The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, GAD said:

There were quite a few of Stubbs signings that were not only total shite, but came across as complete wankers as well. Heaton was a total fucking dick. King as well, and I'm sure Coulson was mouthing off about the Scottish players at the club as well, doing the Joey Barton routine of "I was actually too good for them".

It was just a horrible few months for the club all round. At least Cody Cooke was a nice guy!

was there not a story about stubbs signing a player for us so as to benefit his own sons career?

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Just saw Cody Cooke on Twitter wishing King and Kellerman good luck for today. That's quite the shit footballer clique they formed.

I remember posting that pic during the shootout in the Killie game when there was a huge gap between the new and old players. I had jokingly said it looked like there was a divide. Turns out there really was 

I quite liked Cooke. Still remember his hat trick. Unlucky with injuries. Not the worst player to have played up front for us

26 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Jim Kellerman playing against Chelsea. Lukaku and all.

He and King just conspired to hand Chelsea a third.

8 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I quite liked Cooke. Still remember his hat trick. Unlucky with injuries. Not the worst player to have played up front for us

TBH I liked him too. Honest lad. Not quite good enough, but always put himself about. Plus he made that fucking United defender cry in the playoff.

As much as he probably wasn’t good enough for the top flight, I’d take him over some of our attacking options just now.

I know Stubbs was/is a total arsehole and a horrible  appointment but I think that is clouding folks real memories of Tommy Craigs abominable reign as manager. He’s hands down the worst of the two. Stubbs wasn’t even bottom when we bulleted him.

An Alan Stubbs XI would annihilate a Tommy Craig one (most teams did) !  

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm almost entirely convinced your signing Matty Kennedy and Drey Wright this month.

Kennedy seems inevitable, sadly.

Wasn't Wright rumoured to be part of the package Hibs originally put together for McGrath, when we laughed them out the building at the start of the summer window? Obviously we knew at that stage we'd be getting way bigger offers in 😐

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Wasn't Wright rumoured to be part of the package Hibs originally put together for McGrath, when we laughed them out the building at the start of the summer window? Obviously we knew at that stage we'd be getting way bigger offers in 😐

We accepted their offer did we not ?

10 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

We accepted their offer did we not ?

At the end of the window, aye. But they'd been rumoured to be interested early on and the story was (IIRC) that Drey Wright was part of that. 

We said no.

Disclaimer: I may have totally misremembered this, tbf.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Goodwin has a stiffy for Kennedy and I really don't know why. He looked poor at St Johnstone, looked poor and hardly played for Aberdeen and I can't see anywhere he'd fit into the team as Goodwin has it set up now.

If we sign Wright, then it's nothing more than admitting defeat. I don't want rockets like Lafferty near the club but there is at least a chance he'll score. If I'm reading the stats correctly Wright has scored 1 (yes, one) league goal in 60+ appearances since 2018. Goodwin would be utterly mad to allow such a waster to join the club.

Edited by Ric

39 minutes ago, Ric said:

Goodwin has a stiffy for Kennedy and I really don't know why. He looked poor at St Johnstone, looked poor and hardly played for Aberdeen and I can't see anywhere he'd fit into the team as Goodwin has it set up now.

If we sign Wright, then it's nothing more than admitting defeat. I don't want rockets like Lafferty near the club but there is at least a chance he'll score. If I'm reading the stats correctly Wright has scored 1 (yes, one) league goal in 60+ appearances since 2018. Goodwin would be utterly mad to allow such a waster to join the club.

Agree that both would be lazy and uninspiring signings, more so because both have well documented injury problems. 

I long for the excitement of signing someone from the Slovakian league that we've never heard of.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm hoping that Goodwin has learned that signing players that aren't match fit during the January widow doesn't work. i.e. Chabbi and Quaner.

Kennedy falls exactly into that category. Definitely what we don't need at present.

Neither Wright nor Kennedy could lace Durmus' or Connolly's boots when it comes to pace and/or creativity.

For all the criticism that Connolly was subjected to, I'd have him back in a heartbeat, just to see a player that leaves the opposition defenders in their wake.

19 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Agree that both would be lazy and uninspiring signings, more so because both have well documented injury problems. 

I long for the excitement of signing someone from the Slovakian league that we've never heard of.

Yeah, or that tank of a Dutch striker we were linked with right at the then start of the Goody era. Looked more like a casual than a fitba player.

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I'm hoping that Goodwin has learned that signing players that aren't match fit during the January widow doesn't work. i.e. Chabbi and Quaner.

Kennedy falls exactly into that category. Definitely what we don't need at present.

Neither Wright nor Kennedy could lace Durmus' or Connolly's boots when it comes to pace and/or creativity.

For all the criticism that Connolly was subjected to, I'd have him back in a heartbeat, just to see a player that leaves the opposition defenders in their wake.

100% re Connolly. You can't underestimate the amount of space that a guy as fast as him creates for the rest of the team. Defences have to drop right off to prevent being caught out. No coincidence that McGrath was a better player when he had faster players around him creating space.

19 minutes ago, FTOF said:

You feel Goodwin would just leave him on the bench and still complain that there isn't enough pace in the side.

I liked Connolly but for me he was the same as Corcoran. Fast, but lacking in final product, and very often offside.

That said, like you I'd happily have him back.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

If this turns out to be the road we're going down, it will be the beginning of the end of Goodwin. 

Kennedy or Wright will not improve our team.

2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

If this turns out to be the road we're going down, it will be the beginning of the end of Goodwin. 

Kennedy or Wright will not improve our team.

I don’t know why but some football managers are some of the most stubborn people in leadership and often develop tunnel vision as they become nervous about losing their job.
Ironically the tunnel vision is actually why they end up getting fired in the end.
I really hope Jim can get himself out of this back 3, wingback to target man funk that he is in otherwise it will be a case of when he gets fired…….not if……….and that will be a shame.