The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

From what I gathered, they only offered him a play as you pay deal.

I personally think there is enough noise online from supporters to suggest the majority would be against this signing and hopefully the board have taken note.

We apparently offered a lower basic wage with good bonus incentives based on performance. For me says a lot about his confidence and willingness to improve that he refused it...

1 minute ago, locheedee said:

We apparently offered a lower basic wage with good bonus incentives based on performance. For me says a lot about his confidence and willingness to improve that he refused it...

That's what we should offer him. £20,000 per year with a £3K per goal bonus.

2 minutes ago, locheedee said:

What were his performances like for you? I've got to be honest, I've not really been following and people have been suggesting he's treated Dundee like mugs. Just wondering what the story is there.

I did have a wee smile at this (belting) goal, the celebration and then the shout from the crowd at 33 seconds...

15 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I understand we already have a free agent striker coming in who previously played for a league 1 team in England. 

I hope it’s true as it will help kill any daft notion about us being linked with Griffiths. 

Heard we were in for Sam Baldock but he has now joined Oxford!

Griffiths is a natural finisher and even if only half fit would put away some of the numerous chances we create.  How many times when we played Celtic was their dread when the ball went to Griffiths in or just outside the box ....................Be honest almost all of us would have had some form of dread.

I am not condoning what he did or even suggesting its acceptable.  However, its about on a par with  what a certain Portuguese superstar was allegedly accused of and many more top professionals in England. 

Goodwillie's actions were horrendous but he has paid his penance (and a lot of money) and knuckled down at lower league clubs to score goals (as the only gigs he could get).  In all honesty , there are other Scottish players and managers currently involved in scottish senior football have had similar or worse accusations allegedly levelled against them that have resulted in consequences. . 

There is a rehabilitation of offenders act in Scottish law that allows someone to get a second chance if they show willingness to change their ways.  If someone has been a legitimate grievance against the actions of another that has went to court , they should see it through to a logical conclusion and not accept a handout for financial gain to drop the case.....................its sort of defeats the principles of taking the case to court. 

I am neither sexist or prejudiced against anyone or anything, I just believe that if you have been punished for your actions you should be continually punished for them or the situation dragged up constantly.   This is of course my personal view but appreciate and respect all other views that may differ from mine     

25 minutes ago, Boredatnine said:

Griffiths is a natural finisher and even if only half fit would put away some of the numerous chances we create.  How many times when we played Celtic was their dread when the ball went to Griffiths in or just outside the box ....................Be honest almost all of us would have had some form of dread.

I am not condoning what he did or even suggesting its acceptable.  However, its about on a par with  what a certain Portuguese superstar was allegedly accused of and many more top professionals in England. 

Goodwillie's actions were horrendous but he has paid his penance (and a lot of money) and knuckled down at lower league clubs to score goals (as the only gigs he could get).  In all honesty , there are other Scottish players and managers currently involved in scottish senior football have had similar or worse accusations allegedly levelled against them that have resulted in consequences. . 

There is a rehabilitation of offenders act in Scottish law that allows someone to get a second chance if they show willingness to change their ways.  If someone has been a legitimate grievance against the actions of another that has went to court , they should see it through to a logical conclusion and not accept a handout for financial gain to drop the case.....................its sort of defeats the principles of taking the case to court. 

I am neither sexist or prejudiced against anyone or anything, I just believe that if you have been punished for your actions you should be continually punished for them or the situation dragged up constantly.   This is of course my personal view but appreciate and respect all other views that may differ from mine     

Sorry but that's all over the place. The Griffiths you mention at the start doesn't exist any more, recalling some halcyon memory is completely at odds with the performances he has delivered of the last 2, 3, 4 years? If he can't motivate himself enough to play for the club his own son supports, where he was a player before and where the fans support him, all this with his mate as the manager, why on Earth do you think that he's going to suddenly rock up to St Mirren and be that player from your memory?

Next up the whataboutery. Sure there are lots of people in the game who may not be ideal characters, that's not addressing Griffiths, all that's doing is lowering the bar, not raising it.

The idea of rehabilitation is something I don't disagree with, but Goodwillie doesn't consider himself guilty and has shown absolutely no contrition. How does rehabilitation work when the party to be rehabilitated refuses to acknowledge the impact of their actions. The whole "they should see it through to a logical conclusion and not accept a handout for financial gain to drop the case"  is concerning too, as if your personal preference somehow trumps the preferences of those actually involved in whatever action/mediation is brought.

Just for clarity, I don't want Griffiths at the club because he's shit, first and foremost. I am 'uncomfortable' with his persona and the absolute heaps of baggage that comes with him. There is also his disciplinary problems. Long long before you want to discuss the merits of anything else, he's just not good enough, and never will be.

Edited by Ric

27 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

What were his performances like for you? I've got to be honest, I've not really been following and people have been suggesting he's treated Dundee like mugs. Just wondering what the story is there.

I did have a wee smile at this (belting) goal, the celebration and then the shout from the crowd at 33 seconds...

'Meh' would be the best description. Other than the occasional goal like that one, he wasn't even half the player he was for us or Celtic.

Not sure if that was his fitness, his confidence or his mental health issues though (potentially compounded by the amount of abuse he got every game).

Not sure he's exactly treated us like mugs but it doesn't sit well that we gave him a chance to play when others wouldn't touch him and then he rejects the new offer and decides to try and find an easier pay day elsewhere.

