The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

We will certainly be signing a third keeper in the summer when Alnwick leaves, no way we go with just Urminsky and Lyness. It will then be up to each of them to stake their claim for the number 1 jersey, the new man will surely be favourite for it. 

Interesting to see Lyness coming in for a bit of criticism. I certainly don’t think he’s as good as Alnwick and him being number two is right, but have I missed a mistake he made?
He’s started four games this year:
Stenny in the league cup which we won 3-1, as far as I can recall he wasn’t at fault for that goal. Celtic where he kept a clean sheet and deservedly got MOTM, Ross County where we lost 1-0 to a penalty and Dundee where he kept another clean sheet and we won 1-0.

Do you have to make a series of mistakes before you’re allowed to be labelled a poor goalie? I don’t think he’s of a standard required to be starting in the Premiership. He’s a shot stopper no more than that. His distribution is terrible also.

49 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Do you have to make a series of mistakes before you’re allowed to be labelled a poor goalie? I don’t think he’s of a standard required to be starting in the Premiership. He’s a shot stopper no more than that. His distribution is terrible also.

Jacks Distribution has been ropey to say the least recently a good few balls right out the park.

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

Do you have to make a series of mistakes before you’re allowed to be labelled a poor goalie?

Yes

I don’t think he’s of a standard required to be starting in the Premiership

That's your opinion but what are you basing it on?

He’s a shot stopper no more than that.

Well?

Do you have to make a series of mistakes before you’re allowed to be labelled a poor goalie?

Well, clearly not. Infact you can play four games, keep two clean sheets, get MOTM in one of them, concede just one goal from open play (that wasn’t your fault) and still be labelled as hopeless it seems [emoji16]

It was made clear by Goodwin at his last Q&A that Dean is happy to continue being a backup keeper. Goodwin said that because Jak was stalling with the contract offer (which is his right) that plans were in place to secure a new number 1 goalkeeper for next season.

The fact that Jamie Langfield is still in place would mean that we have to assume that he will play a massive part in the recruitment.

Jak won’t be here next season. I think we can all agree on that. 

I do find it slightly strange that a professional keeper is happy to be a backup rather than compete for the top spot, but I guess it’s more common than we think.

4 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

It was made clear by Goodwin at his last Q&A that Dean is happy to continue being a backup keeper. Goodwin said that because Jak was stalling with the contract offer (which is his right) that plans were in place to secure a new number 1 goalkeeper for next season.

The fact that Jamie Langfield is still in place would mean that we have to assume that he will play a massive part in the recruitment.

Jak won’t be here next season. I think we can all agree on that. 

I do find it slightly strange that a professional keeper is happy to be a backup rather than compete for the top spot, but I guess it’s more common than we think.

I'm the same, it seems bizarre but it must be fairly common. There are a few keepers around who've been perennial number 2s. Maybe there's more to it than regular football though, I don't know Lyness's situation but there could be family ties meaning someone doesn't want to move, or maybe playing number 2 at a bigger club would see a better salary than dropping a level or two to be a number 1. 

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

I'm the same, it seems bizarre but it must be fairly common. There are a few keepers around who've been perennial number 2s. Maybe there's more to it than regular football though, I don't know Lyness's situation but there could be family ties meaning someone doesn't want to move, or maybe playing number 2 at a bigger club would see a better salary than dropping a level or two to be a number 1. 

I think it’s more likely the latter. I reckon he will be on a decent wage even though he rarely plays, he needs to be part of the goalkeeping team and always be ready to step in at a moments notice. 

It’s all part of the modern game now.
Remember when we only had two subs? If you lost your keeper through injury it was always interesting to see who would step in as replacements and see how they would perform.

I seem to remember Neil Cooper standing in for Dibble and Kenny McDowall standing in for Les Fridge at Tannadice.

I’m sure there are many more examples. 

I much preferred the older rules of fitba. I was too young to remember what it was like before subs. 

The usual suspects on Twitter and Facebook are moaning about giving two stands to Rangers! This happens every single time. 😴 Maybe SMISA should buy up the tickets? I would suggest distributing them to schools, but then half the kids will be supporting Celtic anyway, and if we get hammered that will be their lasting memory of the game.

Perhaps SMISA can request donations from all the moaners and see how much they raise? That would then nullify the financial aspect, which is the only reason I am in favour of it.

The only other long term solution is to expand the capacity of the away end like Motherwell did. At least then they'd all be behind the goal and not influencing decisions at both ends of the ground.

19 hours ago, Lex said:

Interesting to see Lyness coming in for a bit of criticism. I certainly don’t think he’s as good as Alnwick and him being number two is right, but have I missed a mistake he made?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Mr. Smith said:

The usual suspects on Twitter and Facebook are moaning about giving two stands to Rangers! This happens every single time. 😴 Maybe SMISA should buy up the tickets? I would suggest distributing them to schools, but then half the kids will be supporting Celtic anyway, and if we get hammered that will be their lasting memory of the game.

Perhaps SMISA can request donations from all the moaners and see how much they raise? That would then nullify the financial aspect, which is the only reason I am in favour of it.

The only other long term solution is to expand the capacity of the away end like Motherwell did. At least then they'd all be behind the goal and not influencing decisions at both ends of the ground.

🤣 what would that achieve ?

51 minutes ago, Smithers Jones said:

🤣 what would that achieve ?

Obviously, it would mean that the tickets would not be on sale, making the moaners happy and it would mean the club still makes the money, making the pragmatists happy. It's not rocket science.