The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread

Rotherham's bid of £100k for McCarthy is far more derisory than Wigan's opening gambit for McGrath. 

You get that Wigan have chanced it by starting low to test the water and will most likely come come again but Rotherham have just gone back to previous form and decided to cheapskate it, the c***s.

To my mind , I think JG is already resigned to losing McCarthy , he's not going to be a starter every week anyway. If we could get 700k for McGrath I would take that too !

5 minutes ago, billyg said:

To my mind , I think JG is already resigned to losing McCarthy , he's not going to be a starter every week anyway. If we could get 700k for McGrath I would take that too !

I think £300-400k for Mccarthy and £750k for McGrath is pretty fair.

McCarthy would be a hard one to replace. I'd like us to make a tilt for Sean McLoughlin again who is struggling for game time at Hull. Perhaps permanently.

25 minutes ago, billyg said:

I don't see where you get we are losing  McCarthy.  I doubt we are looking at moving him on. He is a quality player and I bet still a key squad member. 

McCarthy is going on to have a fine career, I'm sure he can easily go on to cut it as a centre half for Ireland in future. I'd have him starting every game. The Irish contingent is getting absolutely decimated this summer. Both the players and the club have done a turn for each other over the 18 months they've been here (so far, possibly).  

1 hour ago, billyg said:

I think our back three will be McCarthy, Shaughnessy and Dunne.

I suppose we'll see on Sunday.

McCarthy is a far better CH than Fraser all day long IMO.

According to the sun article it says we want £500k for McGrath and £200k for McCarthy. It’s obvious both won’t be signing now contracts, would like to have got closer to the million for both but hopefully Jim has some replacements in mind 

9 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

According to the sun article it says we want £500k for McGrath and £200k for McCarthy. It’s obvious both won’t be signing now contracts, would like to have got closer to the million for both but hopefully Jim has some replacements in mind 

I think it's all about the sell-on clauses for us now. We can make far more that way, if we're clever about it. It is, of course, a gamble, but there's probably not much else we can do. Jim has also suggested he's made personal promises to these lads about allowing them to go when the time's right.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I think £300-400k for Mccarthy and £750k for McGrath is pretty fair.

McCarthy would be a hard one to replace. I'd like us to make a tilt for Sean McLoughlin again who is struggling for game time at Hull. Perhaps permanently.

Cant see it as we will need a right sided defender with Dunne on left. Sean was left sided. I’d think McCarthy would be a starter though. 

• djchapsticks changed the title to The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread