The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

I mean fair enough for a friendly knock about but don’t try telling me anyone still really cares about the “Renfrewshire derby “ . Standing on the the benches with no roof might be old school but I’d rather be going to many other Scottish grounds before this. 

i imagine tho it’ll get a bigger crowd than most other opponents would so makes sense 

I, and I suspect many others, would care about a Renfrewshire derby if it saw St Mirren and Morton be drawn together in the Scottish or League Cups, or, hard as this may be to imagine, if they somehow were in the top flight with us. As far as the Renfrewshire Cup is concerned, well, I’m not bothered one iota. I see this very much as a fixture I just hope no first teamers pick up an injury in.

36 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I, and I suspect many others, would care about a Renfrewshire derby if it saw St Mirren and Morton be drawn together in the Scottish or League Cups, or, hard as this may be to imagine, if they somehow were in the top flight with us. As far as the Renfrewshire Cup is concerned, well, I’m not bothered one iota. I see this very much as a fixture I just hope no first teamers pick up an injury in.

I think it's more of a thing for Morton fans to get excited about. It has lost it's spark as a pre-season fixture since probably the early naughties.

35 minutes ago, medals said:

Not a great career move though

It is if you are towards the end of your career and the goal is to make as much money as possible before you retire.

49 minutes ago, GAD said:

It is if you are towards the end of your career and the goal is to make as much money as possible before you retire.

Depends on your goals. Some players want to play at the best level they can for as as long as they can.

I'd be a bit surprised if he doesn't get a better offer - money and level wise.

25 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Robinson in Renfrewshire World saying we have had a number of nock backs due to our budget. That he is finding it hard to replace loses with better. I'm sure Robinson will pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat. 

Will these be 20 goal-a-season rabbits?

Daft managers go to the press and tell folk that they've got a big budget to play about with.

Smart managers will plead a bit of poverty, especially since Robinson has said they are targeting players under contract at other clubs.

27 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Robinson in Renfrewshire World saying we have had a number of nock backs due to our budget. That he is finding it hard to replace loses with better. I'm sure Robinson will pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat. 

SR is great at rhetoric. This stance says to players and teams St. Mirren cannot pay so much for someone.

Tait, Joe, Main etc were on big money for us. There will be cheaper younger guys out there - perhaps a bit raw but with bags of potential. (Of course there will be other more experienced guys too)

However there are no guarentees we will make star replacements and patience is not valued that much in comparison to results.

And it's Foyle who is finding the rabbits too.

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Will these be 20 goal-a-season rabbits?

No chance. We aren’t Man City. We can’t afford to pay funny bunny.

Once more, I shall exit the internet without letting it hit my arse on the way out.

Surely everyone wants a 69 goal a season player, because that would be nice.

As for Dunne, I am sure this is more Goodwin saying "I'd like to take him to United" and less Dunne desperate to play in the Championship. That said, if he can get the wages he wants, while playing lesser competition, then fair play to the lad.

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I guess he will get a decent wedge but a bit of a gamble stepping down a level, especially if they don’t come straight back up.

Which is more than likely with him in there team .

26 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Nonsense - Dunne would stroll it in the Championship.

Dunne liked to stroll it before speeding up after he loses the ball.

Half the time i thought he was distracted by the planes coming into land.