The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I would have rated these three in the order of Dennis, Erwin and Main. Yes, I would play Erwin before Main! However Erwin and Goody seem to have badly fallen out a while back which suits no-one. So we are left with Main as second choice as I think he will be played before Greive, certainly initially. Greive is raw and holds on to the ball too long but looks a decent prospect. Just hope Main goes in the summer as he still has another year on his contract.

4 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Fairly happy with the window. McGrath moving for £150k and a sell on is potentially better than him kicking around and going for nothing. 

Disappointing Dennis was the striker to go out of Main and Erwin - I'd say he was the best of all 3. 

Erwin choosing to stay is surprising, IIRC his contract is up at the end of the season and a downwards move to a Championship club looks his most likely option - I'd have thought a chance to show what he's worth at Thistle would've suited him.

Greive has the same issue as McGrath and Connelly did when they arrived. Namely they were better than the level they were playing at and thus thought they could beat everyone - against Aberdeen he should have got two shots away far earlier. Learn that and he could be decent. 

49 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Blast from the past but this dude is kicking about and wouldn't require a work permit...

I can't imagine Goodwin having the time to run the rule over the lad considering his inbox will be stuffed to the gunnels with some random fantasy football scout recommendations from the Uzbek leagues.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Blast from the past but this dude is kicking about and wouldn't require a work permit...

image.thumb.png.c5c6961a08f0de248b108ad1a3e5412f.png

Insane how his career took off shortly after we weren't allowed to take him on loan - but we got Isma instead so no harm done.

16 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Seems a decent prospect from early research. Think he’ll do a job for qp ?

I be genuinely stunned if he doesn't shine at that level. He played 90 minutes against Celtic and certainly showed he was more than capable. All the usual caveats come with that glowing recommendation, young player, perhaps inconsistent, may need to settle in a new team, etc, etc...

That's an interesting one, good player to have around, but other than covering for RB/LB I can't really see any other place for him in this new Goodwin formation. Are Tait and Millar just cover now? Neither are really ideal at going forward but both have players ahead of them in the defensive positions.

Edited by Ric