1 hour ago, locheedee said:

'Meh' would be the best description. Other than the occasional goal like that one, he wasn't even half the player he was for us or Celtic.

Not sure if that was his fitness, his confidence or his mental health issues though (potentially compounded by the amount of abuse he got every game).

Not sure he's exactly treated us like mugs but it doesn't sit well that we gave him a chance to play when others wouldn't touch him and then he rejects the new offer and decides to try and find an easier pay day elsewhere.

Have to agree here. He has made a significant amount of money over the last 7/8 years at Celtic, so he could have maybe found the form and fitness he needed to make his next move in the summer by staying at Dundee. As they say though, there is very few loyalties in football.
Too much of a luxury imo in terms of what he would be paid per week to most likely not bring you the return you are hoping for.
Kyle Lafferty's impact at Killie last season was similar to  what potentially Griffiths could have brought to Dundee, though he hasn't came anywhere near it. 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Sorry but that's all over the place. The Griffiths you mention at the start doesn't exist any more, recalling some halcyon memory is completely at odds with the performances he has delivered of the last 2, 3, 4 years? If he can't motivate himself enough to play for the club his own son supports, where he was a player before and where the fans support him, all this with his mate as the manager, why on Earth do you think that he's going to suddenly rock up to St Mirren and be that player from your memory?

Next up the whataboutery. Sure there are lots of people in the game who may not be ideal characters, that's not addressing Griffiths, all that's doing is lowering the bar, not raising it.

The idea of rehabilitation is something I don't disagree with, but Goodwillie doesn't consider himself guilty and has shown absolutely no contrition. How does rehabilitation work when the party to be rehabilitated refuses to acknowledge the impact of their actions. The whole "they should see it through to a logical conclusion and not accept a handout for financial gain to drop the case"  is concerning too, as if your personal preference somehow trumps the preferences of those actually involved in whatever action/mediation is brought.

Just for clarity, I don't want Griffiths at the club because he's shit, first and foremost. I am 'uncomfortable' with his persona and the absolute heaps of baggage that comes with him. There is also his disciplinary problems. Long long before you want to discuss the merits of anything else, he's just not good enough, and never will be.

Fair enough thats your opinion and I respect that, I understand why you dont want Griffiths as it is a risk.

Whataboutery  - simply pointing out there are people with similar baggage doing very well in the leagues in both Scotland and England not lowering the bar at all just pointing out the precedences

From a seeing it through perspective  - if you accept the money in principle you accept the position  - if you dont accept the position then just dont take the money, please read what I said ,  this was my personal view but would respect other peoples opinions.  I note your opinions , you dont want him at the club and I respect that opinion and position. 

As an aside , who would you like to St Mirren signing for the price range we can afford.  Not many decent around 

1 minute ago, smellthepaw said:

Have to agree here. He has made a significant amount of money over the last 7/8 years at Celtic, so he could have maybe found the form and fitness he needed to make his next move in the summer by staying at Dundee. As they say though, there is very few loyalties in football.
Too much of a luxury imo in terms of what he would be paid per week to most likely not bring you the return you are hoping for.
Kyle Lafferty's impact at Killie last season was similar to  what potentially Griffiths could have brought to Dundee, though he hasn't came anywhere near it. 

Yeah I'd have thought playing for his mates team, where he'd have the backing of the supporters from his time in the deefiant season (and that his son supports) would have been enough of a reason for him to try but as a lot of folks are saying he's probably going the same way as Riordan and O'Connor.

7 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Problem is Brophy could be out for months not weeks. 

For that to work we need Erwin to be 100% committed, which will be difficult as its obvious Jim hasn't rated him and we tried to punt him to Thistle.

Erwin sank to the ground on Tuesday when the equaliser went in: that would suggest that he is bothered. Obviously he wants to be at the club and now has a point to prove. Like Erwin and Main, Kiltie was written off earlier in the season... 

Edited by Buttocks Brown

14 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Erwin sank to the ground on Tuesday when the equaliser went in: that would suggest that he is bothered. Obviously he wants to be at the club and now has a point to prove. Like Erwin and Main, Kiltie was written off earlier in the season... 

I hope your correct in relation to Erwin’s attitude. If he does care about the team and wants to do well by proving Goodwin wrong, good on him but I’ve got my doubts.

First issue will be work rate and application need to ramp up from 50% to a hell-of a lot higher than we’ve previously seen. 

Edited by glenburn bud

20 minutes ago, Boredatnine said:

Whataboutery  - simply pointing out there are people with similar baggage doing very well in the leagues in both Scotland and England not lowering the bar at all just pointing out the precedences.  

It's not that you are wrong, although the comment is too general. I'd like to ask who you would consider having similar baggage and doing very well, but it's side tracking from the point I was making. Society is changing, there is a distinct direction of travel. It's not really a suitable argument to say, "others are similar" because it doesn't address it, it just acknowledges it.

From a seeing it through perspective  - if you accept the money in principle you accept the position  - if you dont accept the position then just dont take the money, please read what I said.   

You'll forgive me, I'm not sure if you are using an analogy there, but where did money come into this?

As an aside , who would you like to St Mirren signing for the price range we can afford.  Not many decent around.

Who knows, I'm not overly convinced Goodwin has such a good eye for strikers. At times it seems more luck than anything.

I tell you what though, if you played Erwin as first pick, while being ineffective as he is, I feel you'd get as many goals out of him as you would bringing in Griffiths, and without any unsavoury baggage to boot.