The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 hours ago, Biscuits said:

If he goes I'd be more than happy with Lyness as our number 1. Definitely deserves a chance

Disagree. Good second choice and had a few decent games when called upon, but he’s been lucky not to have been caught out on a few occasions.

We’d need better than Lyness if we want to challenge upwards.

5 hours ago, Biscuits said:

If he goes I'd be more than happy with Lyness as our number 1. Definitely deserves a chance

Not for me.

We need better. I wasn't too impressed by Lyness in the past two games. His kicking was woeful. He had a couple of fumbles from tame shots and had "superman" miss going for a cross from a corner.

Might be unfair to compare him to Alnwick, but Lyness is decent back up. Nothing more.

As I have mentioned earlier, I suspect that Robinson will go for Trevor Carson, when Alnwick leaves.

I wouldn't mind Hladky back either, as he's not getting a look in at Ipswich.

On 11/03/2022 at 17:24, FTOF said:

If Robinson wants to improve us next season, I hope he's looking at signing upgrades on the current players in both the RB and LB positions.

If it wasn't obvious before tonight....................................

11 minutes ago, Buddiesaint said:

Robinsons substitutions are worrying. I know he didn't put this team together but I'm far from confident we'll get anything out of this season unless he figures the squad out sharpish.

Can see why folk wanted Jones subbed instead of Kiltie but in the last couple of games Kiltie hasn't been as influential as he has been. 

Get McCarthy back in beside gorgeous Joe. 

Hopefully Tansers injury isn't too bad but he was one of the small number of players that benefited from the back 3, meaning he could push further up the pitch. He's not a great defender and has lost the freedom to get forward as much as a left back.

Brophy looks right on it though, tidy finish. Exactly what we need for the run in, and Ronan, wow. Nobody can say anything that will do that goal justice. One of the best I've ever seen from a StMirren player. The technique and connection, offer, it was out of this world.

7 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Tanser was one of the small number of players that benefited from the back 3, meaning he could push further up the pitch. He's not a great defender.

But-Thats-None-Of-My-Business-Neutral.jp

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

But-Thats-None-Of-My-Business-Neutral.jp

😂. I know we were pre warned that was the case. He's not been shockingly bad, it's more to do with his attacking play, or lack of it now. He was one of our most creative players when he could get they crosses from deep going and have the freedom of the left hand side. Him and Jones don't really compliment each other very well, so far anyway. 

Another thing is he never seems to be 100% fit. I'd probably try sign him up for next season but I wouldn't break the bank for him. Will Goodwin take him up to Aberdeen? Maybe but I'm not sure he's up to the level they want to be.

17 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

😂. I know we were pre warned that was the case. He's not been shockingly bad, it's more to do with his attacking play, or lack of it now. He was one of our most creative players when he could get they crosses from deep going and have the freedom of the left hand side. Him and Jones don't really compliment each other very well, so far anyway. 

Another thing is he never seems to be 100% fit. I'd probably try sign him up for next season but I wouldn't break the bank for him. Will Goodwin take him up to Aberdeen? Maybe but I'm not sure he's up to the level they want to be.

Could be worse m8, we could be relying on Callum Booth to play there. 

56 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I'd probably let him go, tbh. Can't remember his contract situation - I think there's an option for a second year but can't remember whose option that is, his or ours - but the only thing nagging away at me is how scarce left backs are.

We obviously signed him with the 3-5-2 in mind, but with that in the sea where it belongs, he doesn't have a natural home. TBH, I'd sooner play him in the wide left forward position (ie as an alternative to Jones) than at LB. His (and Dunne's) ball watching for that first goal was criminal.

Regarding Ronan, he’s up there with the best St Mirren players I’ve ever seen. One of the very few I’ve looked at in a St Mirren strip and been like ‘wtf are you doing playing for us?’
Much too good for our level. Been some speculation about other Scottish clubs in for him in the summer. If he’s still playing in this league next year his agents fucked it.
I think he’s most likely to be back at his parent club Wolves getting minutes next season. Bruno Lage must be watching these goals and be thinking, hold on, that’s my player.

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

Regarding Ronan, he’s up there with the best St Mirren players I’ve ever seen. One of the very few I’ve looked at in a St Mirren strip and been like ‘wtf are you doing playing for us?’
Much too good for our level. Been some speculation about other Scottish clubs in for him in the summer. If he’s still playing in this league next year his agents fucked it.
I think he’s most likely to be back at his parent club Wolves getting minutes next season. Bruno Lage must be watching these goals and be thinking, hold on, that’s my player.

He’s 24. 
He’s not getting in the Wolves team.   
He’s not an EPL player 

He’ll get a good Championship club. 

He’s 24. 
He’s not getting in the Wolves team.   
He’s not an EPL player 
He’ll get a good Championship club. 

Yeah not saying he’s walking in that starting 11 or anything. Ruben Neves is better than him, I think. I can just see him in the squad, getting minutes off the bench and in the league cup etc.
Wolves did give him a new contract last year, and the only reason we got him is he was injured all summer.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Can see why folk wanted Jones subbed instead of Kiltie but in the last couple of games Kiltie hasn't been as influential as he has been. 

Get McCarthy back in beside gorgeous Joe. 

Hopefully Tansers injury isn't too bad but he was one of the small number of players that benefited from the back 3, meaning he could push further up the pitch. He's not a great defender and has lost the freedom to get forward as much as a left back.

Brophy looks right on it though, tidy finish. Exactly what we need for the run in, and Ronan, wow. Nobody can say anything that will do that goal justice. One of the best I've ever seen from a StMirren player. The technique and connection, offer, it was out of this world.

Agreed. Don’t get the love that Dunne gets - last home game someone behind me called him a ‘Rolls Royce’…

Still think McCarthy is our best centre half, but can’t see him getting much game time. Suspect Tanser will be out for a couple of weeks, so expect Tait to be shifted out there.