The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

What the f**k is exciting about that XI? We’d get roasted every week.

We’d have the slowest midfield in the league. Where is your creativity and supply coming from? Where is McGrath, the best player we have in the entire squad?

Brophy is a penalty box striker not wide left of a three. Why is he being shunted from his natural position for a lad that’s scored a couple goals on loan in the league below?

Surprised you’ve not recalled MacPherson and stuck him in there too ffs

Have to agree. There is no creativity in that line up apart from Henderson. 

3 hours ago, Spam_Valley said:

What the f**k is exciting about that XI? We’d get roasted every week.

We’d have the slowest midfield in the league. Where is your creativity and supply coming from? Where is McGrath, the best player we have in the entire squad?

Brophy is a penalty box striker not wide left of a three. Why is he being shunted from his natural position for a lad that’s scored a couple goals on loan in the league below?

Surprised you’ve not recalled MacPherson and stuck him in there too ffs

Where is the creativity and supply coming from in the current line up? We're picking Ronan and McGrath every fucking week and they're doing nothing. We might as well stick attacking players in the positions that the defence are thumping the ball to week in, week out. At least this way we'd have some natural out balls and some options up front, and some people stretching the defence.

I don't think CF is Brophy's natural position; he spends so much time wide/working the channels we might as well stick him there and put someone in the box who wants to be there. 

Brophy and Henderson would provide the width and the creativity, and Tanser would continue to do so.

Re McGrath, yeah, you're right, I should have clarified that that was a notional XI based on him almost certainly leaving, and in response to people asking whether Gogic could play with Power. I should also have clarified that this would, in my view, be a better version of the back three system that Jim seems determined to play.

38 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Where is the creativity and supply coming from in the current line up? We're picking Ronan and McGrath every fucking week and they're doing nothing. We might as well stick attacking players in the positions that the defence are thumping the ball to week in, week out. At least this way we'd have some natural out balls and some options up front, and some people stretching the defence.

I don't think CF is Brophy's natural position; he spends so much time wide/working the channels we might as well stick him there and put someone in the box who wants to be there. 

Brophy and Henderson would provide the width and the creativity, and Tanser would continue to do so.

Re McGrath, yeah, you're right, I should have clarified that that was a notional XI based on him almost certainly leaving, and in response to people asking whether Gogic could play with Power. I should also have clarified that this would, in my view, be a better version of the back three system that Jim seems determined to play.

The current XI is fine. It’s the tactical set up that is wrong.

I hate to break it to you but Brophy IS a centre forward. It’s where he’s played all his career, scored goals and managed a Scotland call up and cap in the process. He’s not a creator, he’s a goal scorer and if we provide him with actual opportunities to score, he will. I’d much rather he played through the middle than some young lad that can’t get a start with Inverness.

8 hours ago, Spam_Valley said:

The current XI is fine. It’s the tactical set up that is wrong.

I hate to break it to you but Brophy IS a centre forward. It’s where he’s played all his career, scored goals and managed a Scotland call up and cap in the process. He’s not a creator, he’s a goal scorer and if we provide him with actual opportunities to score, he will. I’d much rather he played through the middle than some young lad that can’t get a start with Inverness.

No need to hate to break it to me, I welcome the debate. However, I'd like to see it tried. We have given Brophy a foil - sometimes two - and it's not worked, so why not make him the foil? It'd change literally nothing about his game or how he likes to play.

He and Henderson would provide the width and movement, and we'd have a striker in the box to pick up rebounds/crosses.

My actual preference would be a back four but it's not happening so I'm looking at tweaks around the current system.

I don't blame Main for his performances, after all we knew exactly what we were getting, someone who has no pace, has little actual ability, and has an extremely poor goal record. I don't know the lad personally, but I genuinely feel sorry for him as he's been put into a formation that was never going to work for him. I blame Goodwin for that. It's been a dreadful addition to the squad.

It's the same in many ways for Erwin, I don't blame him for being a waste of a wage, again he might be a nice person but as a footballer he is as good as a man down.

Jamieson is not the answer, putting him into that squad just now would be the equivalent of playing Erhahon at LB. There is talent in the lad but it'll put his career back by recalling him. Much better to allow him to finish his loan, get loads of game time and a winning mentality (presuming ICT are there or thereabouts come the end of the season).

