The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

Alex Greive starting for New Zealand against Solomon Islands. 6pm ko.

Surprised he's starting that tbh, that's the Oceania Qualifier Final. As in if The Solomons do a Macedonia New Zealand are out the World Cup. It's the kind of game you'd expect them to play their strongest 11 in, so it's fantastic to see him in there. He's partnering £25m man Chris Wood upfront. The winners of that will playoff against Costa Rica (probably) for a place in Qatar.

3 hours ago, greenock saint said:

Alex Greive starting for New Zealand against Solomon Islands. 6pm ko.

Subbed off after 54 minutes.

NZ won 5-0.

ETA they will now playoff against the 4th placed team in the CONCACAF federation who play their final group matches early tomorrow morning. Most likely to be Costa Rica unless they beat USA, Mexico lose at home to El Salvador and there's a 4 goal swing.

Edited by Arch Stanton

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Very arrogant around town etc.

Then there was him publicly declaring he'd shave his head to raise funds for the Clutha bar tragedy and then never doing it.

To be fair I wasn’t aware of this and it seems strange as anyone who has spoken with him, say he’s a quite humble and approachable guy.

I love how Aberdeen think they’re a massive club. They struggle to get 10,000 at home these days and have  thoughts of being the third biggest team in the land. Miles behind Heart of Midlothian and also behind Hibernian too. 

11 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

To be fair I wasn’t aware of this and it seems strange as anyone who has spoken with him, say he’s a quite humble and approachable guy.

I guess there's every chance retirement has humbled him a bit.

His stag go antics also upset a lot of fans.

If he was the man that Goodwin wanted in then it wouldn't bother me in the slightest though.

10 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

I love how Aberdeen think they’re a massive club. They struggle to get 10,000 at home these days and have  thoughts of being the third biggest team in the land. Miles behind Heart of Midlothian and also behind Hibernian too. 

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

9 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Jamie’s a Paisley lad and a Saints fan. So that makes him a guid cnut as far as we are concerned. 

Aberdeen are such a big club they needed to buy second hand urinals from Love St.

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

15 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Subbed off after 54 minutes.

NZ won 5-0.

ETA they will now playoff against the 4th placed team in the CONCACAF federation who play their final group matches early tomorrow morning. Most likely to be Costa Rica unless they beat USA, Mexico lose at home to El Salvador and there's a 4 goal swing.

......international football is a JOKE and it's KILLING me......

6 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Oh go on then Jim, if you insist! :lol: 

Honestly though, Dunne had a decent 2-3 months in November-January he'll give you a shift and his pace is ridiculous for a centre half and covers a lot of his mistakes but he's just not that good. I'd be happy enough to see him move on. Hopefully Jim wants a twofer by taking Main back North too.

16 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

:lol: I’d hope we have a deal in front of Goodwin and Dunne to sign as soon as there was any mention of it before anyone came to their senses. That would be bonkers. 

I was about to come and ask for Saints fans honest opinions on Dunne.

Would your view be a consensus you think? 

6 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

So his pace extricates him from situations his frequently abysmal decision making get him into?

Sounds great. 

And not an upgrade on what we have. 

Arguably our third best centre back. As other said, his pace is the main asset and the fact he’s left footed.

Loves a diagonal out the park.

8 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I was about to come and ask for Saints fans honest opinions on Dunne.

Would your view be a consensus you think? 

Dunne is like most of our team at the moment, he's capable of really good performances, but he's flakey. I don't think he's a bad player at all, he's got great attributes. He's quick and strong, but like so many of our players this season he makes mistakes and his form swings week to week, or even half to half.

I don't think he's our third best CB, I think he's been better than McCarthy this season and deserves to be starting ahead of him, but if Jim is really prepared to put out £100k+ to get him this summer I'd honestly be very surprised and I don't think we would be hard to deal with.