The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

45 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I'd be amazed if even one of our supporters would get behind a child rapist.

I do agree that lack of a moral compass of our football clubs has been a significant issue. However, perhaps things are slowly changing - the Goodwillie situation, response to Ryan Giggs and Mason Greenwood are perhaps examples - yet there are still glaring inconsistencies. Harry Paton is facing similar charges to Greenwood yet played most of last season for Ross County without comment. Goodwillie had been playing for Clyde and made captain by Danny Lennon with no fuss, wrongly in my opinion. It is this inconsistency that is baffling.

Regarding Gallagher, there is a powerful argument for rehabilitation- the offence occurred 7 years ago with no repetition, he has served his sentence and has played for three clubs and been capped by Scotland since then. My only issue is interviews I have seen from him after the offence and sentence spoke of the impact on him and his family, but not on the victim - though I could have missed any statements of remorse from him.

Fucking hell, where’s the real Hendo went?

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

6 former players (Carson, Tait, Dunne, O'Hara, Main and now Gallagher) and 4 former staff (Lasley, Robinson, O'Carroll and Foyle).

It’s feckin mental. If you guys can’t come up with some banners or songs this season to make a joke of this then I’ll be disappointed.

It actually adds a bit of interest to the games between our clubs this season. Bring it on.

12 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

It’s feckin mental. If you guys can’t come up with some banners or songs this season to make a joke of this then I’ll be disappointed.

It actually adds a bit of interest to the games between our clubs this season. Bring it on.

Not one of these players started their careers at Motherwell, just passed through. 

I fail to see the big deal. 

5 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Hibs and ex St Mirren players must be close.

I think in the January of the 2020/21 season Hibs had 6 former Saints (P McGinn, S McGinn, Magennis, Mallan, McGregor and Samson (who was registered as a player for a bit)) in their squad. 

Signed a few more since then too. 

21 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Fucking hell, where’s the real Hendo went?

Still here and still consistent. I fully support rehabilitation, my issue is where people don't take responsibility for past actions. I've not seen any interviews from Gallagher which expresses remorse and sympathy with his victim, which makes me uncomfortable with the signing- but I am willing to acknowledge this may have happened and I missed it. Martindale to his credit took responsibility, Charlie Adams has done likewise for his drink driving. Rehabilitation is possible and desirable, but there needs to be an acknowledgement of past mistakes and their impact for it to be possible.

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's almost beyond parody now. No shame in it, tbh: Motherwell have stood out as a club that does things the right way for some time now and, while the players have little to do with that, I'm intrigued to see the influence Robbo and especially Lasley have on our club.

Aye, absolutely fair play to Robinson for embracing it and fully committing to the bit though.

Agreed, I'm interested to see how Lasley transitions into that sort of role.

22 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Not one of these players started their careers at Motherwell, just passed through. 

I fail to see the big deal. 

Aye, its being blown way out of proportion. 

I could understand it if Stephen Robinson had came in and signed all 6 players straight from Motherwell this summer, but he hasn’t, he’s signed one. The rest were either signed by JG or came via 1 or 2 other clubs, after their time with Motherwell. 

15 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I don't know where the no remorse part comes from. Gallagher served his time and has since spoken of his gratitude of being given a second chance to prove himself as a good person. 

Any time he discusses the incident it is all about him, and not a single mention of his victim.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Harry Paton is facing similar charges to Greenwood yet played most of last season for Ross County without comment.

The news story about this came out last month, and I only saw it yesterday. I'm not sure if his release from Ross County was related to this or not, but his alleged offences certainly weren't in the public domain during last season as far as I know. I don't think you can blame people for not having the ability to see into the future or not knowing about the incidents.

Edited by craigkillie

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The news story about this came out last month, and I only saw it yesterday. I'm not sure if his release from Ross County was related to this or not, but his alleged offences certainly weren't in the public domain during last season as far as I know. I don't think you can blame people for not having the ability to see into the future or not knowing about the incidents.

They were definitely reports in the media around Paton before Christmas.

Aye, not even hard to find. This is from September. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/crime-courts/3475178/exclusive-premiership-footballer-accused-of-assaulting-and-abusing-ex-partner/

Edited by RandomGuy.

43 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Still here and still consistent. I fully support rehabilitation, my issue is where people don't take responsibility for past actions. I've not seen any interviews from Gallagher which expresses remorse and sympathy with his victim, which makes me uncomfortable with the signing- but I am willing to acknowledge this may have happened and I missed it. Martindale to his credit took responsibility, Charlie Adams has done likewise for his drink driving. Rehabilitation is possible and desirable, but there needs to be an acknowledgement of past mistakes and their impact for it to be possible.

I think when Gallagher signed with us after being in jail there was some talk at the time about remorse and moving on to rebuild his life 

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/crime-courts/3475178/exclusive-premiership-footballer-accused-of-assaulting-and-abusing-ex-partner/

Aye, it was brought up and mentioned in the County thread back in January.

There's a quoted extract from that article.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks.

There is a line to be drawn here between someone who has a violent past such as Gallagher, McGowan, Broadfoot and even a history of non-violent crime such as Charlie Adam (drink driving) and for the older Saints fans Barry Lavety and John Boyd compared with fucking rapists and child abusers.

Where that line is, is not for me to decide but FFS, the furore over Griffiths potentially signing back in January and the unrest that caused in about 99% of our support shows that it wouldn't be tolerated and Griffiths wasn't even convicted of anything.

You’ve taken the words right out of my mouth. Every one of us has a different view on something like this. Everyone has a different ‘tolerance threshold’ or ‘moral compass’. Zouma kicking a defenceless cat. Drugs offences, assault, whatever. 

Let’s just take a moment though to review what Oaksoft is suggesting. Convicted child rape.

The actual fcuk sake.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cheers, I definitely hadn't heard about it until someone shared a story (which was from May) with me yesterday - I guess I wasn't on the Premiership forum much last season, but perhaps the lack of noise about it proves the original poster's point.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I think when Gallagher signed with us after being in jail there was some talk at the time about remorse and moving on to rebuild his life 

The thing is, "remorse" and "moving on to rebuild your life" are two different things. Remorse involves having some sort of understanding, regret for your actions and empathy with others, primarily the victim of your offence. Moving on to rebuild your life just means not doing it again.

I'm not saying that Gallagher hasn't shown remorse, just that I'm not aware of it.

11 minutes ago, Bobby Boulders said:

Welcome to the St Mirren thread, where Kilmarnock and St Johnstone fans meet to discuss the potentially criminal behaviour of Ross County players. 

Thats not entirely true.

St Johnstone fans also come on here to tell us they drive a big, expensive car.