The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

This Ross will only be looking for work here when he starts to appear on off the ball/sportscene

There is always the chance that a championship outfit might take a punt with him. 

Maybe a team struggling at the bottom end of that league. His history of turning our fortunes around in 2 seasons, won’t have gone unnoticed by other clubs. 

I know he’s always been a somewhat of a pantomime villain to our fans, given the circumstances of how he left. But for me he remains a damn good manager, and I’ve got no doubts he’ll get another crack at a job in England.

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

There is always the chance that a championship outfit might take a punt with him. 

Maybe a team struggling at the bottom end of that league. His history of turning our fortunes around in 2 seasons, won’t have gone unnoticed by other clubs. 

I know he’s always been a somewhat of a pantomime villain to our fans, given the circumstances of how he left. But for me he remains a damn good manager, and I’ve got no doubts he’ll get another crack at a job in England.

I very much doubt he would get an English championship job. All English clubs will see is his failure to get Sunderland promoted. Maybe he'll go for the Morecambe job, that would be a Wise move.

As you know things can take a drastic turn at any given time in football. I’m sure JR has enough cash in the bank to sit things out, while he waits for another opportunity at one of the English clubs.

Don’t want to bang about JR, he’s long gone and he’ll never work at St Mirren again. However, jobs come up at English clubs all the time. Vacant at the moment:
Bradford City
Reading
Peterborough
Morecambe
Leyton Orient
Carlisle United
He isn’t being mentioned for any of them, as in he’s not even on the bookies list. He has no stock in England, he never played there and his only management tenure ended as a failure. I would be very surprised if he got an English job again.

Not quite sure why this thread has turned into the Jack Ross careers advice forum. 

f**k him his offski and aint coming back. He did us no favors since he left and has been sacked twice. If he ever gets another job I will be surprised. 

He's not a bad manager but he cashed in his chips a bit to early. The Sunderland job was only ever going to end one way. Why was he sacked at hibs, probably not about things happening on the park (other than his bizarre recruitment policy of signing every player we were interested), so makes you wonder what was happening off the park. Was he tarting himself round the english first division? How did that work out?

24 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

That was a long time ago, and his biggest success was simply not being Alex Rae, and giving Morgan a chance to get us promoted. 

Count me out of the ‘Ross is a kunt and good riddance’ camp. Life’s too short. Things went South in our opinions for many St Mirren managers, and indeed for more than a few players. I don’t think we’ll ever see Jack Ross back at St Mirren, but I choose to remember him as someone who was a classy player for us, was outstanding in games like away at Falkirk and the ‘four Saints jumping’ photo game at home against Deadco. Then, after a dodgy start, lead us to a fantastic Championship run and brought the feelgood factor back to St Mirren Park. I happen to believe Sunderland should have stuck with him. They were a baw’ hair away from something with him, and look how it has went for them since he was bagged.

Danny Lennon should be remembered for 2013. Gus should be remembered for delivering three trophies and bringing stability through the stadium move years. Smith & Bone should be remembered for 1987, as should daftie Fergie. Oran Kearney for coming in and keeping us up.

Just a few examples of where my mindset is with these things. Obviously if someone really ripped the pish or blatantly shafted us through sheer spite, then maybe my view would change. Hell, I don’t even hold the kiddies pirate costume kit against Brian Caldwell these days… much. 😜

I think some fans need to remember how close we were to dropping into the turd tier.

Look what’s happened to Falkirk since they dropped down. They are likely to be there for another season. That club is in utter turmoil on and off the pitch.

Jack Ross transformed a relegation doomed team into champions within 18months. He made the appropriate signings to rescue us from potentially part time football. He saved peoples jobs at the club.

I reckon he probably was offered 3-4 times salary at Sunderland. They are a huge club. No way could he turn that opportunity down. Same goes for his assistants. He was a baw hair away from getting them promoted to the Championship with no doubt some massive bonuses on offer for him and his staff.

He supposedly still stays in the North East with his young family. He is no doubt still being paid a handsome payoff by Hibs. I don’t see how he was a failure there. I think Hibs may regret the change they made.

Jack is no different to anyone of us. We will put ourselves and our family first. The situation is no different to Jim Goodwin. He is a young and ambitious manager offered a significant pay rise at a bigger club. Yet only a few short weeks ago our run of games without a win fans were questioning whether Goodwin was the right guy to keep us in the league. 
Good luck to both of them in their careers. They were both great servants for St Mirren compared to the likes of Stubbs, Rae, Murray, Craig and Hay.

