Jump to content

The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread


Recommended Posts

Hibs announced Lee Johnson's appointment less than two weeks before Paul signed his extension. Not clear if he started on that date but nonetheless Paul's extension was automatically triggered before the new manager had any chance to assess his playing staff.

However Hibs seemed to have fucked up with another contract and have signed Bushiri whom they didn't want but a contract was automatically triggered due to appearances. Think they need a new contracts manager.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Hibs announced Lee Johnson's appointment less than two weeks before Paul signed his extension. Not clear if he started on that date but nonetheless Paul's extension was automatically triggered before the new manager had any chance to assess his playing staff.

However Hibs seemed to have fucked up with another contract and have signed Bushiri whom they didn't want but a contract was automatically triggered due to appearances. Think they need a new contracts manager.

Paul McGinn signed his extension ages ago, well before LJ was in place.

Another (very good) player has apparently also signed an extension around the same time, and that hasnt been announced yet.

They know last season was a shitshow, so held back the media on these contract extns / triggers until some of the toxic social media shite simmered down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Then it's a very strange situation.

Can only assume they've got another RB lined up and perhaps McGinn won't be first choice. He's always been the type of player who wants minutes; not happy not playing. Look at when he left us the first time.

I did wonder if Ross might take the United job and bring him there. Though I rate Smith, and so does Ross.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Can only assume they've got another RB lined up and perhaps McGinn won't be first choice. He's always been the type of player who wants minutes; not happy not playing. Look at when he left us the first time.

I did wonder if Ross might take the United job and bring him there. Though I rate Smith, and so does Ross.

I’d take Paul  McGinn back any day as he is far better player than Marcus Fraser.

Edited by glenburn bud
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s not a slight on Marcus Fraser, it’s more to do with Paul’s ability to get forward and help create things and chip in with the odd goal. 

Marcus is a decent defender but offers little going forward. 

Both players can adapt and fill in various positions when called upon, but Paul is the all round better footballer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.stmirren.com/fans-news/4456-season-ticket-holders-go-free-to-st-mirren
 

I think the club should have added a footnote for supporters to this story…

Would all supporters please note that the Hartlepool friendly is against Paul Hartley, while the Crusaders friendly is a testimonial game for Paul Heatley. Any supporters frequenting the Crusaders bar and beer garden, please remember the difference when the songbook is trotted out.. 😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

https://www.stmirren.com/fans-news/4456-season-ticket-holders-go-free-to-st-mirren
 

I think the club should have added a footnote for supporters to this story…

Would all supporters please note that the Hartlepool friendly is against Paul Hartley, while the Crusaders friendly is a testimonial game for Paul Heatley. Any supporters frequenting the Crusaders bar and beer garden, please remember the difference when the songbook is trotted out.. 😜

Wise words.

Of course, our dislike of Hartley all stems from one incident where Paul McIntyre kicked him, got sent off and we thought Hartley made a meal of it.

One incident. I'm sure he's a decent bloke really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Wise words.

Of course, our dislike of Hartley all stems from one incident where Paul McIntyre kicked him, got sent off and we thought Hartley made a meal of it.

One incident. I'm sure he's a decent bloke really.

One incident is enough though. Danny McGrain, Ross Tokely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Hartley's goal celebration in that game, where he went out of his way to run the whole length of the Saints support in the Main Stand at Firhill,  arms aloft while staring us down with a weird deadpan facial expression might have been what alerted us to the type of character he was, rather that one incident where he may have dived.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, pozbaird said:

One incident is enough though. Danny McGrain, Ross Tokely.

Tokely was different though as his challenge on Chris Kerr was a disgrace. He went in to do him as Kerr had ripped the pass out him a few times.

Hartley was always more of a pantomime villain. He must've loved it as he always played well against us and scored on a few occasions. I've got a bit of time for players who give a bit back to the fans. If you've been taking pelters for years, then you're quite within your rights to cup your ear to the fans after scoring a late equaliser. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Tokely was different though as his challenge on Chris Kerr was a disgrace. He went in to do him as Kerr had ripped the pass out him a few times.

