that works. 

Going in with a shite strip, shite signings, a manager that we suspected wasn't fit for purpose and a general apathy.
The Stubbs season as well started very optimistically but by time the Dundee game rolled around, many of us were very concerned at both the quality of football in display and lack of game plan coupled with the strong rumours that the dressing room was already gone by that point.
The best thing about that season was Tommy Craig giving a prolonged death stare to a journalist.

48 minutes ago, Mordecai said:
1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

The best thing about that season was Tommy Craig giving a prolonged death stare to a journalist.

Does anyone have a copy of that interview? I'd love to see that again! 

4 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Do you think Motherwell would pay money for Robinson?

We could then put Keith Lasley in charge with one of the former Well players in the team as Assistant. 

Instead of compensation I’d be asking Motherwell to take back all the shite we’ve acquired from them along with Robinson. Would be a fair deal.  

13 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Instead of compensation I’d be asking Motherwell to take back all the shite we’ve acquired from them along with Robinson. Would be a fair deal.  

Like?