The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

44 minutes ago, FTOF said:

So much opinion passed off as fact.:lol:

*O'Halloran's new contract.;)

O'Halloran took a wage cut in exchange for a longer deal, same as May.

38 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Why?

Because we've not been able to use any of the Conference suites for the past 18 months, plus lost out on hiring the astro and car park out. Our chairman claims we've lost out on around £2m worth of income so far.

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Missing out on income isn't the same as losing money.

What?

I'm saying the club have a plan for every season financially and "non footballing" income is a part of that. 

The loan money will have been used as a substitute for it, so we can continue operating normally and not have to scale way back.

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

And?

You'll not be paying him peanuts.

I never said we would? The wages we paid out in Tommy Wrights final years were stupid, but his will now be in line with what he actually deserves. The idea we've handed him an increase is wild considering how many players leave us after trying to get one as they get laughed out the door.

3 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I wonder what's happened to the £4 million that St Johnstone had in the bank ?

It's still there.

It's not money that's intended to be spent on the team unless it's a "break the glass" emergency. It's there to protect us incase of any TV deal collapse (Setanta), relegation (allow a "free" go at getting promoted with a high budget until its scaled back), or if the Brown's leave and fan ownership comes in. It won't be used to pay for players getting increased wages while we're in the top flight.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's still there.

It's not money that's intended to be spent on the team unless it's a "break the glass" emergency. It's there to protect us incase of any TV deal collapse (Setanta), relegation (allow a "free" go at getting promoted with a high budget until its scaled back), or if the Brown's leave and fan ownership comes in. It won't be used to pay for players getting increased wages while we're in the top flight.

I would need to see proof of the 4 million sitting in a bank account doing nothing to believe it. Especially when your chairman in recent years said pouring money into the club was not sustainable that cuts would need to be made. 

27 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

I would need to see proof of the 4 million sitting in a bank account doing nothing to believe it. Especially when your chairman in recent years said pouring money into the club was not sustainable that cuts would need to be made. 

Its not £4m, last accounts showed it at just over £2m.

Yes, Steve Brown moaned that it wouldn't be sustainable to have a top 6 budget if we didn't finish top 6, which we then did. 

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its not £4m, last accounts showed it at just over £2m.

Yes, Steve Brown moaned that it wouldn't be sustainable to have a top 6 budget if we didn't finish top 6, which we then did. 

The cash at bank in your accounts as of May 20 was £2.8m up from £2.1m in 2019. (£2,843,652 vs £2,170,123 if we're being specific)

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

The cash at bank in your accounts as of May 20 was £2.8m up from £2.1m in 2019. (£2,843,652 vs £2,170,123 if we're being specific)

Yeah but since then we've chucked £800k at O'Halloran to fend off St Mirren.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah but since then we've chucked £800k at O'Halloran to fend off St Mirren.

That would seem excessive for a player that is, and I quote "finished now he's lost half a yard of pace".:lol:

Not big on the 'you borrowed more than us so are more skint than us' narrative.

I mean taking a loan without a penny of interest over a 20 year repayment period is a complete no-brainer for clubs of our size. That money is significant for us and St. Johnstone and the repayments are almost negligible so it's good sense to take the money as a contingency.

10 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Panic Merchant Alert 🚨 

Should we be concerned Charlie Dunne was replaced after 46 minutes yesterday?

Wouldn't say so, 46 mins usually indicates a half-time change where he's not come back out rather than 2nd half kicking off and then he went off. He played the full 90 on Tuesday and presumably will do so again this Tuesday. I would say it's sensible not to overload the guy with 3 games in a week after no 90 minutes in past two years.

On 15/07/2021 at 11:30, oaksoft said:

Do you think we'll struggle to score goals this season?

On 15/07/2021 at 11:44, Coventry Saint said:

I think there'll be an improvement vs last season, but not a huge one. We'll be hard to beat and fairly direct. Lots of whipped balls in from wide. I think Main and Brophy have points to prove and we can but hope they form a decent partnership. At least Dennis is a decent option as backup, with the potential to start regularly if the others aren't firing.

Turns out that may well be the plan after all:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/jim-goodwin-delighted-new-st-24564312

“Getting the ball wide is something that we’ve worked on in the second half of last season and carried on into our pre-season.

“We want to work the ball wide to get crosses into the box. Against Dunfermline we had about 30 crosses in, the second half in particular with some real quality coming in from either side from Tanser and Henderson.

“I think the goals will come. I’ve absolutely no doubt in my mind the quality we’ve got within the whole group, not just the team that started against Dunfermline."

Edited by Coventry Saint

Now I’m curious as to what St Mirren fans think of that. Surely Brophy is first choice striker and he’s hardly going to be happy with balls being crossed into him. Then you’re relying on Main winning the ball in the air and he’s neither a great target man or a goal scorer. So it begs the question of why you let Obika go, since surely that tactic would suit him?

Now I’m curious as to what St Mirren fans think of that. Surely Brophy is first choice striker and he’s hardly going to be happy with balls being crossed into him. Then you’re relying on Main winning the ball in the air and he’s neither a great target man or a goal scorer. So it begs the question of why you let Obika go, since surely that tactic would suit him?
Obika could't win a header to save himself.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

I am not confident in our strikers and fear its the one area we lack over all quality. If this is our tactic then we need a Kevin Kyle type of striker. 

41 minutes ago, Widge said:

Brophy scored two against Linfield from balls crossed into the box.

One was a header where he cut in from the edge of the box. The cross was from Tanser.

Main has already scored a header from Kiltie's cross into the box against Dunfermline.

As others have mentioned heading the ball wasn't Obika's strong point.

I'm not sure I'm overly keen in Goodwin telegraphing what our main game plan will be. Perhaps he's not, perhaps it's all a cunning ruse and we're going route 1 from the first whistle.