The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Jordan Jones was the sort of player we should have went for, didn't work out sadly. He hardly kicked a ball all season when we signed him, that's the risk you take in January. Never looked fully fit and confident. Maybe with a good pre-season under his belt he'd no doubt be an asset in this league.

What was the script with Jones, I never kept up with it and he seemed to disappear from the team sheets. Just injury? Thought he did well when he played though.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

What was the script with Jones, I never kept up with it and he seemed to disappear from the team sheets. Just injury? Thought he did well when he played though.

He's back at Wigan now, injury seemingly but I'm not sure if Robinson ever fancied him.

Definitely doesn't fit his 3-5-2 

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

Seriously He was one of the worst players I have seen at St Mirren .

6 minutes ago, elvis said:

Seriously He was one of the worst players I have seen at St Mirren .

He contributed very little but don't talk shite. 

Jones isn't even one of the worst St. Mirren players of the past 5 years much less the worst in memory.

2 hours ago, Buddiesaint said:

If he's going to continue to play wide right, he'll  be competing with Jay Henderson on the right wing 

I am curious as to how people think he'd fit into a 3-5-2/5-3-2 if that's going to be our default - will he take one of the front 2 spots and just naturally play the role wider, or will he take the wingback role? 

He played on the left of a front 3 in a 4-3-3 formation at Morecambe under Robinson 

41 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He's back at Wigan now, injury seemingly but I'm not sure if Robinson ever fancied him.

Definitely doesn't fit his 3-5-2 

Robinson played 4-3-3 at Morecambe

My thinking is he switched to 3-5-2 with us because off the number of goals we were shipping.

He may go with 4-3-3 once he gets some of his own players in 

Robinson played 4-3-3 at Morecambe
My thinking is he switched to 3-5-2 with us because off the number of goals we were shipping.
He may go with 4-3-3 once he gets some of his own players in 

Think he’s gone with that system as it’s what currently suits the players at our disposal. Been working fine the past few games to be fair.

Not going to lie, I always prefer a back 4. Problems with it? Sure. Will it succeed against the top teams? Nope, but we won't be playing them. All in all it just feels more "natural" to me.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He contributed very little but don't talk shite. 

Jones isn't even one of the worst St. Mirren players of the past 5 years much less the worst in memory.

He was fucking abysmal I have never ever come across a so called player who was more acquainted with the ground than he was with a ball .

2 minutes ago, elvis said:

He was fucking abysmal I have never ever come across a so called player who was more acquainted with the ground than he was with a ball .

He wasn't good by any measure. One of the worst we've EVER seen in a Saints shirt though?

Nah, that's pish.

With Curtis Main hitting the post tonight, surely time for @Ric to withdraw his criticism 

If we include the goal he almost scored at Parkhead, that’s nearly 3 league goals he might have had this season (if he’d scored the 2 he didn’t score) 

1 minute ago, Captain Saintsible said:

With Curtis Main hitting the post tonight, surely time for @Ric to withdraw his criticism

Now, now.. Capt, you know how it goes, you stick to your guns even when wrong. Hell, you've built a career on here doing just that.. ;)

So, one relatively meaningless fixture to go to kill off this season. We've had plenty of ups and downs this year but happily our Premiership survival has been achieved, and we live to fight another Premiership season. 

Now there'll be a few weeks holiday followed  by a massively important close season for Steven Robinson, since potentially we will be faced with an even tougher league next season with Killie likely to be stronger than woeful Dundee, and surely Aberdeen and Hibs can't be as shit as they've been this season. So player recruitment will be key. 

But how many recruitment mistakes have been made in the past because recently incoming managers have the unfortunate habit of signing players they have worked with previously ? And how few of these recruits have transitioned successfully into our first team ?

For example, I'm thinking about Danny Lennon's glut of signings from Cowdenbeath. Darren McGregor (a success) and umpteen duds. Or Jack Ross's influx of Alloa signings. Any successes there?

So far SR has lined up four new players for next season, two being ex-Motherwell and one ex-Morecambe. A familiar pattern? Who knows, these might all turn out to be cracking signings (here's hoping), but I'm already concerned that we are fishing in a smaller pool than we ought to be. 

I hope the rest of our signing targets are more imaginative. 

22 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

For example, I'm thinking about Danny Lennon's glut of signings from Cowdenbeath. Darren McGregor (a success) and umpteen duds. Or Jack Ross's influx of Alloa signings. Any successes there?

One - Jordan Kirkpatrick - doesn't quite qualify as an 'influx'.

Think you might be meshing together Alloa and Albion who we signed both Ross Stewarts from. :lol:

• djchapsticks changed the title to The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread