The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'm not sure I'm overly keen in Goodwin telegraphing what our main game plan will be. Perhaps he's not, perhaps it's all a cunning ruse and we're going route 1 from the first whistle.

To be fair, if you watched the Dunfermline game, there was no question as to what our main tactic was.

15 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Get the ball wide and sling in cross after cross for our strikers.  I wonder how long it will take opposing managers to work that out and nullify our game plan?

Look at our home form last season and you'll see the issue with trying a crossing game at this level.

Look at our home form last season and you'll see the issue with trying a crossing game at this level.
Would it have made a difference if you had someone like Main up front? I know Motherwell played under his strengths, not sure Aberdeen did.

Interesting to see how it goes for us. Most teams work out everyone's game plan after a few weeks anyway. It's whether or not they can prevent it being effective or stamp their own quality in the match.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:
2 hours ago, Widge said:
Now I’m curious as to what St Mirren fans think of that. Surely Brophy is first choice striker and he’s hardly going to be happy with balls being crossed into him. Then you’re relying on Main winning the ball in the air and he’s neither a great target man or a goal scorer. So it begs the question of why you let Obika go, since surely that tactic would suit him?

Obika could't win a header to save himself.

Admittedly it's the only example.

29 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Would it have made a difference if you had someone like Main up front?

Is Main more clinical than Kane?

If your whole plan is crossing, teams learn and just pack the box. You then respond by putting more bodies in the box, and you're left wide open for counters.

It only works if you've a clinical as f**k front man, or genuinely elite players who can break down packed defences. We were lucky to have Wotherspoon who could create things, and then Rooney who dominated in the box, but even then a lot of our home goals came from countering ourselves. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It only works if you've a clinical as f**k front man, or genuinely elite players who can break down packed defences. We were lucky to have Wotherspoon who could create things, and then Rooney who dominated in the box, but even then a lot of our home goals came from countering ourselves. 

Kristian Dennis could yet be that man. I can picture him feeding off scraps in the box, either from knockdowns or poor clearances, etc. What worries me is that he appears, for now, to be third choice. You certainly don't pay Brophy 17k a week to sit on the bench. I'm near certain Jim will have seen the way you guys played last season and will be looking to replicate, but I agree, a lot of that was built on the strength of your wingbacks going forwards. There's nobody else quite like Rooney, for sure.

As for people's concerns about teams 'figuring us out', I personally wouldn't worry too much about that - I scraped that post further up this page together without seeing us play this season. When you include the fact we've recruited 'known factors' at this level, the element of surprise has basically all gone anyway. I think we're going to set our stall out and see if opposing teams can contend with it. I think I'm ok with this, as long as there's a plan B.

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Kristian Dennis could yet be that man. I can picture him feeding off scraps in the box, either from knockdowns or poor clearances, etc. What worries me is that he appears, for now, to be third choice.

He reminds me of Melamed, tbh. Useful in the box, will shoot first time almost every time and scores quite well, but something missing from his game. 

I know how this post will go down, but it genuinely looks like Goodwin is just trying to copy us from last season. Main is your aerial workhorse like Kane, Brophy is your hard worker who likes long range shots like May. You've then got Kiltie as an attempt to replicate Wotherspoon, while Tanser was obviously ours last season. We crossed more than every side outwith the OF last season, and Goodwin wants to go down that route, and presumably you'll sign a pacey winger to be your MOH. Set up will be 3-5-2 or 3-4-3.

Interesting to see if that ends up being the case and how it goes, took us a long time to get it working.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Go f**k yourself.

Was that pretty much what you expected?

Yeah I expected the dullards in your support to take it to heart tbh, it was just an observation at how similar the teams are I terms of "profile".

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

but it genuinely looks like Goodwin is just trying to copy us from last season.

I don't there's any doubt about that at all, tbh.

17 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Go f**k yourself.

Was that pretty much what you expected?

😂

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He reminds me of Melamed, tbh. Useful in the box, will shoot first time almost every time and scores quite well, but something missing from his game. 

I know how this post will go down, but it genuinely looks like Goodwin is just trying to copy us from last season. Main is your aerial workhorse like Kane, Brophy is your hard worker who likes long range shots like May. You've then got Kiltie as an attempt to replicate Wotherspoon, while Tanser was obviously ours last season. We crossed more than every side outwith the OF last season, and Goodwin wants to go down that route, and presumably you'll sign a pacey winger to be your MOH. Set up will be 3-5-2 or 3-4-3.

Interesting to see if that ends up being the case and how it goes, took us a long time to get it working.

Why would we copy you lot, ffs? Surely our ambitions are higher than a top 6 finish, a Scottish cup win and a League cup win?

Is Main more clinical than Kane?
If your whole plan is crossing, teams learn and just pack the box. You then respond by putting more bodies in the box, and you're left wide open for counters.
Depends, is Kane playing against us [emoji23].

42 goals in 168 appearances would suggest Main isn't clinical or prolific.

I am hoping for Main, Brophy and Dennis to chip in between 5-10 goals each, realistic or fantasy? Probably fantasy but we'll see.

Would be surprised if any of them manage 10 goals+ but will happily eat my words if it happens.

12 minutes ago, AllyM said:

Why would we copy you lot, ffs? Surely our ambitions are higher than a top 6 finish, a Scottish cup win and a League cup win?

I suppose if you wait long enough (1 cup aside), you're eventually rewarded. 

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I am hoping for Main, Brophy and Dennis to chip in between 5-10 goals each, realistic or fantasy? 

Be interesting to know the last, non-OF, side who had 3 strikers all score 5+ league goals tbh, genuinely have no idea how common that is.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Be interesting to know the last, non-OF, side who had 3 strikers all score 5+ league goals tbh, genuinely have no idea how common that is.

Was it Hibs, way back in 2020-2021? Depends how you define "strikers".