Hartley was always more of a pantomime villain. He must've loved it as he always played well against us and scored on a few occasions. I've got a bit of time for players who give a bit back to the fans. If you've been taking pelters for years, then you're quite within your rights to cup your ear to the fans after scoring a late equaliser. 

Tokely - ICT had put us out the Challenge & League cups earlier that season, both midweek games up in Sneck, I've always wondered if there was previous between between them from these matches cos my memory is of that tackle coming from nowhere, it couldn't even be called mistimed it was an assault.

Hartley - Never minded him, as you say he was a pantomime villain, first noticed at an end-of-season game back in 94/95 when he took a corner at the Love Street/North Bank corner from which they took the lead and he ran down the touchline in front of us with his hand cupped to his ears, we actually came back to win that game 3-2 but it was one of the few times we  got the better of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I think Hartley's goal celebration in that game, where he went out of his way to run the whole length of the Saints support in the Main Stand at Firhill,  arms aloft while staring us down with a weird deadpan facial expression might have been what alerted us to the type of character he was, rather that one incident where he may have dived.

1995 I think?

We’d gone 2-0 up, I think Yardley scored at least 1 and Accies came back to draw 2-2 with Hartley scoring both?

He was only 19 at the time, maybe even still 18. Just acting like a kid would done having broken into the first team and scoring twice like that. He at least had the ability to back up his bravado 

Edited by Captain Saintsible
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, btb said:

Tokely - ICT had put us out the Challenge & League cups earlier that season, both midweek games up in Sneck, I've always wondered if there was previous between between them from these matches cos my memory is of that tackle coming from nowhere, it couldn't even be called mistimed it was an assault.

Hartley - Never minded him, as you say he was a pantomime villain, first noticed at an end-of-season game back in 94/95 when he took a corner at the Love Street/North Bank corner from which they took the lead and he ran down the touchline in front of us with his hand cupped to his ears, we actually came back to win that game 3-2 but it was one of the few times we  got the better of him.

I remember a game against Hearts at Love Street, we were leading 2-1 and there was a lull in the game whilst someone got treatment before a Hearts free kick

Hartley was waiting to take the free kick in front of the North Bank and the Saints fans were giving it “Hartley, Hartley, what’s the score”

Of course, he put in a cracking delivery, Hearts equalised and he promptly turned round with 2 fingers up in each hand. I actually thought it was a witty response! 

Edit - dredging up petty incidents from approaching 30 years ago as if they happened recently makes me feel very old 😆

 

Edited by Captain Saintsible
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

1995 I think?

We’d gone 2-0 up, I think Yardley scored at least 1 and Accies came back to draw 2-2 with Hartley scoring both?

He was only 19 at the time, maybe even still 18. Just acting like a kid would done having broken into the first team and scoring twice like that. He at least had the ability to back up his bravado 

I think there was a lot of us that day, IIRC it was Yardley's debut and we scored from the KO with the pass to the left side and a cross into the box for the big man - did it ever work again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

I remember a game against Hearts at Love Street, we were leading 2-1 and there was a lull in the game whilst someone got treatment before a Hearts free kick

Hartley was waiting to take the free kick in front of the North Bank and the Saints fans were giving it “Hartley, Hartley, what’s the score”

Of course, he put in a cracking delivery, Hearts equalised and he promptly turned round with 2 fingers up in each hand. I actually thought it was a witty response! 
 

 

And got booked for it.

Then later booked again. :lol: 

That was the game that future Scotland regular Christophe Berra got utterly annihilated by Stewart Kean to the point where Hearts hooked him after the first 20 or so minutes, only for Kean himself to depart injured a minute or two later.

Was rare you see one of our players have quality opposition players on toast like that day. 

Edited by djchapsticks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • djchapsticks changed the title to The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...