The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

28 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Baccus wanted by Blackpool apparently

This might be true. Though there is a hotel Baccus there too - the only link is the name as far as I know

Edited by medals

47 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Half the time i thought he was distracted by the planes coming into land.

The amount of back post headers he lost at the away end of the ground, I think you’ve found the reason! 

19 minutes ago, elvis said:

Where are you seeing this.

Reported by the Record but it's one of those stupid articles where you have to scroll for miles to find the bit they've actually tweeted about.

This is the only relevant text and they've managed to spell the word 'Record' wrong so I'm not believing it.

Screenshot_20230607-193243.png

Edited by Coventry Saint

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Reported by the Record but it's one of those stupid articles where you have to scroll for miles to find the bit they've actually tweeted about.

This is the only relevant text and they've managed to spell the word 'Record' wrong so I'm not believing it.

Three typos in three short paragraphs.

That is impressive even for a publication as shite as the Record.

22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

They also misspelled seven in the same paragraph

Six figures?! 

A relatively young, technically great midfielder with a decent amount of time left on his contract who appeared started the last 16 of the World Cup. 

If we aren't holding out for £1m+ then we're off our fuckin nut.

27 minutes ago, jm1 said:

Six figures?! 

A relatively young, technically great midfielder with a decent amount of time left on his contract who appeared started the last 16 of the World Cup. 

We will be off our fucking nuts then.

31 minutes ago, jm1 said:

Six figures?! 

Some English team will offer 400k and tell Baccus his wage will be quadrupled.  Baccus will tell the club he wants to go, fair play to him. Move on. 

2 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Some English team will offer 400k and tell Baccus his wage will be quadrupled.  Baccus will tell the club he wants to go, fair play to him. Move on. 

We have all scene this movie way too many times

1 hour ago, btb said:

Don't worry we'll replace him with another bombscare!

sad winnie the pooh GIF

Indeed. You never appreciate how good someone is until they are replaced 

I’m hopeful that Taylor is going to be a star but realistic to know that he’ll be a boo boy target regardless 

FWIW, I think Dunne has been excellent 

I am positive that the Record creates its stories using a "mad-lib" system. They are so poorly written and so pointlessly contrived, especially with an eye on the OF that I have considerable problems believing 'educated journalists' are responsible for the output.

As for Baccus, considering the plaudits he got domestically and the international recognition during the World Cup, it would be a shitty agent who didn't try to maximise that. Hell, throw Postecoglou into the mix as raising the awareness of Aussies in general and I'm sure an agent can spin any sorts of nonsense in an attempt to get big money (primarily for them, but for their client too).

I'd not be surprised if he moved on, although I'd love him to stay. Sadly I've got a feeling that a fairly high 6 figure will see him move on, but only if it's coupled with a ton of addons.

Edited by Ric

11 hours ago, Ric said:

I am positive that the Record creates its stories using a "mad-lib" system. They are so poorly written and so pointlessly contrived, especially with an eye on the OF that I have considerable problems believing 'educated journalists' are responsible for the output.

As for Baccus, considering the plaudits he got domestically and the international recognition during the World Cup, it would be a shitty agent who didn't try to maximise that. Hell, throw Postecoglou into the mix as raising the awareness of Aussies in general and I'm sure an agent can spin any sorts of nonsense in an attempt to get big money (primarily for them, but for their client too).

I'd not be surprised if he moved on, although I'd love him to stay. Sadly I've got a feeling that a fairly high 6 figure will see him move on, but only if it's coupled with a ton of addons.

Image result for monkey journalists

9 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Baccus will not go for £1million. Mental to suggest he would.

I don't think there's anything to suggest he can't go for high six figures plus add ons. We need to realise he only has a year left though.

13 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Indeed. You never appreciate how good someone is until they are replaced 

I’m hopeful that Taylor is going to be a star but realistic to know that he’ll be a boo boy target regardless 

FWIW, I think Dunne has been excellent 

Dunne has been excellent for us. When he first signed I was really concerned with his injury record.

He has moments in games when he loses the plot a bit, if he didn't make they mistakes he wouldn't have been playing for a club like ours anyway, he'd be at a higher level. Thankfully for us Taylor found his feet near the end of the season, so it softens the blow.

If United sign Dunne they obviously haven't learned their lesson from previous seasons in over spending. How long is their owner willing to write off millions of pounds? We also know Goodwin likes to spend the cash

Slight side step in the topic, how much do we think St Mirren are worth?

The reason I ask is that in the papers today there is talk of a St Johnstone buy out, and that the value is in the region of £10m. I seem to remember when Gilmour left, we were valued at a couple of million, the joke at the time was that the OF could buy a player for their bench that was the equivalent price to buying our club. Obviously that was some time back but I don't think inflation has increased our value by that much.

It's never a like for like comparison of course, we have things St Johnstone don't and vice versa, and this isn't really asking about their valuation, but more I wonder what people think it would take to purchase St Mirren - not that it would happen any time soon, and not that I'm advocating that either.