The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread

To be honest, I think if Goodwin really is trying to sign guys like Dunne and Gogic then he's not going to last long at Aberdeen. These guys are decent players for us that fit our budget, but they are not up and coming youngsters, and I don't think they are overlooked diamonds as well, they are where they probably deserve to be. Aberdeen have a budget that dwarfs ours, I can understand them going for guys like Alnwick or Ronan, but not squad players like Dunne, or guys who didn't make it at Hibs.

In case there were any lingering doubts about Ethan and Goodwin not getting along, Erhahon has posted this on his Instagram, with (I assume) Lee Erwin adding the clearly pisstaking comment...

I'm not stirring, nor taking sides, but it's fairly clear EE and JG didn't see eye to eye.

Screenshot_20220516-152246.png

Screenshot_20220516-152321.png

36 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

In case there were any lingering doubts about Ethan and Goodwin not getting along, Erhahon has posted this on his Instagram, with (I assume) Lee Erwin adding the clearly pisstaking comment...

I'm not stirring, nor taking sides, but it's fairly clear EE and JG didn't see eye to eye.

Screenshot_20220516-152246.png

Screenshot_20220516-152321.png

To be honest, I think there were a few players that didn't like Goodwin too much. I'm pretty sure Cammy MacPherson wasn't happy under him. Looks like Erwin wasn't much of a fan either. I'm not even sure it matters that much, it could easily be that Sharpe and Langfield were the "morale" guys. 

46 minutes ago, GAD said:

To be honest, I think there were a few players that didn't like Goodwin too much. I'm pretty sure Cammy MacPherson wasn't happy under him. Looks like Erwin wasn't much of a fan either. I'm not even sure it matters that much, it could easily be that Sharpe and Langfield were the "morale" guys. 

Makes sense that guys who couldn’t get a game don’t like the manager. Some players use getting dropped as motivation to get their head down and work hard to get back in the team……….others sulk and stink out the place with their attitude, guess it defines who really makes it as a player.

40 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Makes sense that guys who couldn’t get a game don’t like the manager. Some players use getting dropped as motivation to get their head down and work hard to get back in the team……….others sulk and stink out the place with their attitude, guess it defines who really makes it as a player.

Aye, I guess the fact the club were easy to deal with when it came to getting Erwin and MacPherson out the door tells its own story. Though I see Erwin seems to be doing ok for his new club so far, on paper at least.

Goodwin said once in an interview that he felt Ethan was too immature around the training ground.

I also remember Goodwin admitting that he wasn't a great fan of Thommo as a colleague because he thought he was too full of carry on. The Thommohawk was an ex-international in his mid-thirties at the time!

Different personalities.... hopefully we'll see Erhahon really push on under the new gaffer. Meanwhile, Jim's man-management skills (or lack of) in the past month or so may come back to haunt him.

10 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Goodwin said once in an interview that he felt Ethan was too immature around the training ground.

I also remember Goodwin admitting that he wasn't a great fan of Thommo as a colleague because he thought he was too full of carry on. The Thommohawk was an ex-international in his mid-thirties at the time!

Different personalities.... hopefully we'll see Erhahon really push on under the new gaffer. Meanwhile, Jim's man-management skills (or lack of) in the past month or so may come back to haunt him.

To be fair, i think Tommo could be a bit mental at times. Apart from the McGinn spear incident, i'm sure there were reports from his time in England of threatening to drop toasters into pools that, if true, make you think he has some issues. Always seems so nice on Sportscene as well.

I always thought Goodwins man management was one of his strengths, players always seemed to give everything for him, but there you go.

9 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I always thought Goodwins man management was one of his strengths, players always seemed to give everything for him, but there you go.

Same here. Have been surprised to hear of everything coming out of Pittodrie. Jim himself said that players had "spat the dummy" and dressing room morale hadn't been good. He was getting pelters on Sportsound yesterday, particularly from Willie Miller, for the way Considine was treated. Not a good start up there.

41 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I'm pretty sure that he said those were his initial impressions but then they actually got on really well. 

I remember Thommo being on the radio, I presume it was Off the Ball, where the theme of the day was asking everyone who their favourite Irishmen were. 

Even the prompting of the presenters couldn't get him to add Goodwin to his list, after he hadn't mentioned him in his initial answer😀, which I found intereting at the time.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Both Danny Mullen and Cammy MacPherson fell into that category apparently.

So glad that this led to MacPherson's exit, given the pain that he's causing the Fakes fans at the moment. The fact that we got money for him is even more amusing.

2 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I remember Thommo being on the radio, I presume it was Off the Ball, where the theme of the day was asking everyone who their favourite Irishmen were. 

Even the prompting of the presenters couldn't get him to add Goodwin to his list, after he hadn't mentioned him in his initial answer😀, which I found intereting at the time.

I found it interesting yesterday that the handshake between McManus and Goodwin at the end of the game was so stony-faced. No words exchanged. Made me wonder what their working relationship was like.

Posted (edited)

Frankly, I’d be more surprised if I read that a football manager was universally liked by all his players and staff, and everyone got on like a house on fire. If there was friction between Goodwin and a few people, that is par for the course in any place of employment. Anyone reading this want to have a wee think about some of your experiences in your own place of employment!? The gossip in the work canteen, the bitching and back-stabbing?! Takes me back just thinking about it…. still wondering why nobody liked me. 😄

On the playing side of things, I’d be pretty happy if we kept Gogic, Erhahon and Main for next season. I just have the feeling that aside from being a decent player, Erhahon is in that ‘Murray and Van Zanten’ bracket, where St Mirren is just the right club for them to be at.

Edited by pozbaird

Following the conclusion of the 2021/22 season, the club can provide supporters with an update on the squad.

Ryan Flynn has agreed a one-year contract extension as has goalkeeper Peter Urminsky, while an offer has been made to Alex Gogic following the expiry of his loan agreement.

St Mirren Youth Academy graduates Kieran Offord and Dean McMaster will also move up to the first-team on a permanent basis next season, while Fraser Taylor has been offered a first-team contract.

We can confirm that Alan Power, Kyle McAllister, Matt Millar and Josh Jack will leave the club following the expiry of their contracts, while Connor Ronan and Jordan Jones have returned to their parent clubs Wolverhampton Wanderers and Wigan Athletic respectively. We thank them all immensely for their contributions to St Mirren and wish them all the best for their future.

Offers were made to Jak Alnwick and Conor McCarthy following the expiry of their contracts, however, both have decided that their future lies elsewhere and they too leave with our best wishes.

The club is working hard to add to the core of players already at the squad and will continue to update supporters as this progresses.

To be honest I would have let Flynn and Tait go as well. Still hoping we get a bid for Ethan. Delighted Urminsky is being retained. Would love to see how good this lad is. 

• djchapsticks changed the title to The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread