The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

18 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
Now seen thibgs saying Jack Ross an has rejected an offer from St. Mirren to return as boss.
I wonder why? The money? If he has rejected us, then I worry we are going to go for the untested route with 0 experience, which then you wonder if that could f**k the momentum we currently have and what contacts would they have for off season signings?

That’s something else that’s being overlooked, I can’t imagine either Naismith or Brown commanding much respect amongst that current squad, in the way that a Ross or McInnes could. There’s some big and experienced characters in that changing room and the dynamic of having a manger of a similar age doesn’t usually end well.

Say we are 2-0 down at home to Dundee and Tait, Shaugnessy and Dunne have been having a nightmare. The players get into the changing room at half time and you’ve got Naismith, built like the fat end of a pound note, trying to lay into guys that just don’t respect his position. I’m sure those guys mentioned would be more professional than that but it’s a legitimate concern. 

That’s something else that’s being overlooked, I can’t imagine either Naismith or Brown commanding much respect amongst that current squad, in the way that a Ross or McInnes could. There’s some big and experienced characters in that changing room and the dynamic of having a manger of a similar age doesn’t usually end well.
Say we are 2-0 down at home to Dundee and Tait, Shaugnessy and Dunne have been having a nightmare. The players get into the changing room at half time and you’ve got Naismith, built like the fat end of a pound note, trying to lay into guys that just don’t respect his position. I’m sure those guys mentioned would be more professional than that but it’s a legitimate concern. 
I think in future, if they get to cut their teeth in the championship or something, they will be good managers in the future. I don't believe their first should be handing them a premiership team.
I keep saying it, but we are doing well. Can keep the momentum going to finish our highest position in some time, push for 4th, for Europe and for a cup. I would want someone who is experienced to take us to the next level. The summer is key and need contacts with the likes of Alnwick, Tanser, Ronan, Jones, Gogic all away.

11 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Yous are missing a trick if you don't take Brown.

You have misspelt the word trick there 🤪.

If he's that good why didn't Aberdeen appoint him instead of Goody 😂.

Celtic fans in work saying how great he is, didn't see that much of a clamour from the Celtic fans to get Broonie in as a manager the last 2 times the vacancy came up.

Just need to wait and see what happens. Unless it comes from Scott Burns I'm not believing anything 😂.

Many players have coaching badges. But having that badge doesn't make you a manager. Good man management is what is required more than a badge and that is achieved through personality but mostly experience. I'd approach Killie for McInnes who we'd only have to pay off a 12 month contract. As much as Naismith and Brown are likely to be successful in the future they have no experience of management and for that reason only I'd be reluctant to appoint either of them.

1 hour ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Yous are missing a trick if you don't take Brown.

We'll be missing around £250k if we do....

He's surplus to requirements at Aberdeen now and he's not worth splashing any cash on.

Edited by btb

It appears that we're in the process of seeking potential managers rather than inviting applications for the role.

I'm genuinely hoping that our entire contacts list wasn't Scott Brown and Steven Naismith then adding Jack Ross on as an afterthought due to public clamour. I'd like to think that if we're on the hunt, we're going to cast the net a bit wider than that.