The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

45 minutes ago, Ric said:

You can check back through this thread and you'll see that I was never "wow'ed" by JDH, decent yes... but not to the level others seem to have praised him. Useful to have in the squad and I'm sure he'll improve over the years, but certainly not worth breaking any wage structure.

A lot of the credit he had in people's eyes was owing to the way his arrival sparked our season into gear. Beyond that initial spell, he was quite disappointing. 

I don't believe the offer should still have been on the table from us. We should have given him a hard deadline of a week after the end of the season and withdrawn it at that point, at least to retain a semblance of control.

Edit to add the mitigating factor of his injury around Xmas time, from which he didn't make it back for the semi final defeat to LIvi. Was he even the same player in any games after coming back? Arguably not.

Edited by Coventry Saint

I will be interested to see the length of contract JDH signs at Utd, in terms of six months or a year. The fact that his agent has previous for dicking clubs about would suggest that it won’t be long before he’s doing similar at tannadice.

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I don't believe the offer should still have been on the table from us. We should have given him a hard deadline of a week after the end of the season and withdrawn it at that point, at least to retain a semblance of control.

I don't think it's hampered us up until this point, nippy yes, but as we've seen it's not stopped Goodwin bringing other players in. Looking at it (with absolutely zero ITK) I'd suggest Goodwin targetted those he brought in long before the window opened (after all, he'd have scouted both Power and Kiltie when he was watching Brophy before he moved to us - and I have no doubt Tait would have chipped in about Dunne).

We should have taken the offer back off the table sooner though, imo.

28 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Hibs have knocked back 2.5 million bid from Watford for Josh Doig . Impressive Hibs did not jump in and bite their hand off for the cash. 

Why would they there going to get millions for someone who doesn't play for them anymore.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

I don't think it's hampered us up until this point, nippy yes, but as we've seen it's not stopped Goodwin bringing other players in. Looking at it (with absolutely zero ITK) I'd suggest Goodwin targetted those he brought in long before the window opened (after all, he'd have scouted both Power and Kiltie when he was watching Brophy before he moved to us - and I have no doubt Tait would have chipped in about Dunne).

Yeah, agree, I don't think it's affected anything. I rather hope that if it was holding us back, we'd have acted sooner. I more meant from a face-saving point of view: always better to do the dumping, IMO. 

14 minutes ago, btb said:

JDH - 24 games, how many posts on this thread?

If over the top posting and hysterical reactions are your thing, then Black & White Army does it better than anywhere else.😉

Edited by glenburn bud

1 hour ago, Ric said:

It's possibly JDH-related that Power came in later than Kiltie, Tanser, Main and Dunne. The club had maybe got to the point of moving on so diverted the money to Power. Could be that what was eventually on the table for Jake wasn't quite the same as back in January.

I’m probably talking rubbish here but could us not withdrawing the contract offer be down to looking to get a development fee? No matter how small it would be for the few months he was with us?

I don’t have the knowledge or enthusiasm to go research this but I’m sure someone will. 

Posting with little knowledge or facts seems to be the go to position here, so I’m just trying to fit in. 

Minor complaint but has the club’s communication team gone on holiday? No mention of players leaving (ex. Connolly), no mention of a tour, just a bit odd as it’s something that had been pretty well done prior to this.

Minor complaint but has the club’s communication team gone on holiday? No mention of players leaving (ex. Connolly), no mention of a tour, just a bit odd as it’s something that had been pretty well done prior to this.
Probably avoided mentioning the tour to avoid fans travelling over?

4 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

It's possibly JDH-related that Power came in later than Kiltie, Tanser, Main and Dunne. The club had maybe got to the point of moving on so diverted the money to Power. Could be that what was eventually on the table for Jake wasn't quite the same as back in January.

That might very well be the case, although I'd guess Power is a much cheaper option, not least as he's only on a year's contract, to the point he would have come to us whether JDH stayed or not.

21 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Fed up hearing about JDH. Can we have some more player coming in news

No...

...you will get Goodwin's "random European player lucky dip" and be happy with it!

We've had Chabbi, we've had Quaner, what will the fickle fate of the footballing Gods bring our way this time?

No...
...you will get Goodwin's "random European player lucky dip" and be happy with it!
We've had Chabbi, we've had Quaner, what will the fickle fate of the footballing Gods bring our way this time?

Hopefully another Durmus, he was brilliant.