The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I very rarely veer off of the St Mirren games and this thread. But I've just had a peek on the Motherwell thread.

f**k my old hat, they're a miserable bunch. Bad signings, need cover for X, Y and Z, lack of investment, too much investment, reckless spending, not enough spending, financial disaster looming, shit manager, deffo going to be sacked before Christmas, finishing top 6 is shit, hibs and Aberdeen have more money, but reassuringly they seem to have the same apathy to the Arse Cheeks as we have.

I felt strangly at home there, might start going back a bit more regularly... 

Edited by Doctor Sanchez

Yep for me our two best players last year were Alnwick and Ronan, both of them produced regular match winning performances.

Even if Carson does manage to stay fit enough to play 30+ games for us next season, which looks unlikely, he still looks to be a downgrade. Urminsky in line for a start on Sunday? Not having a reliable and undisputed first choice goalkeeper is a regular trait of sides struggling at the foot of the table. 

Ronan and his goals from midfield simply haven’t been replaced at all.  Can O’Hara and/or Kiltie fill that gaping void? I hope so, but I suspect not. 
With the way the league cup has gone it’s hard to be optimistic, but we’ll know more in a few weeks. We’ve got a pretty kind fixture list to start with, these first three league games in particular are huge:

Motherwell (h)

Aberdeen (a)

County (h)

We really should be aiming for six points minimum, which would be a good start. Four or five would be okay, three or less and the bad start continues.

1 hour ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I very rarely veer off of the St Mirren games and this thread. But I've just had a peek on the Motherwell thread.

f**k my old hat, they're a miserable bunch. Bad signings, need cover for X, Y and Z, lack of investment, too much investment, reckless spending, not enough spending, financial disaster looming, shit manager, deffo going to be sacked before Christmas, finishing top 6 is shit, hibs and Aberdeen have more money, but reassuringly they seem to have the same apathy to the Arse Cheeks as we have.

It was a miracle that Motherwell reached the top 6 and European football qualification. We were responsible for them achieving that goal. Our players bottled it at key games against them. That cost our club a lot of money.

I do wonder whether our contracts for players are geared towards high basic salary with limited rewards for performance goals.

It was criminal how poorly we performed last season in key season defining games in league and cup.

Even this season, the players should surely have been rewarded for qualification from league cup. We should not have been eliminated against three part time teams operating on a fraction of our budget.

Way too many unknowns at this point.  Urminsky, Strain, Bacchus and Ayunga could be brilliant.  Gallagher may get back to his best.  Brophy might stay relatively fit.  Main can only be better than last season (well possibly at least).  

7 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Another question is what is a good season for us?

With a big chunk of our season being played through the winter months, it's going to be tough for football clubs financially. There will be teams (most likely outside our league) who'll have serious problems paying their energy bills I would think. Wouldn't be surprised if we see start seeing early kick-offs to avoid the use of floodlights. Midweek fixtures being played in the afternoon perhaps. Come May, some fans might just be relieved that their club is still going.

For St Mirren, I've settled on being happy with "anything but relegation" and (as a season ticket holder who doesn't go to many away games) entertaining home games. Definitely didn't deliver on the latter in 21/22!

Edited by Buttocks Brown

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

With a big chunk of our season being played through the winter months, it's going to be tough for football clubs financially. There will be teams (most likely outside our league) who'll have serious problems paying their energy bills I would think. Wouldn't be surprised if we see start seeing early kick-offs to avoid the use of floodlights. Midweek fixtures being played in the afternoon perhaps. Come May, some fans might just be relieved that their club is still going.

For St Mirren, I've settled on being happy with "anything but relegation" and (as a season ticket holder who doesn't go to many away games) entertaining home games. Definitely didn't deliver on the latter in 21/22!

I am happy to avoid relegation too but i do feel a couple of players could make us battling top 6

30 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I am happy to avoid relegation too but i do feel a couple of players could make us battling top 6

It's fine margins often. We were a bawhair 2 seasons ago and a couple of moments in games last season could have turned it for us.

The top 6 sense of achievement is pretty short-lived anyway: just ask the Motherwell fans!

6 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I look at their thread as often as ours.  Some of the best posters on here. Definitely worth a look. 

I hope they bounce back after tonight and give St Johnstone a proper hammering next Saturday. 

In my opinion a good season for us would be staying out the relegation battle, which we have managed the last two seasons. Top six would be a great season.
At the moment I’d take being in a relegation battle and staying up as an acceptable season.
The fear of a stinker and relegation is very real at the moment.

3-0 aggregate defeat to Sligo Rovers suffered by this mob. If we can’t stick a couple past them at home on Sunday and get our season off to a winning start, then we want shooting.*

*All set up for 0-1 with their goal coming in 90+5 mins.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

3-0 aggregate defeat to Sligo Rovers suffered by this mob. If we can’t stick a couple past them at home on Sunday and get our season off to a winning start, then we want shooting.*

*All set up for 0-1 with their goal coming in 90+5 mins.

Deal. 

1 minute ago, 18May1991 said:

Deal. 

Problem is, we’ve seen this movie before. Club in crisis? Fans raging? Manager’s jaiket on a shoogly peg? Just suffered a pumping? Relax! Your next game is at…..

Got to hope we don’t do our usual in circumstances like this - roll over and let the oppo’ tickle our tummy.

57 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Problem is, we’ve seen this movie before. Club in crisis? Fans raging? Manager’s jaiket on a shoogly peg? Just suffered a pumping? Relax! Your next game is at…..

Got to hope we don’t do our usual in circumstances like this - roll over and let the oppo’ tickle our tummy.

Sad but true. You just know this will happen

11 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I think the St Johnstone one is even worse :lol: 

10 hours ago, davidmcc said:

Way too many unknowns at this point.  Urminsky, Strain, Bacchus and Ayunga could be brilliant.  Gallagher may get back to his best.  Brophy might stay relatively fit.  Main can only be better than last season (well possibly at least).  

Baccus looked bright against Edinburgh City, but I will reserve judgement on him until he plays a few games against teams on our level. He did come from the A-League though, which is of a comparable standard to ours, and by all accounts was highly regarded by the fans of Western Sydney Warriors. Early days, but he gives off the vibe of a pretty solid piece of business by the club. Similar story with Strain, who also performed well against Edinburgh, and looks like he will be an asset in attack this season. Defensively he hasn’t looked great so far although it’s very early days. 

Main is a guy that has severely underperformed for St Mirren so far, the last couple of games of last season excepted. Hopefully Robinson can rekindle the form he showed at Motherwell, because on his day he is an absolute handful for any centre half in this league. We all know he’s not a natural finisher, and he’s not going to all of a sudden start playing like Karim Benzema, but if he can spark a partnership with any of Grieve, Ayunga or Brophy then he can be a dangerous player for us. I recall Robinson using Main as a sort of makeshift battering ram for Motherwell; a strong, physical forward that could cause chaos in the oppositions 18 yard box, with balls launched in his general direction and Main having the energy to go and fight for it. Too many times last season he looked lethargic and plodded around halfheartedly closing down defenders. That might have been the instruction he was given, but in those final few games under Robinson he hardly stopped running whenever he was on the pitch, and he seemed to gain a confidence from the support of the fans who noticed how hard he was working off the ball, and he scored a couple of crackers in to the bargain. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Baccus looked bright against Edinburgh City, but I will reserve judgement on him until he plays a few games against teams on our level. He did come from the A-League though, which is of a comparable standard to ours, and by all accounts was highly regarded by the fans of Western Sydney Warriors. Early days, but he gives off the vibe of a pretty solid piece of business by the club. Similar story with Strain, who also performed well against Edinburgh, and looks like he will be an asset in attack this season. Defensively he hasn’t looked great so far although it’s very early days. 

Main is a guy that has severely underperformed for St Mirren so far, the last couple of games of last season excepted. Hopefully Robinson can rekindle the form he showed at Motherwell, because on his day he is an absolute handful for any centre half in this league. We all know he’s not a natural finisher, and he’s not going to all of a sudden start playing like Karim Benzema, but if he can spark a partnership with any of Grieve, Ayunga or Brophy then he can be a dangerous player for us. I recall Robinson using Main as a sort of makeshift battering ram for Motherwell; a strong, physical forward that could cause chaos in the oppositions 18 yard box, with balls launched in his general direction and Main having the energy to go and fight for it. Too many times last season he looked lethargic and plodded around halfheartedly closing down defenders. That might have been the instruction he was given, but in those final few games under Robinson he hardly stopped running whenever he was on the pitch, and he seemed to gain a confidence from the support of the fans who noticed how hard he was working off the ball, and he scored a couple of crackers in to the bargain. 

Main and Ayunga may just be the perfect fit

9 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Without wanting to sound like Elvis, I can’t remember a season when I’ve been less enthusiastic about the start. Hope I’m wrong but I suspect a long struggle this season 

15-16 was bleaker than this by a very long way.

Going into a Championship with Sevco and Hibs, Ian Murray in charge, absolutely random set of bargain basement signings.