Jump to content

The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread


Recommended Posts

Back to football for a bit….

 

looking at the squad it’s good that we have the options to play a few different ways. Last pre season Goodwin went all in with the 352 by not signing any pacey wingers.

Hard to work out which way Robinson is going to start the season, his defensive signings (Gallagher/Strain) I would say point to a 3/5 at the back with Strain seemingly more a wing back like Tanser. If we go with the expected back 3 it would leave Fraser and Tait as the back up options. But looking at the midfield and up front it points to a 433. Potentially Gogic (or A.N other DM)/Baccus/OHara with Ayunga/Brophy/Olusanya up top, with Henderson, Erahon, Kiltie, Flynn and Reid the back up midfield options and Main and Grieve up top(think Kiltie could start to be fair depending on what type of player Baccus is if Gogic doesn’t sign)

so if we are to bring 1 more in I would expect it to be Gogic or another defensive type midfielder and that could it? 

 

 

Edited by Stan Bo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Back to football for a bit….

 

looking at the squad it’s good that we have the options to play a few different ways. Last pre season Goodwin went all in with the 352 by not signing any pacey wingers.

Hard to work out which way Robinson is going to start the season, his defensive signings (Gallagher/Strain) I would say point to a 3/5 at the back with Strain seemingly more a wing back like Tanser. If we go with the expected back 3 it would leave Fraser and Tait as the back up options. But looking at the midfield and up front it points to a 433. Potentially Gogic (or A.N other DM)/Baccus/OHara with Ayunga/Brophy/Olusanya up top, with Henderson, Erahon, Kiltie, Flynn and Reid the back up midfield options and Main and Grieve up top(think Kiltie could start to be fair depending on what type of player Baccus is if Gogic doesn’t sign)

so if we are to bring 1 more in I would expect it to be Gogic or another defensive type midfielder and that could it? 

 

 

I think it depends what role Baccus is more comfortable playing. I think we lack a playmaker in midfield, not sure if that is his attributes or he's more defensive. It's one of the reasons I'd like to have signed Mallan, but that looks like it might not happen.

I really have no idea how we'll do this season - some of our signings are unknown quantities while for others it will depend on keeping their fitness or regaining form. Still, it's good to see the squad almost complete and without a loan signing in sight!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are certainly an experienced squad now.
Carson
Fraser-Shaughnessy-Gallagher-Tanser
Ayunga-O’Hara-Erhahon-Kiltie
Main-Brophy
Not saying that will be the line up or formation, but eight of those players have over 100 Scottish Premiership appearances. The three that don’t are Erhahon with a measly 76, and Carson and Ayunga who have both racked up plenty of games at a decent level in England. Three of that back four have been club captains in our top flight and the goalie is a full international.
None of them are past it either, Gallagher is the oldest of those outfield players at 31.
We also have decent level of cover in most positions. I expect the antipodean trio of Grieve, Baccus and Strain to start most games and there will be minutes for Olusanya, Henderson, Reid, Offord and Jamieson.
There will surely be more signings too. What could possibly go wrong?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our midfield needs a Gogic type of player to break up play. He for me would just about finish the squad. A couple of quality young loan signings and its looking good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Our midfield needs a Gogic type of player to break up play. He for me would just about finish the squad. A couple of quality young loan signings and its looking good. 

Gogic would kill two birds with one stone. He's the defensive midfielder we certainly need and would be the ideal backup at centre half I still think we need if we're going 3 centre halves every week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

Still here and still consistent. I fully support rehabilitation, my issue is where people don't take responsibility for past actions. I've not seen any interviews from Gallagher which expresses remorse and sympathy with his victim, which makes me uncomfortable with the signing- but I am willing to acknowledge this may have happened and I missed it. Martindale to his credit took responsibility, Charlie Adams has done likewise for his drink driving. Rehabilitation is possible and desirable, but there needs to be an acknowledgement of past mistakes and their impact for it to be possible.

 

Gallagher was convicted of a pretty serious physical assault, which has apparently left his victim with long lasting injuries. Personally I cannot condone that behaviour, but seeing as he had no previous convictions and hasn’t re-offended since, I would like to believe it was an isolated incident and something that Gallagher won’t be proud of. 
 

As much as we all like to think of ourselves as people that could never possibly find themselves in that situation, none of us know the exact details of the incident. That’s not to play down the seriousness of the offence, but more to say that mistakes can be made in life, and in situations like his I don’t think it’s right to hold that over him for eternity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're also approaching uncharted territory in terms of senior internationalists.

Carson and Grieve are regular squad members for N. Ireland and New Zealand.

Gallagher is obviously wanting to play his was back into consideration for Scotland. Brophy also has a cap but I think it's probably fairly unlikely he'll get back in the reckoning.

Baccus and Strain are both right on the fringes of the Australian national team squad. Strain got called up earlier in the year before injury forced him out and Baccus played at the Olympics last year and has been a regular for their U23s.

Ayunga has been called up for Kenya but never capped.

If Gogic signs, he's regularly starting for Cyprus. That would be potentially 5-7 current internationalists in the squad. Never known the likes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just having a gander at SkyBet odds. Pretty bizarre that ourselves and Ross County are the favourites for relegation and playoffs. County finished top 6 last season FFS and they are now favourites to go down.

St. Johnstone slightly ahead of us but looking at it, I'm far happier with our situation than Saintees who are adding to a lacklustre squad with a few pretty uninspired signings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Just having a gander at SkyBet odds. Pretty bizarre that ourselves and Ross County are the favourites for relegation and playoffs. County finished top 6 last season FFS and they are now favourites to go down.

St. Johnstone slightly ahead of us but looking at it, I'm far happier with our situation than Saintees who are adding to a lacklustre squad with a few pretty uninspired signings.

Mind when the bookies regularly had McGrath at 4/1 and 5/1 as anytime goalscorer?

That's an example of how much they know about Scottish football outwith the Old scum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Robinson has a pretty dogmatic approach to 433 unless he’s had an epiphany while at Morecambe.

Now he’s got a transfer window to pursue who he wants rather than an inherited squad, expect to see that from now on.

Foyle’s recruitment I think is a shade under what Alexander has achieved but not by far. Maybe revisit that in late August when all business is done.

While we joke about “playing across the front three” it’s because it has an element of truth to it, coming up repeatedly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Met a guy at my friends birthday party last night who claimed to be a friend of Ryan Flynn. Some of the stuff he was claiming he had been told by Flynn doesn’t paint Robinson in the best light to say the least, and if what he said has any truth behind it I wouldn’t expect to see either Flynn or Erhahon playing any sort of part in the coming season. Obviously it’s not the best source but the guy seemed genuine, and told me this unprompted after I said I supported St Mirren. 
 

Some of the stuff he did say may explain a few of the terrible performances near the end of last season, apparently Robinson is a very abrasive character and doesn’t seem to mind butting heads with the players at training, quite literally in the case of Flynn and Erhahon. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Met a guy at my friends birthday party last night who claimed to be a friend of Ryan Flynn. Some of the stuff he was claiming he had been told by Flynn doesn’t paint Robinson in the best light to say the least, and if what he said has any truth behind it I wouldn’t expect to see either Flynn or Erhahon playing any sort of part in the coming season. Obviously it’s not the best source but the guy seemed genuine, and told me this unprompted after I said I supported St Mirren. 
 

Some of the stuff he did say may explain a few of the terrible performances near the end of last season, apparently Robinson is a very abrasive character and doesn’t seem to mind butting heads with the players at training, quite literally in the case of Flynn and Erhahon. 
 

 

Not sure Bud, why give Flynn a new deal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Torfason said:

Not sure Bud, why give Flynn a new deal?

Did Flynn just get a new deal in the summer? Well that maybe points towards this guy talking nonsense then. As I say it’s not anything close to a reliable source but I didn’t think he had any reason to lie. I’m pretty certain he is close friends with Flynn though as he’s pictured with him all over his social media, and again it’s not the kind of thing someone would lie about, I hope. 
 

The guy was a Celtic fan who seemed to know an awful lot about the goings on at St Mirren, too much for your average Celtic fan, so that’s what made me think there might be something to what he was claiming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Met a guy at my friends birthday party last night who claimed to be a friend of Ryan Flynn. Some of the stuff he was claiming he had been told by Flynn doesn’t paint Robinson in the best light to say the least, and if what he said has any truth behind it I wouldn’t expect to see either Flynn or Erhahon playing any sort of part in the coming season. Obviously it’s not the best source but the guy seemed genuine, and told me this unprompted after I said I supported St Mirren. 
 

Some of the stuff he did say may explain a few of the terrible performances near the end of last season, apparently Robinson is a very abrasive character and doesn’t seem to mind butting heads with the players at training, quite literally in the case of Flynn and Erhahon. 
 

 

None of this would entirely surprise me. Robinson always struck me as quite agitated and abrasive on the sidelines, in contrast to JG who seemed much calmer by comparison. Having said that, there do seem to be a lot of players who are keen to link up with him again, so maybe some players are happy with that style.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

None of this would entirely surprise me. Robinson always struck me as quite agitated and abrasive on the sidelines, in contrast to JG who seemed much calmer by comparison. Having said that, there do seem to be a lot of players who are keen to link up with him again, so maybe some players are happy with that style.

That’s what I was thinking too, I could imagine Robinson getting heated with the players at training. The guy also said that Flynn told him Robinson is despised among last seasons squad, but I find that harder to believe. 
 

It’s possible that Flynn has told this guy a couple of stories that are probably quite normal for a training ground, and the guy is blowing them out of proportion to make himself sound like he knows more than he does. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim McLean and Alex Ferguson were what could be described as abrasive characters. They were also successful football managers. There are numerous other examples.

Clearly, none of us want someone who is an abusive arsehole at the club, however Flynn is a mature, experienced player, so it would be hoped he could formally call anything too untoward out through the established channels. I acknowledge it is easy for me to say, and definitely more tricky for younger players and staff.

Tittle-tattle can be corrosive, though, and I wonder if Flynn would appreciate his mate sharing this stuff with random folk at parties....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Football training grounds are workplaces, there are going to be arguments, falling ours and people who don't especially get on. There will also be a lot of venting afterwards, especially during times when results weren't great. At the end of the day, Flynn has just signed a new contract at the club, to essentially be a squad back up player when there is no doubt in my mind he could have left and become a key player for a championship or even League 2 in England side. We've also had a bunch of players (and some backroom staff) who have worked with Robbo before happily sign up to do so again.

The only guys who have left are McCarthy and Alnwick, who have gone to bigger clubs and will be earning money St Mirren couldn't hope to match, and Power who wanted to stay but was struggling at the end of last season and has probably done quite well to get into another premier team. None of this really points to massive disquiet in the dressing room and a hatred of Robinson. They might not like him on a personal level all the time, but they seem perfectly happy to work with him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Jim McLean and Alex Ferguson were what could be described as abrasive characters. They were also successful football managers. There are numerous other examples.

Clearly, none of us want someone who is an abusive arsehole at the club, however Flynn is a mature, experienced player, so it would be hoped he could formally call anything too untoward out through the established channels. I acknowledge it is easy for me to say, and definitely more tricky for younger players and staff.

Tittle-tattle can be corrosive, though, and I wonder if Flynn would appreciate his mate sharing this stuff with random folk at parties....

I agree, I don’t think Flynn would be too happy at his pal telling a St Mirren fan he had met for 30 seconds about incidents that had happened at training. As I said above I do think the stories were slightly embellished to make them sound more dramatic. He was quite specific in some of the details, but I won’t post any of that on here when ultimately its a third hand story from a guy in a pub. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • djchapsticks changed the title to The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...