The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, RiG said:

We've confirmed the signing of Jamieson. Season long loan. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

That's a great move for him. I think upper-tier Championship sides is definitely the ideal destination for loan players. Hopefully Clyde>ICT shows his career's heading in the right direction.

Will be watching with interest.

52 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Isn't that where Fraser played the vast majority of his games last season, and did so very well? I happen to think the right-hand slot of the three suits him down to the ground.

I just think that McCarthy is a far better defender.

I'd rather see Fraser in a a wing back role as I think he offers a lot going forward, whilst being more solid defensively that most wing backs.

Anyway I'm probably wrong, McCarthy will be off and our back three will be Fraser/Shaughnessy/Dunne (if he stays fit).

Jamieson is one of those youth players that you're never really sure of. They don't tend to force their way into the first team and the only reports we get are from pre-season when he might get a game or the early rounds of the League Cup. He seems to have done a decent job at Clyde so the next natural step will be somewhere like Caley. You feel that should he do well enough on loan but still not enough to break into the first team, that he'll end up there as a permanent signing.

I'm sure he sees Henderson getting a loan (interestingly to Clyde too) then breaking into the first team. The main problem for Jamieson is that while we can always find more room for midfielders, the opportunities for strikers are considerably more rare and with Erwin, Dennis, Brophy, Main and Jack* ahead of him in the pecking order it's probably best he nips off for another loan.

* I'd actually forgotten about Jack, I didn't even notice if he featured in the friendlies.

31 minutes ago, RiG said:

We've confirmed the signing of Jamieson. Season long loan. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

That'll be a good move for him provided he gets a run of games. They've got McKay, Duku, Sutherland and another couple of boys who can play up front. 

Edited to include: working with Billy Dodds could be good for a young striker's development. 

Edited by houston_bud

18 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Challenge  Cup

St. Mirren B v Kelty Hearts Tuesday 10th August, SMP 1945 ko.

That is the wildest fixture I've seen and something I'd have died laughing at being suggested even 10 years ago.