Jump to content

The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, btb said:

The value of these "starlets" is often at it's greatest when they're 17/18 when a big club reckons they can mold @Arch Stanton them to their style the longer a "starlet" stays the closer their value drops to the development fee which seems to be £300k when they stay the course - if DR goes this summer I'd be looking for 7 figures.

The new Ryan Gauld? Seriously though, I agree. If the chance comes he should bit hands off. Gauld is a limited player and has done far better then he would if he had stayed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Interesting that we are waiting on the English market to open up. I think we need more than 2 or 3 more than the rumoured players 

That is the reason Martin Foyle has been brought in as he has really good knowledge and contacts in that market. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Could the 4th player be Steven Davis. This rumour is still doing the rounds

Heard he was joining as a player coach. Would be a good move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be surprised if Davis joined us. As much as he's getting on a bit, I doubt we'd be able to afford him. Aside from his history with Robinson, I can't see why he'd be interested.

He's played in Europe 6 times? this season and despite injuries has had a decent number of appearances. surely one of the other top 5 teams going into Europe would give him a punt if rangers don't keep him on.

I'd be pleased to be wrong on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bigbud76 said:

Heard he was joining as a player coach. Would be a good move.

Is Stephen McGinn joining your coaching staff?

At least thats the word down our way after he left Killie today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

Is Stephen McGinn joining your coaching staff?

At least thats the word down our way after he left Killie today.

I would love to see him come back to the club. Hopefully part of his journey to become our manager eventually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I would love to see him come back to the club. Hopefully part of his journey to become our manager eventually.

He seems like a great lad, lots of our fans are sorry to see him go tbh. One thing thou, he'll never need to put his hand in his pocket in Killie for a beer for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

He seems like a great lad, lots of our fans are sorry to see him go tbh. One thing thou, he'll never need to put his hand in his pocket in Killie for a beer for sure.

Finding a role for him would be a PR masterstroke for Robinson. I'm glad joining Killie worked out for McGinn. He deserved better than having his career peter out in Greenock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Least exciting signing of the 4 to me. A quick look says he's hardly prolific. Not coming in to be first choice on the team sheet, You'd hope.

Decent enough age and has a relationship with Robinson though so at least there's that. Has also  already shown Robinson that he'll cover RW if needed. 

 

Watch him bang in 20+ goals including a hattrick against Celtic in the Scottish Cup final to make me look like a mug.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

He seems like a great lad, lots of our fans are sorry to see him go tbh. One thing thou, he'll never need to put his hand in his pocket in Killie for a beer for sure.

He’s a genuine legend at St Mirren. Came back when Jack Ross signed him, and was the driving force behind the team who performed the great escape from relegation to playing his part as captain of the championship winning team the next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/05/2022 at 00:39, FTOF said:

Apparently we're after Jonah Ayunga from Morecambe.

Pacey forward like Charles-Cook at Ross County, only much taller.

In contract, but available for transfer.

Jonah Ayunga - Wikipedia

 

7 hours ago, NorthBank said:

 

7 hours ago, Buddiesaint said:

Least exciting signing of the 4 to me. A quick look says he's hardly prolific. Not coming in to be first choice on the team sheet, You'd hope.

Decent enough age and has a relationship with Robinson though so at least there's that. Has also  already shown Robinson that he'll cover RW if needed. 

 

Watch him bang in 20+ goals including a hattrick against Celtic in the Scottish Cup final to make me look like a mug.

 

Well there's a surprise.;)

Least exciting?  A pacey wide player who is over six feet. Quite exciting to me. Not the type of player we've had before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Is Stephen McGinn joining your coaching staff?

At least thats the word down our way after he left Killie today.

In the statement Kilmarnock put out it seemed that he was leaving so he could get more game time somewhere else. 

I'd love McGinn to be back at St Mirren but I don't think we could guarantee him games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Positives? He had a blinding season at Havant & Waterlooville.
Negatives? It was Havant & Waterlooville.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Positives? He had a blinding season at Havant & Waterlooville.
Negatives? It was Havant & Waterlooville.

 

6 goals in 36 player for league 1 in England looks like a pretty decent return for me. Certainly looks like he’ll be different to what we have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

6 goals in 36 player for league 1 in England looks like a pretty decent return for me. Certainly looks like he’ll be different to what we have.

I wasn't being negative, just making a joke that he had a great season a few years back, but that the great season was some distance down the pyramid.

Who knows how he'll turn out, although I'd be very very surprised if he is at Charles-Cook level as some have hinted at.

I presume he'll be coming in as a winger, as Main Brophy and Grieve are our first choice strikers with youth players waiting their turn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Folk should remember that players signed from a similar level by Robinson, while in charge at Motherwell were comfortably better than anyone we had at that time. 

We’ve not had a player like Ayunga so let’s give the lad a chance to show what he can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • djchapsticks changed the title to The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...