The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Goodwin will have identified players he wants in, no doubt about it.

Yea, he seems to be really happy getting any business done quickly during the windows. If he's got his eyes on anyone, and we have the cash, I'd imagine we'll be hearing about any signings pretty soon... 

14 hours ago, Ric said:

Got to say, I'm laughing at Dundee and St Johnstone fans desperately trying to pour water on the idea an established internationalist has some value.

The logic it seems is based on nothing more than "they don't want it to be true".

In the summer he was worth £3m and an Iniesta re-gen. 

Your fans are happy at the idea now of £300k and saying he's been shit all season. 

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Its a matter of the waiting game for us now.

Whats the chances of seeing a new player coming in before we have got shot of anyone?

Another problem is we don't have a say in who McGrath goes to. He can sign his pre-contract and if the club don't want to stump up the money or any adequate players for us then he'll be here till the summer. I think we will be looking to cash in on him now.

How hard will it be to shift guys like Erwin at the start of the window too? Most clubs at this level will be looking to get rid of folk first and have replacements lined up.

Will this window be a long wait for us? Goodwin will have identified players he wants in, no doubt about it.

Best chance of shifting Erwin would be to the likes of Killie, who could afford a loan for him. He'd probably be fine at that level.

Interestingly, arguably his most prolific spell came early in his career on a loan move to the current Championship leaders. Eight goals in 11 for Arbroath in 2013, apparently. Maybe they'd have him back.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

In the summer he was worth £3m and an Iniesta re-gen. 

Your fans are happy at the idea now of £300k and saying he's been shit all season. 

Ha ha. I'd forgotten about the "better than Ferguson" chat.

FWIW I was told the deal was a goer before Christmas. Whether someone comes in and blows us out of the water is another matter.

On 04/01/2022 at 08:26, Ric said:

Got to say, I'm laughing at Dundee and St Johnstone fans desperately trying to pour water on the idea an established internationalist has some value.

The logic it seems is based on nothing more than "they don't want it to be true".

A couple of Dundee fans and RandomGimp, let's not go down the route Random goes Ric.

8 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Ha ha. I'd forgotten about the "better than Ferguson" chat.

Don't think I saw that, but last season he certainly put in better performances than Ferguson while scoring an absolute shed load of goals.

This year, not so much, obviously.

Let's be entirely honest here, if he had another couple of years on his contract and was playing to the level we know he can, then a 2-3 million pound price tag is not in any way crazy talk.

Of course, neither of those things are the case, sadly, and so we have to take what we've given as it's clear McGrath wants to go onto 'bigger and better things'. I'm not being dismissive here, but I really don't feel clubs like Aberdeen and/or Hibs necessarily are 'bigger or better' in terms of a move, and if he goes to either club I would imagine it will be for a season or two before he's off to 'bigger and better' teams after that. In very much the same way McLean or McGinn did.

49 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

A couple of Dundee fans and RandomGimp, let's not go down the route Random goes Ric.

I believe the person you are referring to is the most knowledgeable St Johnstone supporter on this board. In fact, many may consider them "the leader" of the 'Perth massive'.

It's a shame you dismiss one of your own so easily, Tam.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

I believe the person you are referring to is the most knowledgeable St Johnstone supporter on this board. In fact, many may consider them "the leader" of the 'Perth massive'.

It's a shame you dismiss one of your own so easily, Tam.

That's Radford.

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

Let's be entirely honest here, if he had another couple of years on his contract and was playing to the level we know he can, then a 2-3 million pound price tag is not in any way crazy talk.

Of course, neither of those things are the case, sadly, and so we have to take what we've given as it's clear McGrath wants to go onto 'bigger and better things'. I'm not being dismissive here, but I really don't feel clubs like Aberdeen and/or Hibs necessarily are 'bigger or better' in terms of a move, and if he goes to either club I would imagine it will be for a season or two before he's off to 'bigger and better' teams after that. In very much the same way McLean or McGinn did.

I don't think anyone can realistically say that a move to Aberdeen or Hibs isn't a step up at this time. 

If he signs for us, plays brilliant and then makes the step up again in a couple of I'd be delighted, with the obvious bit of annoyance that we've lost a player in his peak years.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

I don't think anyone can realistically say that a move to Aberdeen or Hibs isn't a step up at this time.

I'm not saying Aberdeen or Hibs aren't a bigger club than St Mirren, just seems a bit of an incremental step than a particularly large leap.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

If the move down South isn’t on, then a move to the likes of Aberdeen is the ideal stepping stone. I think we have to accept it most probably is a bigger/better move for McGrath, not least in terms of wages. Bearing in mind in 10 years time McGrath will be chucking it with no guarantee as to what will happen next for him. The move certainly hasn’t done McLean any harm and more recently a similar move for Ferguson looks to have done wonders for him with his big move imminent. 
If McGrath moves on this month we could reinvest the money to bring in a replacement midfielder to get them accustomed to watching the ball sail over their head, in time for next season. The sale of McGrath might force Goodwin’s hand to try something new as he has been one of the few guaranteed starters this season, not that we look setup to suit McGrath. The sooner we have Brophy back the better. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that a move to the Championship isn't a bigger step up than a move to Aberdeen. But if no Championship clubs are willing to jump on the chance at this point then a move to the Dons is a step up - albeit less of a step than had he got a move down south.

6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

If he signs for us, plays brilliant and then makes the step up again in a couple of I'd be delighted, with the obvious bit of annoyance that we've lost a player in his peak years.

Without a doubt Aberdeen and Hibs are significantly bigger clubs, however they are bigger clubs in the same diddy league. 😛

Any player with ambition would want to go to the English Championship, which I think financially is the sixth biggest league in Europe, if they can.
At 25 he really can’t afford another 2 years in our league if he is going to kick on……….assuming any Championship clubs actually want him though.

17 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Best chance of shifting Erwin would be to the likes of Killie, who could afford a loan for him. He'd probably be fine at that level.

Interestingly, arguably his most prolific spell came early in his career on a loan move to the current Championship leaders. Eight goals in 11 for Arbroath in 2013, apparently. Maybe they'd have him back.

Arbroath seem to have much better luck with young strikers on loan than anything else. 

Could maybe see a return to Killie but McInnes will have seen enough to know what hes getting, which is bad for us. 

Seems to be a vicious cycle for us, signing these strikers that can't score on decent length contracts and we spend most of the time counting the months down till they can be released or papped off to another team.

If he can go to England he will, but like in the summer that might not pan out.

I have a mental image of his agent working his way north on deadline day in August - Sheffield United fell through so he hopped up the M1/A1//A19 to try Boro... they pulled out so he just headed north until someone seemed interested. With that strategy in mind, Aberdeen were perhaps inevitable.