The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

For the shit managers we've had in recent years, each of them had a case for the defence. Craig had been with the club a few years, was by all accounts a nice guy. Signed some utter shite, but also lost Thommo which was a huge blow he proby didn't see coming. Teale was a bit the same, got McLean sold out from under him and we were probably already doomed. Murray again signed some shite, but seemed a nice enough guy just miles out his depth.

Rae saved us in his first season but fucked up the summer transfer window. To be honest, most of the players he signed were alright players, (not Hutton), but he just signed the wrong ones and neglected to bother with a midfeild. He'd also have probably been given a lot more time if the new owners hadn't been desperate to sack him so they could bring Ross in.

Stubbs there is nothing. The fact the only one of his signings looked on with any fondness by the St Mirren fans is Cody Cooke says a lot. I'm usually pretty happy clappy and willing to give people a go, but I remember going to the league cup group game against Queens Park and sitting there thinking how we were completely fucked. The team he assembled was worse than the one Rae left Ross. Stubbs team wouldn't have stayed up in the Championship. I genuinely don't think any of the guys above deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as that c**t.

38 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

What was Zingalis former name on here? Certainly posting like he used to before the grovelling to Div.

Demented Zebra.

51 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

What was Zingalis former name on here? Certainly posting like he used to before the grovelling to Div.

Stuart Dickson then Law Stud.

7 hours ago, GAD said:

For the shit managers we've had in recent years, each of them had a case for the defence. Craig had been with the club a few years, was by all accounts a nice guy. Signed some utter shite, but also lost Thommo which was a huge blow he proby didn't see coming. Teale was a bit the same, got McLean sold out from under him and we were probably already doomed. Murray again signed some shite, but seemed a nice enough guy just miles out his depth.

Rae saved us in his first season but fucked up the summer transfer window. To be honest, most of the players he signed were alright players, (not Hutton), but he just signed the wrong ones and neglected to bother with a midfeild. He'd also have probably been given a lot more time if the new owners hadn't been desperate to sack him so they could bring Ross in.

Stubbs there is nothing. The fact the only one of his signings looked on with any fondness by the St Mirren fans is Cody Cooke says a lot. I'm usually pretty happy clappy and willing to give people a go, but I remember going to the league cup group game against Queens Park and sitting there thinking how we were completely fucked. The team he assembled was worse than the one Rae left Ross. Stubbs team wouldn't have stayed up in the Championship. I genuinely don't think any of the guys above deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as that c**t.

Rae didn't help himself with his treatment of Goodwin either. He moans about only getting 6 games that season but the writing was on the wall after about 3 games, there was no way it was getting turned around. He has sullied his reputation since by moaning about the budget/state of the club while others have shown the budget is more than adequate at whatever level we are competing. 

However, Stubbs is comfortably the worst manager of recent times at St Mirren & probably across all clubs in the Premiership. Not a single player he signed was of adequate ability. That is some going.

Great disharmony was created when some of Stubbs signings turned up at the pre-season training camp in Spain. Experienced players were shocked at the incredibly low standard of Stubbs' signings after the first training session where they could hardly control a ball. A very senior back-room employee admitted they had made a big mistake appointing Stubbs and Stubbs had only been in the job around 10 days.

And after that Queens Park game where they were far better than us I knew that season would be a disaster

Disharmony, anger and low morale existed when Stubbs walked through the door.

26 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Rae didn't help himself with his treatment of Goodwin either. He moans about only getting 6 games that season but the writing was on the wall after about 3 games, there was no way it was getting turned around. He has sullied his reputation since by moaning about the budget/state of the club while others have shown the budget is more than adequate at whatever level we are competing. 

However, Stubbs is comfortably the worst manager of recent times at St Mirren & probably across all clubs in the Premiership. Not a single player he signed was of adequate ability. That is some going.

I'd say Rae deserves some (I stress only 'some') credit for keeping us up the season he came in. He probably put a rocket up a few players' arses. Your point about Goodwin is correct though, I'd add Thompson to that too. These were good experienced players who should've been kept on for another year. It seemed like he wanted to put a marker to show who was in charge. He then replaced them with dug shite like Kyle Hutton. 

Stubbs was an absolute riot though. I'd slightly disagree with none of the players being adequate quality. Alfie Jones was ok. Willock was a big let down but at least had some pedigree and flashes that he might be a player. Cody Cooke tried hard and wasn't totally shite. Other than that though, you'd have been as well with me filling some of those slots. 

There's been a few examples of managers from outside Scotland really underestimating the standard of football. But with Stubbs there should've been no excuse. He'd been both a player and a manager here. 

Stubbs and Rae were similar in the fact that it looked like they wanted to show who was in charge, get rid of players who'd done well for us, who were popular with the fans. If you then replace these players with absolute shite, you won't last long. 

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

I'd argue that Hayden Coulson was but the lad was clearly an attacking full back and was instructed not to venture forward. He was the only one, (and maybe Alfie Jones) that I thought in a better side might have looked alright.