The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, billyg said:

To my mind , I think JG is already resigned to losing McCarthy , he's not going to be a starter every week anyway. If we could get 700k for McGrath I would take that too !

I think £300-400k for Mccarthy and £750k for McGrath is pretty fair.

McCarthy would be a hard one to replace. I'd like us to make a tilt for Sean McLoughlin again who is struggling for game time at Hull. Perhaps permanently.

25 minutes ago, billyg said:

To my mind , I think JG is already resigned to losing McCarthy , he's not going to be a starter every week anyway. If we could get 700k for McGrath I would take that too !

I don't see where you get we are losing  McCarthy.  I doubt we are looking at moving him on. He is a quality player and I bet still a key squad member. 

McCarthy is going on to have a fine career, I'm sure he can easily go on to cut it as a centre half for Ireland in future. I'd have him starting every game. The Irish contingent is getting absolutely decimated this summer. Both the players and the club have done a turn for each other over the 18 months they've been here (so far, possibly).  

1 hour ago, billyg said:

I think our back three will be McCarthy, Shaughnessy and Dunne.

I suppose we'll see on Sunday.

McCarthy is a far better CH than Fraser all day long IMO.

According to the sun article it says we want £500k for McGrath and £200k for McCarthy. It’s obvious both won’t be signing now contracts, would like to have got closer to the million for both but hopefully Jim has some replacements in mind 

9 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

According to the sun article it says we want £500k for McGrath and £200k for McCarthy. It’s obvious both won’t be signing now contracts, would like to have got closer to the million for both but hopefully Jim has some replacements in mind 

I think it's all about the sell-on clauses for us now. We can make far more that way, if we're clever about it. It is, of course, a gamble, but there's probably not much else we can do. Jim has also suggested he's made personal promises to these lads about allowing them to go when the time's right.

I understand contract issues etc., but it'll be fucking wild if Rotherham manage to sign McCarthy and Rooney combined for £500k, if all quoted asking prices are correct.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I think £300-400k for Mccarthy and £750k for McGrath is pretty fair.

McCarthy would be a hard one to replace. I'd like us to make a tilt for Sean McLoughlin again who is struggling for game time at Hull. Perhaps permanently.

Cant see it as we will need a right sided defender with Dunne on left. Sean was left sided. I’d think McCarthy would be a starter though. 

If we were to lose McCarthy, McGrath and Erhahon before the season started then that would be a serious blow to be honest and leave us severely weakened in key areas and we will struggle to replace them with better, especially Erhahon, who unsurprisingly is the one linked with the team in the championship rather than league one.

However, this is the strategy isn't it? The more of these guys we get through for a couple of seasons before making a step up (financially at least), or the more academy players that move on to bigger clubs, the more attractive an option it makes us for similarly ambitious young players.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

If we were to lose McCarthy, McGrath and Erhahon before the season started then that would be a serious blow to be honest and leave us severely weakened in key areas and we will struggle to replace them with better, especially Erhahon, who unsurprisingly is the one linked with the team in the championship rather than league one.

However, this is the strategy isn't it? The more of these guys we get through for a couple of seasons before making a step up (financially at least), or the more academy players that move on to bigger clubs, the more attractive an option it makes us for similarly ambitious young players.

Yup, there are 5 players linked with leaving us recently. Erwin, Erhahon, McAllister, McGrath and McCarthy.

We should currently be accepting of losing 2 of them tops. There is still 6 weeks of the window remaining and dependent on where we are in 4 weeks from now in terms of replacements, we can then look at any other outward movement.

As with every other club in Scotland, all of our players are for sale.
If a club wants to pay the right price for any of our players they will be off.
Just need to make sure we get that right price.
Nothing new here, of course. The same was true 50 years ago and the same will be true 50 years from now.

10 minutes ago, Lex said:

As with every other club in Scotland, all of our players are for sale.
At the right price.
If a club wants to pay the right price for any of our players they will be off.
Just need to make sure we get that right price.
Nothing new here, of course. The same was true 50 years ago and the same will be true 50 years from now.

No one is arguing with that, what is risible is, for example,  the club selling McLean to Aberdeen for £150k.

In my now 40+ years of supporting the club the absolute worst deal, by a stupendous amount, was selling Lambert to Motherwell. Just over a year before we knocked back a £500k bid by DU and when he did go it was for £50k plus Jim Gardner.