Goodwin goes on about how he "lost" Durmus and Connolly. Now for the former, sure, I get it, he wanted a move and that's fine. Connolly on the other hand I believe could have been convinced to stay if he was given a more regular start. It's all fine and well Goodwin complaining about the lack of pace, but Connolly was more often on the bench. Is Goodwin only thinking of pace as a last resort, a late injection into the squad, because that seemed to be the way he was used. Not that Connolly is a brilliant player, he could be a headless chicken at times, albeit a bloody fast one, but when Goodwin goes on about how he's "lost" him, it makes is sound like his hands were tied and I do not believe that was the case at all.

There are of course positives, it's not all negative, and Henderson, Reid and Offord, I genuinely believe are ready to be given more game time (in that order). Henderson has pace and is willing to take players on, Reid looks like he can handle himself in the middle of the park, and I was impressed by Offord's seemingly lack of fear in what must have been a huge opportunity for him

In terms of players coming in, I don't see a striker being brought in simply because we are stacked with (mostly all bad) options. Brophy seems capable of scoring goals, so there's that, but Dennis despite my hopes has failed to either get a run or, when he has, failed to lock down the position - whether that is down to him or the formation, who knows.

We'll have to bring someone in for McGrath who I will be stunned if he remains with us for the rest of the season. We still have Ronan on loan, which is great because I'd argue he's been the better player of the two this season. I am not entirely fussed if Gogic joins, to me he's effectively just Power but a few years younger, both are capable of effectively mopping up in defensive midfield, it's an utterly unambitious addition, Gogic is very much a lower Premiership player.

7 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Obika and morias both scored yesterday. Just saying.....

It's obviously all guesswork, but I would wager Obika would have more goals than Main at this point in the season. Neither are great players, but for me Obika offered more than Main, not much more, but definitely more.

As for Morias, he scored against Dover Athletic. That's the level he's playing at.

Obika was never the answer. He scored 5 League goals in his last season with us when we were on a high. Brophy has done that in less than half a season and he has been out with injuries. But Main is horrific and Obika's 5 league goals is better than Main's 0 league goals (he has a cheek trying to claim Fraser's goal).

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

No need to hate to break it to me, I welcome the debate. However, I'd like to see it tried. We have given Brophy a foil - sometimes two - and it's not worked, so why not make him the foil? It'd change literally nothing about his game or how he likes to play.

He and Henderson would provide the width and movement, and we'd have a striker in the box to pick up rebounds/crosses.

My actual preference would be a back four but it's not happening so I'm looking at tweaks around the current system.

I get your thinking about Brophy. However, all he’d do is cut in from the right and shoot - does he not have the most shots per minute played, or something ridiculous like that?

His best spell at Killie was as a central striker with Greg Stewart playing off him, from memory. I don’t think he suits playing with another forward as it restricts his movement.

13 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Obika was never the answer. He scored 5 League goals in his last season with us when we were on a high. Brophy has done that in less than half a season and he has been out with injuries. But Main is horrific and Obika's 5 league goals is better than Main's 0 league goals (he has a cheek trying to claim Fraser's goal).

5 league goals in 26 starts is not the worst. 

30 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

I get your thinking about Brophy. However, all he’d do is cut in from the right and shoot - does he not have the most shots per minute played, or something ridiculous like that?

His best spell at Killie was as a central striker with Greg Stewart playing off him, from memory. I don’t think he suits playing with another forward as it restricts his movement.

He's scored a couple that rightfully shouldn't have found the back of the net, like against Hibs. We need players who will have a crack at goal.

7 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

He's scored a couple that rightfully shouldn't have found the back of the net, like against Hibs. We need players who will have a crack at goal.

I think that's the difference. We have a couple of players who will surprise you with their goal. Ronan and McGrath have done so, and Brophy seems to have that talent as well.  I guess it's a bit of a toss up at our level. The rich clubs can have players that not only "throw in a worldy" but are also regular scorers of "normal" goals. We on the other hand, due to the market we are  in, have to make compromises.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

FWIW, Main did score a perfectly good goal at Celtic Park.

Not his fault the linesman didn't realise he was 2 yards onside.

26 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Not his fault the linesman didn't realise he was 2 yards onside.

Yep, I said at the time it wouldn’t have changed the game but it could have changed Mains confidence levels and the fans perception of him. 

21 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I mean if we are playing that game, we can counter it with the dreadful effort against Rangers which hardly trundled far enough to reach McGregor. Sadly for us, Main was onside at the time.