The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

St Mirren will have been sold to McGrath and McCarthy as a stepping stone to England. Now that English clubs are coming in with offers....

They're both into the last year of their contracts. If we can get somewhere around £700K + add-ons just now, for 2 guys signed as unknowns the beginning of last year, then I think that would be very good business for the club. 

20 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

St Mirren will have been sold to McGrath and McCarthy as a stepping stone to England. Now that English clubs are coming in with offers....

They're both into the last year of their contracts. If we can get somewhere around £700K + add-ons just now, for 2 guys signed as unknowns the beginning of last year, then I think that would be very good business for the club. 

It also helps with future signings, when you can show the potential for moving to a bigger club in signing for us and continuing your development with the club.

The downside is that we're out of synch with the League of Ireland, and we tend to need to wit till Jan to sign players from there. Plus, as we found with McGrath, there's no way of knowing if they'll need a bit of time to settle in.

I'm not saying that's the only possible market for players, and we certainly won't be the only team looking there, especially now. But in terms of finding replacements for these guys, that'd be where I would expect we're starting to look.

Can't help but I feel I cursed this with my big talk about us running with two full/competitive XIs this season 😬

8 hours ago, Lex said:

As with every other club in Scotland, all of our players are for sale.
If a club wants to pay the right price for any of our players they will be off.
Just need to make sure we get that right price.
Nothing new here, of course. The same was true 50 years ago and the same will be true 50 years from now.

Wasn’t really the same forty or fifty years ago back in the day. It’s the scale of it, and the time good players stick at ‘lesser’ clubs these days that galls. (Galls as a fan of a ‘lesser’ team). Look at sides such as our Fergie’s Furies, Jim McLean’s Arabs, or Fergie’s Aberdeen sides. These days, the prospect of assembling, and keeping, a side containing the likes of Miller, McLeish, Strachan, or Narey, Hegarty, Sturrock & Co is zero. Absolute zero. Now they’d be off after shining in ten games. With Covid now fcuking things up even more, it’s entirely possible that St Mirren sign, then sell, good players that I never even see play once in the flesh. At least when we sold a McGarvey, Fitzy, McAvennie, or Clarke, I got to enjoy their skills for a good while.

I blame Bosman. Or Souness & David Murray. On balance, let’s blame them. Fcukers.

Edited by pozbaird

9 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

200k is an insult. So much for the utter tripe spouted by our vice chairman about nobody leaving on the cheap. 

We’ll see on the £200k. However, we are talking about a club that can’t run a ‘fair’ ticketing scheme for the cup games - literally a 5 minute job on excel.

15 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

McGrath is easily a £750+ player. Anything upward of £300k for McCarthy would probably be fair.

Not sure what Wigan's finances are like. The Sun article suggested there was another team looking at him. 

I'd be surprised if League One was the best he could do - he's at the very least a lower-end Championship player. However, if we can include a sell-in fee, then him going to L1 first might be best for us as there's more chance of a Champ teams spending money on him after a season in L1.

Lewis Jamieson - talk to me. I know he had a decent wee loan spell at Clyde last season. The rumour mill has us taking him on loan to help pad out the squad as Dodds shifts to playing two up front and we only have Mckay and Duku there with the former being injured at the moment.

12 hours ago, FTOF said:

I think our back three will be McCarthy, Shaughnessy and Dunne.

I suppose we'll see on Sunday.

McCarthy is a far better CH than Fraser all day long IMO.

It's all about opinions , but I thought McCarthy was poor during the 2nd half of last season. He was caught dithering a good few times and is guilty of being caught on the wrong side of his man. eg the late equaliser at Hamilton which cost us top 6 . 

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

Lewis Jamieson - talk to me. I know he had a decent wee loan spell at Clyde last season. The rumour mill has us taking him on loan to help pad out the squad as Dodds shifts to playing two up front and we only have Mckay and Duku there with the former being injured at the moment.

