The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Finish top 4 and win a cup every 5/6 seasons isn't achievable? On a budget that apes much of the competition?

You Buddies really are deluded wee mannies.

So why haven't you given Glass time to see if he can win a cup in the timeframe you've specified? Will Goodwin get 5/6 seasons, or is the clock still running? You already haven't won a cup since 2014, so every 5/6 seasons is already patently unrealistic.

Anyway, yeah, we're the deluded ones.

Goodwin I have unfinished business at St Miiren we are after a cup semi final and top six place. This first big challenge is Saturday at Livingston.  How good would it be to read that tomorrow.  If he leaves I would love to see McManus at least given the role till the end of the season. He has always done well as caretaker manager.  Granted he might want to stay as youth coach. I'm not fussed with Ross he left us in one mighty mess. Remember it was Burnley then it was,Ipswich then it was Sunderland.. took employees from us including a kit man. I don't dislike Ross but if he does not get results it won't take much for the fans to turn against him. So to much of a gamble in my book. It's never the same second time round. 

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

Mutual agreement, while suiting both parties (presumably), is a bit of an ignominious end of Erwin's St Mirren career.

Can Erwin sign for anyone now if he wasn’t a free agent at the close of transfer window? I know he could have been signed on loan if he was still attached to a club until 28th Feb.

@IDoNotKnowThisOne

Top6 and not going out of the cups to a team from a lower division (Raith), should be the minimum for Aberdeen,  although I can see that a manager that can't exceed those minimum expectation with a Top 3/4 finish and good cup runs (which means on not going out to teams like Motherwell) over a 2/3 year tenure wouldn't deserve a new contract, but I'm in firmly in the ecxcessive expectations category for Dons fans like yourself. I think you should've given Glass at least until Top6 was no longer possible in his first season, although as I said in an earlier post you've not been a "sack happy" club.

25 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

Can Erwin sign for anyone now if he wasn’t a free agent at the close of transfer window? I know he could have been signed on loan if he was still attached to a club until 28th Feb.

He’s away after negotiating a deal to pay up his contract. Signed for some Finnish outfit. 

Your best to stay clear of him as he’s a pale shadow of the player he was at Motherwell. 

No heart no effort and little in the way of application.

In short a big shitebag.

12 minutes ago, btb said:

@IDoNotKnowThisOne

Top6 and not going out of the cups to a team from a lower division (Raith), should be the minimum for Aberdeen,  although I can see that a manager that can't exceed those minimum expectation with a Top 3/4 finish and good cup runs (which means on not going out to teams like Motherwell) over a 2/3 year tenure wouldn't deserve a new contract, but I'm in firmly in the ecxcessive expectations category for Dons fans like yourself. I think you should've given Glass at least until Top6 was no longer possible in his first season, although as I said in an earlier post you've not been a "sack happy" club.

Glass had to go as he was Cormack's man. We have to give ourselves the best possible chance of a 4th place finish due to what's at stake.

I felt sorry for Glass, but he wasn't learning from mistakes.

1 minute ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Your first line is nonsense. 

Top 6 and at least one trip to Hampden would've given Glass time for the overhaul. 

He simply wasn't up to it. We didn't expect a brilliant first season but we didn't expect it to go quite as poorly as it has, either. 

You're 2 points off top 6 and it's only February. So it all hinges on the cups?

42 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Aberdeen have the 3rd biggest budget in the league. Finishing at least 4th should be the requirement. That's not deluded, that would be expected of any club with a budget like ours. As long as Goodwin is achieving this in his first few seasons fans will be content, if he fails to deliver a trophy over a long period, then there will be rightful discontent etc. I think he'll have a pre 2017 McInnes bounce about us and do really well. 

f**k me. Our fans pay into a scheme specifically made to give us an edge on the park, we have a £10,000,000 playing budget. 

If it's deluded to suggest Goodwin should be finishing top 4 and picking up the occasional cup then I guess the definition of the word has changed. 

Obviously we have no given right to success but it's mental how often we're criticised for wanting more from our football club. 

Glass was afforded more time than I'd have given him. He had no previous record to hang his hat on and couldn't actually seem to motivate the players. 

If Goodwin is 9th next season and out both cups, we'll be rightfully calling for his head again. 

Thats football. The fans have to set some sort of standards, otherwise why are they parting with their hard earned cash? To watch their club amble and fumble about in the dark? 

My point is that any incoming manager is going to have to bear the frustrations of a fanbase that wants to win a cup every 5/6 years yet which has actually just won two in 30. For whatever reason - geography, league profile, deep-seated issues at your club, no toasters in the dressing room, whatever it is - that relatively large playing budget seems to count for f**k all when it comes to actually winning trophies.

You've said the new manager needs to at least finish fourth, yet you sacked yer man while you're sitting a few points off fourth place. You've said new manager needs to win occasional trophies, but also said that if Goodwin's out both cups next season then you'll be calling for his head - which doesn't cover the 'occasional' timeframe.

It's no wonder managers of the profile that most your fans seem to want to attract won't touch the job with a bargepole.

Edit to add: you are, of course, entitled to your expectations, but the only reason I've engaged with you here is because you called us deluded and I'm not sure we're the only ones.

Edited by Coventry Saint

9 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

This topic has shown a clear differece between what Saints fans think of as a realistic target for Aberdeen (esp. in a manager's first season) and what they do - as @Doctor Sanchez said elsewhere it's something of a surprise to see a disagreeent like this on t'internet!

Edited by btb

4 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Aberdeen fans are all over the shop on this. Clearly, the days of Fergie, Miller, McLeish, Gothenburg… gone. Aberdeen fans in 2022 though do seem to have trouble accepting that having 15,000 or so home gates, a big(ish) stadium, and a healthy (compared to others) budget, guarantees fcuk-all. Hibs have big crowds, a big stadium, a decent budget. Hearts have big crowds, a big stadium, a decent budget. There’s little between any of us anymore though. Livingston, last season, were tough as fcuk to beat under Martindale. St Johnstone won both cups. Motherwell are always a tough nut to crack.

Fcuk knows what would keep Goodwin or anyone from going the way of Glass, because all Aberdeen fans can offer to say they should be out-performing Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell, or anyone is… we have a big budget.

3 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

He'll get a free hit til the end of the season to weed out the imposters (most of them) and he'll be suitably backed in the summer. 

If he gets the chance then we'll see, but I think you are maybe underestimating the capriciousness of football supporters. Unless you are meaning that purely from a BoD perspective, in which case they stuck with Glass possibly longer than they should have. Tough to call of course.

How long is a "honeymoon period" these days?

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

He’s away after negotiating a deal to pay up his contract. Signed for some Finnish outfit. 

Your best to stay clear of him as he’s a pale shadow of the player he was at Motherwell. 

No heart no effort and little in the way of application.

In short a big shitebag.

Brilliant thanks looks like we dodged a bullet.