I could not care less what Jack Ross does or does not do he is gone. Unfortunately Ross did leave a nasty taste in the mouth  by keep raiding our club even down to the kit man kitman.  I also believe it was not pitch problems that got him sacked from Hibs just before a cup final.  His bridges with St Mirren have now been burnt thankfully.  

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Count me out of the ‘Ross is a kunt and good riddance’ camp. Life’s too short. Things went South in our opinions for many St Mirren managers, and indeed for more than a few players. I don’t think we’ll ever see Jack Ross back at St Mirren, but I choose to remember him as someone who was a classy player for us, was outstanding in games like away at Falkirk and the ‘four Saints jumping’ photo game at home against Deadco. Then, after a dodgy start, lead us to a fantastic Championship run and brought the feelgood factor back to St Mirren Park. I happen to believe Sunderland should have stuck with him. They were a baw’ hair away from something with him, and look how it has went for them since he was bagged.

Danny Lennon should be remembered for 2013. Gus should be remembered for delivering three trophies and bringing stability through the stadium move years. Smith & Bone should be remembered for 1987, as should daftie Fergie. Oran Kearney for coming in and keeping us up.

Just a few examples of where my mindset is with these things. Obviously if someone really ripped the pish or blatantly shafted us through sheer spite, then maybe my view would change. Hell, I don’t even hold the kiddies pirate costume kit against Brian Caldwell these days… much. 😜

I don't hate Ross. I just think we had his time at the club. He did well and took his chance to grab the money. Who wouldnt?

He was not coming back when Goodwin left so lets focus on the Robinson era now. Time to move on and hope Robinson can take us to a better level. 

Goodwin is a good guy and he also grabbed a chance. If it wasnt for a change in formation etc it could have been a parting of the ways for another reason. 

I’ve been around long enough to have witnessed the brilliant Fergie era. I loved the Tom Hendrie millennium season. The two year tenure of Jack Ross and the miraculous turnaround is definitely up there. I will always be grateful for that mammoth task he performed to save the club.

Some folk are totally embroiled in their own bitterness and anger. Get a fucken grip its fitba.

25 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

You’re really going to hate Jim Goodwin pretty soon too then.

The likes of Alwnick were always going to be leaving to a Hibs or Aberdeen and we were unlikely to get Ronan, Jones, Gogic back next season anyway.

Can't see him poaching the likes of Shaughnessy and Brophy without us demanding some crazy prices. Unless he knows there are some release clauses he can exploit......in which case he's a kunt indeed.

32 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The likes of Alwnick were always going to be leaving to a Hibs or Aberdeen and we were unlikely to get Ronan, Jones, Gogic back next season anyway.

Can't see him poaching the likes of Shaughnessy and Brophy without us demanding some crazy prices. Unless he knows there are some release clauses he can exploit......in which case he's a kunt indeed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jim tries some moves that will piss us off. He’ll certainly want to make Aberdeen his own team soon as he can. Shipping out those he doesn’t rate and bringing in guys he knows he can trust. Just look at what Ross did when he was at Hibs. I wouldn’t blame Goodwin for trying a few cheeky swoops, I just don’t think we’re going to like a couple of them. Robinson will want to do exactly the same thing here. Having eyed up the squad he’s inherited, will make his own moves. Thing is, he hasn’t swapped between direct rivals in the same division. I also happen to believe there are as many players in our squad that Aberdeen would take as their are currently Aberdeen players that we would take. Maybe we could keep things civil and in the summer just do four swap deals with them… then we can both crack on with being mid-table decent but not stellar top flight sides… just as we are right now… third biggest budget in Scottish fitba’ though, eh?

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jim tries some moves that will piss us off. He’ll certainly want to make Aberdeen his own team soon as he can. Shipping out those he doesn’t rate and bringing in guys he knows he can trust. Just look at what Ross did when he was at Hibs. I wouldn’t blame Goodwin for trying a few cheeky swoops, I just don’t think we’re going to like a couple of them. Robinson will want to do exactly the same thing here. Having eyed up the squad he’s inherited, will make his own moves. Thing is, he hasn’t swapped between direct rivals in the same division. I also happen to believe there are as many players in our squad that Aberdeen would take as their are currently Aberdeen players that we would take. Maybe we could keep things civil and in the summer just do four swap deals with them… then we can both crack on with being mid-table decent but not stellar top flight sides… just as we are right now… third biggest budget in Scottish fitba’ though, eh?

Wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Alnwick and McCarthy (both out of contract) move to Aberdeen. They are terrible at the back this season.