Highly rated and appears to have done well at Clyde. Not really seen much of him in a Saints shirt to comment, but has had a good reputation coming through the various youth levels. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

The downside is that we're out of synch with the League of Ireland, and we tend to need to wit till Jan to sign players from there. Plus, as we found with McGrath, there's no way of knowing if they'll need a bit of time to settle in.

I'm not saying that's the only possible market for players, and we certainly won't be the only team looking there, especially now. But in terms of finding replacements for these guys, that'd be where I would expect we're starting to look.

Can't help but I feel I cursed this with my big talk about us running with two full/competitive XIs this season 😬

I think with Brexit though, our market has shrunk considerably. There aren't going to be many Durmus, Popescu or Hladky signings now as they will not get a work permit, however I believe ROI is exempt and so that is going to become an important market. It's going to mean a lot of lower league English teams turning to Scotland as well. Probably means we can start looking o get a bit more money for our players (by "we" I mean all clubs in Scotland) but the market for bargains is shrinking.

33 minutes ago, billyg said:

It's all about opinions , but I thought McCarthy was poor during the 2nd half of last season. He was caught dithering a good few times and is guilty of being caught on the wrong side of his man. eg the late equaliser at Hamilton which cost us top 6 . 

He's definitely not without fault, but he's still a better option at CH than Fraser IMO. He's far stronger in the air for starters.

If he goes and we sign a like for like replacement, then fair enough.

However, putting either Fraser or Finlayson in there long term would worry me.

29 minutes ago, GAD said:

There aren't going to be many Durmus, Popescu or Hladky signings now as they will not get a work permit...

Not for us provincial clubs, the OF and the financially opulent English leagues will cope without issue. Then again, that just underlines Brexit, a system set up to benefit a select few while absolutely fucking everyone else over.

35 minutes ago, FTOF said:

However, putting either Fraser or Finlayson in there long term would worry me.

Isn't that where Fraser played the vast majority of his games last season, and did so very well? I happen to think the right-hand slot of the three suits him down to the ground.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not sure what Wigan's finances are like. The Sun article suggested there was another team looking at him. 

I'd be surprised if League One was the best he could do - he's at the very least a lower-end Championship player. However, if we can include a sell-in fee, then him going to L1 first might be best for us as there's more chance of a Champ teams spending money on him after a season in L1.

That's one of the concerns for me. Wigan have been a basket case for the last few years. If we sold him to them, or a club with a similar shitty financial past, there's no guarantee we'd see all of whatever fee was agreed. Bigger transfer fees are usually paid in instalments these days rather than up front so regardless of how much our players go for, we need to be pretty sure we're going to get our money.

Goodwin mentioned in one of his interviews the other day McGrath was in the process of changing agents so no surprise stories like this are appearing now. Wouldn't surprise me if McCarthy is changing too.

EDIT: Quote on McGrath from this week: “He isn’t kicking my door down in to ask for a move and he’s in a situation himself with his representatives, moving from one agency to another which all takes time."

Edited by Stu

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Goodwin mentioned in one of his interviews the other day McGrath was in the process of changing agents so no surprise stories like this are appearing now. Wouldn't surprise me if McCarthy is changing too.

Aw, FFS. Yeah, what's the only thing a new agent can do to impress his new client? Tout him around the press. Hopefully the Wigan talk is just a random jobber club he's pulled out the air to get things moving.

Got to say, I'd prefer either McGrath or McCarthy to go down South, there's obviously the "I'd rather they didn't come back and haunt us" line, but ultimately it's because I don't want us to be seen as a lower 'stepping stone'. For example, McGinn  St Mirren -> Hibs -> Villa. Granted it was a free transfer but I would prefer to see him go to Villa direct and not have a year or so in Edinburgh where he left pretty much as developed as when he arrived yet they get the big bucks from selling him (sure we got a cut, but not the main slice).

1 hour ago, RiG said:

We've confirmed the signing of Jamieson. Season long loan. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.