The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Marcus has been Mr Consistency since he joined us. Until recently.

He is usually a 7 out of 10 week in , week out. However he has really shaded off just prior to Goodwin leaving. Seemed to have lost some confidence with too may back passes, lumps up the park and getting caught in possession. I am sure he'll come good again but I reckon it was the right thing to give him a break.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Unpopular opinion but I’m a bit bewildered with folk wanting Fraser back in the team. He was due a spell out of the team as his performances prior to the new man dropping him, were honking. He’s a decent enough defender but offers little or nothing in an attacking sense.

Only my opinion and I guess other folk will see it different.

Agree with this - hadn’t had a great run. I think in the Johnnies game, when he gave away a penalty, his confidence looked a bit shot.

2 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Agree with this - hadn’t had a great run. I think in the Johnnies game, when he gave away a penalty, his confidence looked a bit shot.

I’m not saying he’s been anything other than a good solid signing for us, but as other folk are saying, his form definitely has taken a dip. I agree with Northbank that he’s usually a 7 out of ten every week. It happens and I’m sure he’ll gain his place back along with some more consistent form.

Competition for a place with Tait will do him no harm.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

He definitely struggled on the left side of the back 3, but I thought he looked OK in the back four and gets forward OK. I think he's a bit quicker than Tait as well, and possibly a slightly better defender. Tait is OK as well, solid enough. I think he's a bit more dangerous in the opposition box than Fraser. I don't think there is much in it to be honest, they've both had good games and bad games, and both cost and saved us goals this season. I actually think what might have done it for Fraser a wee bit was that wild tackle against Hearts where he should have been sent off, just before Ronan was.

Was it this season or last when Tait had a mad rush of blood at Tannadice?

Two different players, but I'm glad we have them both!

Fraser was, by some distance, the main beneficiary of the 3-5-2. He played the right-sided CH role very well. Goodwin only knows why he was then played on the left side, which did him no favours, and if Robinson prefers Tait as a fullback in a 4-4-2 then fair enough: the margins are too fine to get wound up about.

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fraser was, by some distance, the main beneficiary of the 3-5-2. He played the right-sided CH role very well. Goodwin only knows why he was then played on the left side, 

Goodwin felt Marcus was our best defender against a winger and felt right wingers were more prevalent so he stuck him left of the 3.

4 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Goodwin expected to come in to request to talk to Alnwick about a pre-contract according to Scott Burns on Twitter.

I'll be honest, I'd have been more shocked if Goodwin hadn't.

Lewis on the turn towards 35 and has been flappy for a while now. Zander Clark, who Aberdeen have also been linked with, is just not that good a keeper.

Alnwick will go there and hold the number 1 shirt for the next 3/4 seasons without any issue whatsoever. His only weakness is his kicking.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see him going back south as he could walk into certain Championship sides. Blackpool being most obvious choice given he spent a season there before signing with us and only didn't sign for them as they papped their manager after offering him a deal.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Zander Clark, who Aberdeen have also been linked with, is just not that good a keeper.

TBF we'd have been relegated this season already if it weren't for him. Hes been worth around 10 goals for us, while Dundees keeper has cost them around 4, if you compare them to what the "average" keeper manages in this league.

He was superb when he broke through, and this season, yet seems judged on a 18 month spell where his confidence was completely shattered due to us lining up a horrendous defence in front of him (Wallace Duffy) which left him completely exposed for 90 minutes every week, and that led to mistakes, and the whole thing spiralled for him. 

I know folk hate it and I'll get the pish ripped out me (again) for it, but his overall figures suggest hes just slightly above average for this level over his career, Alnwick is well above average. Potentially means Alnwick has a higher ceiling than Clark so the best sequence of moves, career wise, would be Alnwick to the Championship and looking for his next move up the way, and Clark to Aberdeen looking for regular European games/3rd places/Finals, as both would be comfortable at that level?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF we'd have been relegated this season already if it weren't for him. Hes been worth around 10 goals for us, while Dundees keeper has cost them around 4, if you compare them to what the "average" keeper manages in this league.

He was superb when he broke through, and this season, yet seems judged on a 18 month spell where his confidence was completely shattered due to us lining up a horrendous defence in front of him (Wallace Duffy) which left him completely exposed for 90 minutes every week, and that led to mistakes, and the whole thing spiralled for him. 

I know folk hate it and I'll get the pish ripped out me (again) for it, but his overall figures suggest hes just slightly above average for this level over his career, Alnwick is well above average. Potentially means Alnwick has a higher ceiling than Clark so the best sequence of moves, career wise, would be Alnwick to the Championship and looking for his next move up the way, and Clark to Aberdeen looking for regular European games/3rd places/Finals, as both would be comfortable at that level?

Fairy nuff. Alnwick to Aberdeen, Clark to us.

It wouldn't be a huge surprise for Goodwin to be doing what Ross did at Hibs and coming back for a few players to go up the A90. I suspect Ronan and possibly Jones will be interesting him. 

Lyness has been fine any time I've seen him play and probably deserves a shot when Alnwick goes.

Langfield seems to be fairly good at getting in and coaching keepers Hladky was pretty seamlessly replaced which many thought would be tough. 

Aberdeen would be a big draw for a lot of our players right now. Big wage increase, bigger club and you do get the impression a lot of our players do really like Goodwin, although to be honest, I had heard a few rumours that it wasn't always the happiest squad behind closed doors. I suppose you'll get that with any manager though.

Anyway, if Aberdeen weren't sniffing around Alnwick it would be borderline negligence from them considering he's a keeper they should be able to afford fairly easily, who is massively better than the guy they currently have.

Has Zander Clark not signed a pre contract with them already.

No. Again no surprise that Alnwick has been offered a deal by Aberdeen, but I can’t see him signing a PCA. I think he will have a choice of four or five clubs in May, us and The Dons being two of them, and I’d be surprised if he signed either deal. I can see him getting a bigger contract elsewhere.
He’s still our number one and I hope he’s in goal for us tonight.

No surprise that Goodwin wants to take Alnwick to Aberdeen. Record says he also has options in England though.

Hladky and Alnwick have been the two best keepers we've had for many years so big boots to fill for whoever comes in. No doubt Langfield will have discussed potential replacements with Goodwin and Robinson may well have one or two in mind from the English lower leagues.

Alnwick was always going to go this summer. He's had a brilliant time with us and fully deserves his chance at a better contract or higher level elsewhere.

He'd be a top choice for strengthening that weak Aberdeen side that Goodwin has inherited, but I think there'll be some competition for him and it'll drag out like most of these transfers seem to.