The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Yeah, not really convinced by the JDH chat. One swallow does not a Summer make. He played well for us at the start too, then faded, got bored, wanted more money and his agent hawked him around like a cheap hooker. I fully expect that cycle to happen with him at Hibs.

34 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

... or JG didn't utilise him in midfield properly

As for this, and sorry Sn1f I'm not singling you out here - lots of people have said the same, but I don't buy it at all. Are we genuinely saying that this guy is a great footballer unless he is asked to play maybe 10 yards different than his desired position? Yeah, that's not the case. He stopped playing because he wasn't being paid enough.

Edited by Ric

Got Man of the Match tonight, really really impressed, before tonight had only played off the bench at Motherwell (where he impressed) and away against the Andorran farmers on the worst quality stream I’ve ever seen so f**k knows how he played that night.
But he looks a proper player, some really good touches, a real real upgrade on Gogic, a bit of McGeouch about him but a better tackler and more direct, hardly put a foot wrong tonight and drove us forward, a lot of nice touches, fully expect him to be playing every week this season based on what I’ve seen so far.
Kyle Magennis is also starting to look like there’s a real player there too which is nice to see, he was good tonight aswell.
Why are you comparing him to Gogic ? I couldn't think of two more different style of players to be honest. He had great games and poor games for us, most of the great games came at this time last season too coincidentally. Kyle has always shown flashes that make you think there us a player there then another injury hits.

JDH is a class act. He came to us with no pre-season and after the season started. Later he picked up injuries but kept playing even during our 2 games a week period. Always calm and accurate with his passing. I thought we played him too deep but he was excellent at what he done.

I wasn't happy the way he pissed us about over a new contract but it was obvious there was a player there.

Edited by NorthBank

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:
Got Man of the Match tonight, really really impressed, before tonight had only played off the bench at Motherwell (where he impressed) and away against the Andorran farmers on the worst quality stream I’ve ever seen so f**k knows how he played that night.
But he looks a proper player, some really good touches, a real real upgrade on Gogic, a bit of McGeouch about him but a better tackler and more direct, hardly put a foot wrong tonight and drove us forward, a lot of nice touches, fully expect him to be playing every week this season based on what I’ve seen so far.
Kyle Magennis is also starting to look like there’s a real player there too which is nice to see, he was good tonight aswell.

Why are you comparing him to Gogic ? I couldn't think of two more different style of players to be honest. He had great games and poor games for us, most of the great games came at this time last season too coincidentally. Kyle has always shown flashes that make you think there us a player there then another injury hits.

Possibly because he’s a midfielder that sits deep, he was marketed to us basically as someone to provide competition with Gogic but I think it’ll be more that he just plays ahead of him.

Although if others are saying above he has issues seeing out contracts we may regret only giving him two years.

Magennis pretty much looked shite until this season but he’s really stepped it up, hopefully he stays fit.

Doyle-Hayes was a far better player than St Mirren fans saw, your manager just had no idea how to get the best out of him.

Is St Mirrens midfield weaker for having Power there instead of JDH?

Yes.

Be interesting to see how you replace McGrath, he'll be gone by the end of the next week.

3 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Magennis pretty much looked shite until this season but he’s really stepped it up, hopefully he stays fit.

Bear in mind that he went straight from a year out with a cruciate ligament injury, into Hibs' first team. His last game for us was at Ibrox where he got carted off.

There was always going to be a bedding in period with him.

Doyle-Hayes was a far better player than St Mirren fans saw, your manager just had no idea how to get the best out of him.
Yes.
Be interesting to see how you replace McGrath, he'll be gone by the end of the next week.

Must be great to be an expert in absolutely everything

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes.

To be fair, there's been very little wrong with our inbound transfer activity over the past couple of years so yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens. I've only seen a game and a bit so far so far this season but I'm not yet convinced that Kiltie is the ready-made replacement some of us hoped/assumed he might be. Though perhaps he just needs McGrath not to be in the same team in order to flourish.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 minute ago, Biscuits said:

Must be great to be an expert in absolutely everything

I've been going on about Doyle-Hayes before you even signed him m8. 

Just now, FTOF said:

One name.

O'Halloran.:lol:

O'Halloran was has 3 cup medals in his back pocket and just played most of the match as we drew with Galatasaray 😂

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes.

On the face of it so far?

Not really. Erhahon sitting in just behind Power seems to be working. However, it's early days.

Also notice from the DR that Middleton is on his way to you.

A pity that many of your support have spent the last couple of weeks writing him off as a bit part player. Imagine meeting the blue bigots apparently massive loan signing fee for a bit part player.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I've been going on about Doyle-Hayes before you even signed him m8. 

O'Halloran was has 3 cup medals in his back pocket and just played most of the match as we drew with Galatasaray 😂

It wasn't O'Halloran that made a complete arse of himself on here though. Was it?

But then, you knew that.;)

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

A pity that many of your support have spent the last couple of weeks writing him off as a bit part player. Imagine meeting the blue bigots apparently massive loan signing fee for a bit part player.

We've not paid nearly as much as they wanted, the player simply refused other other offers and chose us.

Unlucky.

We've not paid nearly as much as they wanted, the player simply refused other other offers and chose us.
Unlucky.

Yet again - absolute fountain of knowledge on everything that happens in Scottish football. Was only last week Middleton was shite and the farmers didn’t want or need him.

Just now, Biscuits said:

Yet again - absolute fountain of knowledge on everything that happens in Scottish football. 

Yeah mate, it's Scott Burns who's reporting he rejected other Scottish clubs as he wanted to rejoin us.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No, he stopped playing because he wanted more money. It's really as simple as that.

As I said earlier the idea that a player suddenly "stops being good" because he's asked to play slightly differently to what he wants is daft, either that or he wasn't that good to begin with. It's not like Goodwin played him in defence or out on the wing.

St Mirren got cold feet about Middleton when the news came through that the Scottish Government are wanting quarterly reports on how their loan money has been spent. 

Hence why they are desperately trying to offload McGrath this week to try and cover their tracks. 

Someone really should have explained to "Fitzy" that it wasn't just free money. 

Edited by Radford

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

St Mirren got cold feet about Middleton when the news came through that the Scottish Government are wanting quarterly reports on how their loan money has been spent. 

Hence why they are desperately trying to offload McGrath this week to try and cover their tracks. 

Someone really should have explained to "Fitzy" that it wasn't just free money. 

:lol: