The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 hours ago, AW saint said:

We are at snails pace but we lack more than pace. Positioning is all over the place and our ability to close players down is shocking. Kiltie cannot play in the same team as McGrath and we have strikers who just dont know how to score goals. 

This is a major test for Goodwin and I hope the board sanction a few players out and better quality in this week. Matty Kennedy is not the saviour

Kiltie is being accommodated because JG just signed him , he's not a patch on Cammy McPherson who will be in and out the team again this season .Cammy will leave next year and come back and bite JG on the arse. Goodwin brings these players, like Kiltie and Tanser,  in to the club and doesn't have a clue how to get the best out of them. 

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Who made that rule? I go to St Mirren games where sometimes they win, sometimes they lose. Celtic fans turn up and watch a procession 9 times out of 10, some of the fans don’t even stand up when the 5th goes in. 

i've seen it everywhere, you can't change teams, and you shouldnt support anyone who isnt pissing distance from your front door, not having a go a you personally, its just something i constantly see being mentioned, its never an issue when the new team is shite though

1 minute ago, Meldrew said:

i've seen it everywhere, you can't change teams, and you shouldnt support anyone who isnt pissing distance from your front door, not having a go a you personally, its just something i constantly see being mentioned, its never an issue when the new team is shite though

I am mostly joking here, and people can support whoever they like, but I was taken to Celtic games by my Uncle for years, probably up until I was about 16. I started playing for a boys club on a Saturday and gave up my season ticket at Parkhead, and when I went to University I ended up good friends with a St Mirren supporter that didn’t know another St Mirren supporter to go to games with because his friends all supported Rangers or Celtic. Then I realised that a football game could actually be exciting and I decided I would rather support a team that lost as many games as they won. 

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I saw her once at a home game, she had not long had a baby so she was looking all mumsy and pumpable.

she'd still be pumpable at 60, for the same reason a Hibs fan from the 70's includes George Best in the team of the greatest he's ever seen

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

I am mostly joking here, and people can support whoever they like, but I was taken to Celtic games by my Uncle for years, probably up until I was about 16. I started playing for a boys club on a Saturday and gave up my season ticket at Parkhead, and when I went to University I ended up good friends with a St Mirren supporter that didn’t know another St Mirren supporter to go to games with because his friends all supported Rangers or Celtic. Then I realised that a football game could actually be exciting and I decided I would rather support a team that lost as many games as they won. 

i have no issue with that, but if you had gone the other way, Saints to Celtic, especially as old as 16, this place would go into meltdown

29 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I stand corrected but I’m sure the rest of the post is accurate. If I remember correctly Gus McPherson asked for Eddie Smith to never referee another St Mirren game after his display that day, but he ended up retiring as a referee soon after to pursue his career in the police? 

You're mixing two games up.

The game in question was 1-0, it was the first game of the season and the penalty and red happened about halfway through the second half after we'd been the better side. You are correct that Eddie Smith was the ref and JVOH did indeed dive after a touch on the shoulder... we did indeed complain about it but it was worse than fucking us up after 30 seconds, as we were well on our way to a possible point at the moment Smith changed the game.

The 7-0 game you are thinking about, we were getting horsed after 90 seconds and it descended from there but there wasn't a man sent off. We beat them 1-0 in the cup the following week.

8 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

i have no issue with that, but if you had gone the other way, Saints to Celtic, especially as old as 16, this place would go into meltdown

Rightly so.

Folk who jump from the OF to a provincial club are mostly doing so for reasons of seeing the light, not getting foisted into supporting a team they feel no connection with cos their da/granda supported them.

Folk who jump from supporting a small club to the OF are, in my experience, fragile people who can't handle the slagging they take when their team inevitably loses more often than not, so seek comfort in knowing they are going to support a team who will win almost all of the time.

They are almost always one for the watching. f**k those people.

Making the conscious decision to support a better team is easy and the actions of an arsehole, making the choice to draw yourself to a club you know is worse but choose them anyway is significantly less so. So there's no point in you making the comparison you did as it's not at all like for like.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, gordon.kennedy said:
1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:
When are you guys going to officially take Kennedy off our hands? What's been the hold up? He was having a medical on Tuesday/Wednesday last week apparently

I don't think the medical took place We might not be taking him as you have long term injuries. Decision to be made next week.

