The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Dunne's pace and strength always ensured he was a perfectly acceptable defender for a middling team in Scotland...if he could play football at all he'd be miles above the likes of Motherwell and St Mirren. He seems a really sound guy though so fair play to him if he gets a hefty contract after all his injury troubles. Paying actual money for him seems mental though.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Oh go on then Jim, if you insist! :lol: 

Honestly though, Dunne had a decent 2-3 months in November-January he'll give you a shift and his pace is ridiculous for a centre half and covers a lot of his mistakes but he's just not that good. I'd be happy enough to see him move on. Hopefully Jim wants a twofer by taking Main back North too.

I was genuinely amazed he was offered a two year contract. He was a liability right from the off with us, fast but technically very limited and always a game away from another injury. He could probably not believe his luck. I would agree with others that paying money for him would be pretty mental.

Edited by Yorky

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Dunne's pace and strength always ensured he was a perfectly acceptable defender for a middling team in Scotland...if he could play football at all he'd be miles above the likes of Motherwell and St Mirren. He seems a really sound guy though so fair play to him if he gets a hefty contract after all his injury troubles. Paying actual money for him seems mental though.

Yeah, I don't think he's absolutely crap or anything, I just think he's a bottom half premiership/top end Championship defender. Maybe he would look better in a better team, I'm not sure. To be fair, his injury issues do seem to be behind him now, he's been pretty consistently available for us, apart from a short period at the start of the season, and he does seem like a good guy so I'd have absolutely no hard feelings for him if he managed to get this move.

20 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I don't think he's absolutely crap or anything, I just think he's a bottom half premiership/top end Championship defender. Maybe he would look better in a better team, I'm not sure. To be fair, his injury issues do seem to be behind him now, he's been pretty consistently available for us, apart from a short period at the start of the season, and he does seem like a good guy so I'd have absolutely no hard feelings for him if he managed to get this move.

Yeah, that's fair. Though if anything I think he'll be worse in a 'better' team because he's expected to play more. He was at his best with us on the left of Robinson's 3-5-2 because it emphasized his strengths - charging around the vacant space behind LWB and bodying people - and minimized his weaknesses - pretty much anything to do with the ball other than launching it the direction he was facing. That said, Moult would never have had his glorious second in the LC SF against Rangers without his delicate chipped assist!

Said it before, Dunne is like Efe Ambrose in ways.

Give him a clear defined job and he'll do it, and do it well. However allow him to make decisions and it's a coin toss on how that'll work out. He's physical, pretty fast, and (at times) can deliver some impressive forward passes. He is also a bit of a bomb scare, if he wasn't that last bit, he'd be plying his trade higher up the leagues than Motherwell, Aberdeen or St Mirren.

Thing is, I wonder if Robinson will let him go. He's a player he knows and he's under contract, so Aberdeen will need to put some cash down, which is probably where this story ends.

Thought Goodwin wanting to buy Dunne was an April Fool thing. I rate McCarthy a lot higher and would be more gutted in losing him. Dunne has attributes mainly his speed and reading the game. All very good points. However he can only head a ball straight up in the air, gives away stupid fouls around the box mainly by using his elbows and constantly punts cross field balls straight out the park. Terrible at distribution. For me he would be ok at left back or a back up defender for McCarthy and Shaughnessy. But a fee? Take it.

If Goodwin wants to part with over 100k for Dunne we should take it. He is a decent player nothing more than that. I am more concerned with Ronan or Jak going there. Robinson needs to build his own side so additional money would be useful. 

It's his mistimed headers along with the wild swing and misses in our penalty box that do it for me.

Can't pretend he wasn't good for a few months when we changed to the back 4 though. He also adds balance to the back line as a left footer. 

His pace gets him out of trouble with poor positioning, not a bad thing really, Kyle Walker has made a stunning career out of that.

If he stays its one less worry of replacing him with a complete diddy, if he goes I won't be too upset.

Would be devastated if it was gorgeous Joe he was trying to buy.

4 minutes ago, AW saint said:

If Goodwin wants to part with over 100k for Dunne we should take it. He is a decent player nothing more than that. I am more concerned with Ronan or Jak going there. Robinson needs to build his own side so additional money would be useful. 

Ronan is irrelevant as he isn't our player and Alnwick was always going to leave at the end of this contract, we seen it early on we were lucky to replace Hladky with someone like him. 

Will be interesting to see how Robinson does in the transfer market, he left Motherwell's squad in a right state. 

42 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Yeah I'm generally in favor of keeping our better players, otherwise what's the point, but if Handsome Jim offers £100k for Dunne we should bite his hand off!

Edited by btb

4 hours ago, AW saint said:

Jak is going to Cardiff at the end of the season.