The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

IMO "listen to offers" means the fee will be nowhere near as big as we'd like.

Utter nonsense it means theres going to be a bidding war

3 minutes ago, elvis said:

Utter nonsense it means theres going to be a bidding war

Reports like this make me think otherwise… Was pretty underwhelming last season compared to the season before IMO. 

E72A7E9F-437F-4DAC-AD3B-547E476E3366.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

IMO "listen to offers" means the fee will be nowhere near as big as we'd like.

Yeah agreed. I was thinking that for all the £50m chatter, Villa being open to him leaving knocks that down to somewhere in the £20-£30m bracket.

Sometimes if I’m fed up and it’s quiet on here I go back and look at random old threads/earlier pages of long running threads and I found a post from about 2016 about Dundee potentially signing John McGinn from St Mirren with fans from both sides questioning the potential £200k fee.

20 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Even if McGinn does leave for the low end of the speculated value, we're still in for a decent return. 

IIRC Hibs have a 15% sell on of which Saints will get 30%. Saints will also get 3% of the full fee according to the UEFA Solidarity payments.

I inferred from 'will listen to offers' that he's said he wants to go and, rather than spend all summer dicking about, Villa want to sell him and move on. Still, any fee over 30m will be amazing news for us and the sooner it happens the better.

A 30m fee would be 4.5m for hibs of which we get 1.35m, + 900k solidarity. It's still money the likes of which we're not used to receiving.

Surely if he has made it known that he 'wants to go', he must believe there is interest from some big clubs. And if a bigger club than Villa wants him they will want plenty of dosh for him. Hopefully we are in the ££££££££££

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I inferred from 'will listen to offers' that he's said he wants to go and, rather than spend all summer dicking about, Villa want to sell him and move on. Still, any fee over 30m will be amazing news for us and the sooner it happens the better.

A 30m fee would be 4.5m for hibs of which we get 1.35m, + 900k solidarity. It's still money the likes of which we're not used to receiving.

I agree with this, I reckon he wants to move and Villa are ok with it. £30m seems top end to me to be honest, just with McGinn not being English, and not being EU either, it's hard to see him going to a champions League club here or abroad. Newcastle seems a fairly decent bet.

There does seem to be some some suggestion in some reports I've seen that he's spat the dummy a bit and is a bit difficult behind the scenes. You are never sure about these things, but having seen his last season with us, I think he does have it in him.

The EPL is wild, the tax on English players is crazy. Raphinia at Leeds is going to go for about 60-70M where as Grealish went for 100M. I know who I'd rather spend the money on.

How long does he have left on his contract? I think Villa would be lucky to get 20M from what I've seen of him this season. Maybe a case of moving to a bigger club to kick on again but who will buy him? None of the top 6 anyway you'd imagine. 

Hate to say it but I think he has peaked. Still a fantastic player and one of the national teams most important players though. 

Scandinavian football finance website Off The Pitch has just announced its findings after its Europe-wide annual review of the economic health of the sport.

They found that two Premiership clubs are in the top ten best-run clubs on the continent – and Celtic and Rangers didn’t come close. Hibs came in at number six and St Mirren were just two places below them, with both clubs praised for adjusting to life without paying customers and living within their budget.

Celtic and Rangers left in shade as two Scottish Premiership rivals among 'best run clubs' - Daily Record

8th best run club in Europe. :thumsup2:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF