The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

There is the hope that Ross might have had his wings clipped slightly by his sackings. 

You'd also like to think he's got a better idea of the caliber of player required at this level than perhaps he did before. *Glances sideways at Kellermann*

I was speaking with my pal last night about that, what sort of wage do you think St Mirren are able to offer to him? I would say it would be something around £120-140k p/a, although admittedly that’s a complete guess on my part. 

It was reported that when he went to Sunderland he was making 5 times his St Mirren wage, so I would put that somewhere in the £500k p/a region. At Hibs I would imagine around £200k p/a? This is all complete guesswork but I don’t think Ross is in the position at the moment to turn his nose up at the wage we can offer, even if he is still taking a wage from Hibs until the end of the season. It’s highly unlikely he gets a job at English Championship level, the Aberdeen job is now filled and there doesn’t look like there’s much else on the horizon that would interest him. Possibly some crazy English League 1 team offering daft money but again it doesn’t seem likely. 

Very bizarre to see our former chairman claiming on Twitter that Naismith is only linked with the job due to his Dad’s (rumoured) position within Kibble.

He’s clearly a highly rated coach, works with both the first team and U18s at Hearts, brought onto Clarke’s coaching staff at Scotland.

Just now, TheMuzekMan said:

Very bizarre to see our former chairman claiming on Twitter that Naismith is only linked with the job due to his Dad’s (rumoured) position within Kibble.

He’s clearly a highly rated coach, works with both the first team and U18s at Hearts, brought onto Clarke’s coaching staff at Scotland.

Bunch of moon howlers making that link.

So what if his dad works at the Kibble? It’s hardly the reason why we are speaking to him about the job. He’s got a good playing pedigree, clearly interested in coaching and, if he can get a team playing like he did as a player, it could be interesting.

He’s not my first choice, but I can understand the appeal. 

6 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Bunch of moon howlers making that link.

So what if his dad works at the Kibble? It’s hardly the reason why we are speaking to him about the job. He’s got a good playing pedigree, clearly interested in coaching and, if he can get a team playing like he did as a player, it could be interesting.

He’s not my first choice, but I can understand the appeal. 

I get that there is a few unhappy fans when it comes to the Kibble but do people seriously think the board would risk arguably our most successful season in years to appoint someone based on who their dad is?

I trust the board to appoint the best possible candidate. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

There is the hope that Ross might have had his wings clipped slightly by his sackings. 

Since he left Hibs, jobs at Aberdeen, Dundee and Killie have come and gone. There's no prospect of him getting a better gig in Scotland than with us.

I know that he still lives in Medburn in Northumberland (did a mental commute to Edinburgh every day) and it could be that he's holding out for a job in England. Might be a long wait though....

Edited by Buttocks Brown

4 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Since he left Hibs, jobs at Aberdeen, Dundee and Killie have come and gone. There's no prospect of him getting a better gig in Scotland than with us.

I know that he still lives in Medburn in Northumberland (did a mental commute to Edinburgh every day) and it could be that he's holding out for a job in England. Might be a long wait though....

Tbf that's a mental commute in any direction, once you rule out Newcastle and Sunderland.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

JR was at Sunderland’s match yesterday. He must be settled in Northumberland if he opted to commute to Edinburgh instead of moving back permanently. 

Considering there’s not many vacancies up here atm, he could be holding out for a gig down south as you said. 

7BFCAFD4-2A04-46E7-8811-AE11737AC0B5.jpeg

1 minute ago, Norrie82 said:

Dearie me that’ll be that then. 

All it means is the process is under way, which is good. Needs to be sorted quickly. If people are unsure, best get them out the way first.

We are an attractive club just now, certainly compared to where we've been.

Edited by Ric

Just now, Norrie82 said:

I hope so Ric. No harm to the two lads without experience I just think we need a manager at present who has been in the job before we can’t have a rookie making mistakes in a season where we are hoping to push for top half and hampden 

Oh, listen, we could wring our hands, and put a negative spin on it, but I don't really see the benefit on that. Not that it couldn't be done.

Might as well look at the positives, we need a manager in, ideally before the Dundee game, and the process of appointing one means candidates will drop by the wayside. Just means we are closer to our goal.

Said several times I didn't think he'd want it. It just didn't make enough sense. He'll bide his time on his Hibs paycheque and eventually a League One side will take a punt on him. He didn't exactly fail at Sunderland or Hibs... He'll back himself to get another gig in England.

Saints Twitter is a nightmare right now, mind. Bit of panic creeping in.

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

All it means is the process is under way, which is good. Needs to be sorted quickly. If people are unsure, best get them out the way first.

We are an attractive club just now, certainly compared to where we've been.

I would like to think we are an attractive club just now, certainly far more attractive than at any other point in our recent history. However it would be good if the calibre of manager being linked to the job matched that level of attraction. Maybe I’m missing something here but on what planet does a manager who’s only ever taken charge of youth games at a very low level get his hat thrown into the ring for a club with aspirations for 4th in the top flight? I seen someone on Twitter shouting down a fan who said McGarry would be a good shout, by claiming there was guys at boys club level with the same experience. That’s fair enough, but you can’t then point to Naismith or Brown who have been managing a bunch of teenagers infront of two men and a dug for the past 2 years as evidence of managerial experience. 

Looking at potential managers mentioned:

Jack Ross
Clubs Managed - 4
Levels managed -
Scottish Champ
EFL 1
Scottish prem

Derek McInnes
Clubs Managed = 4
Levels managed -
Scottish Champ
Scottish premiership
English champ

Tommy Wright
Clubs managed = 5
Levels managed -
NIFL Premier Intermediate League
NIFL Premiership
Scottish premiership
Scottish championship

Derek Adams
Clubs managed = 4
Levels managed -
Scottish Champ
Scottish premiership
English league 2
English league 1

Grant McCann
Clubs managed = 3
Levels managed -
English league 1
English championship

Scott Brown
Clubs managed = 0
Levels managed = 0

Steven Naismith
Clubs managed = 0
Levels managed = 0

I was roughly looking at senior level and not teenage teams.

Now seen thibgs saying Jack Ross an has rejected an offer from St. Mirren to return as boss.
I wonder why? The money? If he has rejected us, then I worry we are going to go for the untested route with 0 experience, which then you wonder if that could f**k the momentum we currently have and what contacts would they have for off season signings?