The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 01/03/2022 at 12:13, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Seems we have received the most from this post5b10b323eeddf4a5562f118a90e6c65f.jpg

Anyone who judges anything by "fouls per card" is a moron.

All fouls aren't equal, you can get booked for celebrating a goal etc.

Our fans were the same when hunting for some injustice.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Anyone who judges anything by "fouls per card" is a moron.

All fouls aren't equal, you can get booked for celebrating a goal etc.

Our fans were the same when hunting for some injustice.

Where do you stand on "Good teams get more penalties because the spend more time in the opposition box".

50 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Where do you stand on "Good teams get more penalties because the spend more time in the opposition box".

Depends if I'm discussing it with an Old Firm fan or not.

This is out of nowhere but I want to put my mind at ease. Few years back I was at a St Mirren game when you had Gavin Reilly. It was during the second half of the season when he'd had a really prolific start then kind of tailed off a bit. You had a song for him, which in my mind was quite memorable, but I've never known if my interpretation is what yous actually sung. 

In my head it went:

(To the tune of Give Me Oil in My Lamp)

#Twenty goals twenty goals Gavin Reilly,

Twenty goals twenty goals I say 

Twenty goals twenty goals Gavin Reilly

But he scored f**k all in Jan-ua-ry#

Can anyone confirm this was indeed the lyrics or have I made that up? If I have made it up it's not bad and indeed quite fitting for that season.

This is out of nowhere but I want to put my mind at ease. Few years back I was at a St Mirren game when you had Gavin Reilly. It was during the second half of the season when he'd had a really prolific start then kind of tailed off a bit. You had a song for him, which in my mind was quite memorable, but I've never known if my interpretation is what yous actually sung. 

In my head it went:
(To the tune of Give Me Oil in My Lamp)
#Twenty goals twenty goals Gavin Reilly,
Twenty goals twenty goals I say 
Twenty goals twenty goals Gavin Reilly
But he scored f**k all in Jan-ua-ry#

Can anyone confirm this was indeed the lyrics or have I made that up? If I have made it up it's not bad and indeed quite fitting for that season.

Yep remember singing that, think your words are right too. Good tune.

Sort of feels like the wind has been taken out of our sails a bit in the last 10 days or so.

It's nothing against Robinson Hearts at home and Celtic away aren't easy games to start with but we have barely had a shot on target. 

County is the big one on Saturday. If we have aspirations of wanting to play European football (for 2 games anyway) I think we have to win this one. If we lose then we can kiss that goodbye and potentially have 1 eye on the teams below us again.

I hope Robinson has see enough to believe that Main isn't good enough anymore. I also hope that because he had 5 at the back last night that we don't see the 3/5 combination kept permanently.

Not been the best start for Goodwin at Aberdeen either. I hope he hasn't thrown something potentially special away to be sacked by September. 

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Not been the best start for Goodwin at Aberdeen either. I hope he hasn't thrown something potentially special away to be sacked by September. 

I genuinely haven’t spoken to one St Mirren fan who thinks anything other than Jim has made a mistake taking the Aberdeen job. Aberdeen as they are in 2022. Scottish football as it is in 2022 - his job with St Mirren was the closest thing to secure that you could reasonably expect to find. Even if we were relegated, the likelihood is we would have stuck by him as the man to regroup and lead us back up. I wish Jim and indeed Aberdeen, absolutely no ill will, I just think he has made a big mistake. Only time will tell of course.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Sort of feels like the wind has been taken out of our sails a bit in the last 10 days or so.

It's nothing against Robinson Hearts at home and Celtic away aren't easy games to start with but we have barely had a shot on target. 

County is the big one on Saturday. If we have aspirations of wanting to play European football (for 2 games anyway) I think we have to win this one. If we lose then we can kiss that goodbye and potentially have 1 eye on the teams below us again.

I hope Robinson has see enough to believe that Main isn't good enough anymore. I also hope that because he had 5 at the back last night that we don't see the 3/5 combination kept permanently.

Was thinking he is having a look at the squad given changes since he came in. Finding out his best 11 ? Who knows Ross County will be a stern test . 

40 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I genuinely haven’t spoken to one St Mirren fan who thinks anything other than Jim has made a mistake taking the Aberdeen job. Aberdeen as they are in 2022. Scottish football as it is in 2022 - his job with St Mirren was the closest thing to secure that you could reasonably expect to find. Even if we were relegated, the likelihood is we would have stuck by him as the man to regroup and lead us back up. I wish Jim and indeed Aberdeen, absolutely no ill will, I just think he has made a big mistake. Only time will tell of course.

I'd disagree, Aberdeen aren't a "sack happy" club they've had fewer managers than us since the millenium (excluding interim appointments) 7 to our 12 - I'll wager he'll be at Aberdeen longer than Robinson is with us!

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He's had 20 minutes at home with 11v11 against the third placed team who'd just got a load of players back from injury.

Then away to Celtic.

Not exactly an easy start.

Next, away to one of the form teams in the league.

Really bad timing that the Dundee game was cancelled; but hey ho - we'll now get to play it after a trip to Dingwall and before taking on Hearts in the cup at Tynecastle.

He's really not had the easiest of starts.

2 hours ago, btb said:

I'd disagree, Aberdeen aren't a "sack happy" club they've had fewer managers than us since the millenium (excluding interim appointments) 7 to our 12 - I'll wager he'll be at Aberdeen longer than Robinson is with us!

I agree Aberdeen aren’t sack happy, or haven’t been… I just get a feeling the days of McInnes’ long run, and Tommy Wright’s long run at the Fakes are in the rear view mirror now. If Robinson keeps us on an even keel, floating around where we currently are (away from the bottom two spots), then I think he’ll last as long as he wants the gig. I cannot see St Mirren bagging a manager who keeps us up, away from trouble. Would we sack someone for not getting Tony’s Top 6? I don’t think so. I just don’t know what Goodwin will need to do up there to keep everyone happy. Just a gut feeling I have. Despite their big budget, big stadium, bigger support - I don’t see them being any better at all than four or five other clubs. Annywayyy… opinions, opinions.

Edited by pozbaird

6 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

It's nothing against Robinson

I have a bit of apathy creeping in, ordinarily when we change manager it's exciting because we sacked some idiot like Stubbs. Even when JR left,  I wasn't as bothered (not knowing the damage Stubbs would do) as he was untested in the Premiership but Jim leaving has created a bit of a hangover. 

Win a couple of games and it's gone but right now............meh.

15 hours ago, btb said:

They aren't, but who knows what McCormack era will be like. The main issue I have with Aberdeen, is that it seems difficult to get another job from managing them and few of their managers progress onto 'better jobs'.

Anyway time will tell how long both last in their jobs- Robinson has had a difficult start, and I doubt we'd have done better despite the manager, but we need to get back to form. 

10 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

They aren't, but who knows what McCormack era will be like. The main issue I have with Aberdeen, is that it seems difficult to get another job from managing them and few of their managers progress onto 'better jobs'.

Anyway time will tell how long both last in their jobs- Robinson has had a difficult start, and I doubt we'd have done better despite the manager, but we need to get back to form. 

Well yeah I mean if Handsome Jim had been able to handpick a run of fixtures to start the year with then I guess he couldn't have done much better than a coupla cup games against lower league opposition and in the league a series of games against teams with their own issues - he likely would have hit the  wall against Hearts & Celtic too.

Next two games I'm hoping we'll seal our top flight status and still have enough in the tank to deal with Hearts in the cup.