The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, yenrab said:

Distinctly tumbleweed on the boards following this news...

Not on the ‘next St Mirren Irish manager 2022, roll on March 17th so we can actually join in and get pissed for a proper reason this year’ thread. Buzzing there.

Now he's in the door, I can only echo the above. This just feels like a solid, well-thought out appointment. Probably about the best we could hope for in the circumstances. As I outlined in a post yesterday, the options appeared bleak when you categorised the potential candidates so I feel the club has played an absolute blinder in finding a willing and available candidate who ticks pretty much all the boxes. 

Look, we're St Mirren. We'll lose games, we'll go on bad runs, we're far from favourites to win the QF at Tynecastle, and it's not beyond us to conspire to fail to make the top 6 again. See last season. Sometimes not being a complete basket case/laughing stock/relegation stick-on is all we can aim for. But sometimes the stars align and we manage to assemble an above-average squad with some attacking flair and if we get a bit of luck with injuries and suspensions then perhaps we can do something special.

Best of all we've got a guy in with experience of the league and plenty time to start prepping for next year, too.

So I think we have to congratulate the board here.

They clearly didn't want Goodwin to go, and when he decided he wanted to it obviously put us in a position where we needed to react. It could have been easy to go with the first option that popped up, especially as we are not longer in the break period and have games coming up quickly. The media pressure to appoint their ex-OF darlings, and the arrogant view that "it's just St Mirren, they'll take what they are offered and be happy with it", was thankfully ignored, and while it was right we looked at such candidates, both presented far more problems than they solved.

As @Coventry Saint's rightly pointed out, it's a very un-St-Mirreny-thing to do, we don't tend to take whatever cash we have and invest it, our mindset has always been to keep some back for when the shit hits the fan. Of course we could "gamble" but this isn't a gamble, well certainly no more than any similar appointment would be.

It's clear we haven't gone down the cheap route, although the Goodwin/Sharp pay off offsets some of that (isn't it nice to have a manager leave for money rather than us having to pay off a costly mistake as we sack them?), and I presume the board are looking at finishing in the top 6, as you'd expect considering our current position/team, in order to offset Robinson's fee even more.

I've got a lot of time for Stephen Robinson, as I think every Motherwell fan will.  It was absolutely the right time to part ways when he left us.  You could tell trying to build yet another new team, for the third or fourth time in three years, took its toll.  When you're making Declan Gallagher club captain and asking him to bring in a couple of mates to add to the squad, it's not a healthy position to be in.

He steadied the ship for us at the end of the 16/17 season after the shambles at the end of McGhee and kept us up.  His 2017/18 side (which Richard Tait, Charlie Dunne & Curtis Main all played a part in) was one my favourites of recent times.  The 'Thunderdome Era' where we just fucking battered teams about the place (with Louis Moult banging them in during the first half of the season, and Curtis Main going on a rare scoring spree in the second half) while getting to two cup finals.  It's just a shame that he came up against probably the greatest club side we've had up here in 20 years in Rodgers' Celtic in both finals.

Some may say he lucked out with some of the youngsters he had in, but he helped bring in £1m+ transfers for Cedric Kipre & James Scott, along with the £3m+  for David Turnbull.  On top of that, we got in decent compensation at the end of the contracts of Allan Campbell & Jake Hastie.

I wish him all the best at St. Mirren (apart from the obvious games, of course!).  He'll certainly get a warm welcome when he returns to Fir Park.  

1 hour ago, Desp said:

I've got a lot of time for Stephen Robinson, as I think every Motherwell fan will.  It was absolutely the right time to part ways when he left us.  You could tell trying to build yet another new team, for the third or fourth time in three years, took its toll.  When you're making Declan Gallagher club captain and asking him to bring in a couple of mates to add to the squad, it's not a healthy position to be in.

He steadied the ship for us at the end of the 16/17 season after the shambles at the end of McGhee and kept us up.  His 2017/18 side (which Richard Tait, Charlie Dunne & Curtis Main all played a part in) was one my favourites of recent times.  The 'Thunderdome Era' where we just fucking battered teams about the place (with Louis Moult banging them in during the first half of the season, and Curtis Main going on a rare scoring spree in the second half) while getting to two cup finals.  It's just a shame that he came up against probably the greatest club side we've had up here in 20 years in Rodgers' Celtic in both finals.

Some may say he lucked out with some of the youngsters he had in, but he helped bring in £1m+ transfers for Cedric Kipre & James Scott, along with the £3m+  for David Turnbull.  On top of that, we got in decent compensation at the end of the contracts of Allan Campbell & Jake Hastie.

I wish him all the best at St. Mirren (apart from the obvious games, of course!).  He'll certainly get a warm welcome when he returns to Fir Park.  

I remember Motherwell absolutely roasting us in a game where Jake Hastie scored a screamer and always thinking how entertaining his teams were.

We're built on a completely different dynamic though....stuffy, difficult to break down, decent on the counter so it's going to be interesting to see if he goes with what's currently working for now or if he decides it's gung-ho time right from the off.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

I presume this will now be sung on the terraces, it seems like an obvious choice and I'll be stunned if Motherwell fans didn't use it...

...what should any altered lyrics be?

Hopefully we hear plenty of this tomorrow night at Dens 👏🏻

Just now, TheMuzekMan said:

Hopefully we hear plenty of this tomorrow night at Dens 👏🏻

Do we want to lift their song direct? I suppose players tend to keep chants with them when they move clubs, so perhaps managers?

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

Do we want to lift their song direct? I suppose players tend to keep chants with them when they move clubs, so perhaps managers?

I think that’s a question for the W7 lads but I reckon they will stick with that one. As you said, certain songs seem to follow players and managers wherever they go.

If I recall, the Andy Webster song (September by Earth, Wind & Fire) has been used by lots of clubs including ourselves. 

Interesting too that he picked out Kibble CEO Jim Gillespie as the board member who really sold the club to him. 

The Kibble conspiracy theorists are going to love that one [emoji16]