Even with the injuries i don't think Glass fancies him. Will be interesting to see if he makes the squad today. If not, then it's a pretty good indicator Glass wants shot of him. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Rightly so.

Folk who jump from the OF to a provincial club are mostly doing so for reasons of seeing the light, not getting foisted into supporting a team they feel no connection with cos their da/granda supported them.

Folk who jump from supporting a small club to the OF are, in my experience, fragile people who can't handle the slagging they take when their team inevitably loses more often than not, so seek comfort in knowing they are going to support a team who will win almost all of the time.

They are almost always one for the watching. f**k those people.

Making the conscious decision to support a better team is easy and the actions of an arsehole, making the choice to draw yourself to a club you know is worse but choose them anyway is significantly less so. So there's no point in you making the comparison you did as it's not at all like for like.

there is absolutely nothing superior about anyone who ''sees the light'' and jumps to a diddy team from either of the ugly sisters, are you telling me, that most diddy team fans, made that choice themselves and not because their old man, granddad, uncle or brother took them along to Ayr, Motherwell or St Mirren ?

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You're mixing two games up.

The game in question was 1-0, it was the first game of the season and the penalty and red happened about halfway through the second half after we'd been the better side. You are correct that Eddie Smith was the ref and JVOH did indeed dive after a touch on the shoulder... we did indeed complain about it but it was worse than fucking us up after 30 seconds, as we were well on our way to a possible point at the moment Smith changed the game.

The 7-0 game you are thinking about, we were getting horsed after 90 seconds and it descended from there but there wasn't a man sent off. We beat them 1-0 in the cup the following week.

Thanks for the clarification I think I’ve got about 3 games mixed up :lol: I was sure it was 7-1 the game Venegoor dived outside the box, but now I think about it I can’t remember anyone scoring for Saints. 

21 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

If I had went from St Mirren to Celtic at the age of 16 I would have been a complete loser, you are absolutely right. Luckily I didn’t though, and anyone who does that would be doing it for the sole reason of getting to watch their team win every week. 

I used to play Football Manager when I was younger, and I would always start at a team like Dundee United or Raith Rovers. 10 years into the game when you had become the best team in Scotland and we’re winning the league every year it became extremely boring and I stopped. That’s what supporting Rangers or Celtic is like, except their fans revel in that dominance and use it like a personality trait. There’s no entry criteria to support a team that wins every week, you don’t need to pass a test to support Celtic. If I was that way inclined I could turn round tomorrow and say I support Real Madrid and laugh at Celtics lack of European cups, I wouldn’t do that though because I want to go and support a team where winning a game means something, a genuine achievement.

22 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

. If I was that way inclined I could turn round tomorrow and say I support Real Madrid and laugh at Celtics lack of European cups.

or you could support Rangers and laugh at Real Madrid's lack of domestic titles....🤪😂

55 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

there is absolutely nothing superior about anyone who ''sees the light'' and jumps to a diddy team from either of the ugly sisters, are you telling me, that most diddy team fans, made that choice themselves and not because their old man, granddad, uncle or brother took them along to Ayr, Motherwell or St Mirren ?

I made the decision to support St Mirren, despite having no connection to the town or even knowing anything about the club, based on it stopped 5yo me getting a kicking for saying the wrong club when asked "who do you support". Absolutely nobody else in my family, or even extended family, have any interest in football.

Just now, Ric said:

I made the decision to support St Mirren, despite having no connection to the town or even knowing anything about the club, based on it stopped 5yo me getting a kicking for saying the wrong club when asked "who do you support". Absolutely nobody else in my family, or even extended family, have any interest in football.

yes at 5 years old, kids aren't clever enough to follow up with, ''aye, but who do your REALLY support''

1 minute ago, Meldrew said:

its just the generic response from the ugly sister fanbase, to them, or most of them, you have to have a preference

Ah, right, I thought that was meant to be me saying that not them. btw, these were "older boys", in the 70s of Glasgow you could guarantee a collection of "older boys" holding court and generally beating up anyone they deem unacceptable park patrons. Halcyon days, eh? Summers too long, mars bars bigger than they are now, etc.. etc..

18 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

No getting away from the fact that Goodwin has signed a pile of shite players. This squad look destined to finish in the automatic relegation spot. 

Give you a wave on the way past, did you really think it was going to go well this season recruiting from a relegated team ?