The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

14 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Would love it If we could convince both to sign an extension for at least another year to protect ourselves from either no transfer activity this summer, or to hold their value beyond the next window.

Ryan strain is the one player we really need to sign on a new deal. He is better than Baccus. 

Still expecting Baccus to go once the transfer window opens. 

10 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Ryan strain is the one player we really need to sign on a new deal. He is better than Baccus. 

Still expecting Baccus to go once the transfer window opens. 

Yeah I agree. Baccus' game seemed to change a bit once he returned from the World Cup. He's possibly been running on empty for a while.

Strain has been a magnificent signing. Can't remember such an effective right back in recent years. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be overly coincerned if Baccus goes.

Very good player, but he just hasn't hit the heights since the World Cup. He may be carrying a knock or simply running on empty, but at this point, he's not exactly irreplacable.

Strain, on the other hand, would be very hard to replace. I'd be gutted to lose him this summer.

Robinson seems to like doing business early as possible, so with that in mind let’s hope we see some movement soon on the incomings front.

I see an article on Twitter from one of the gutter rags, exclaiming that Jay Henderson won’t be hanging about waiting too long, after spending time on loan at ICT. 

I would not be surprised to see Goodwin take him at Utd or maybe even Dundee having an interest.

Folk saying that Baccus wasn’t the same after returning from the WC

But as someone else pointed out, Baccus’ downturn in form also coincided with Erhahon leaving.

Erhahon played the holding midfield role that allowed Baccus to play. Gogic doesn’t sit back and play the holding role like Erhahon did. In addition, Gogic was frequently used in defence meaning that Baccus had to play the holding midfield role. 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

42 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

But as someone else pointed out, Baccus’ downturn in form also coincided with Erhahon leaving.

Erhahon played the holding midfield role that allowed Baccus to play. Gogic doesn’t sit back and play the holding role like Erhahon did. In addition, Gogic was frequently used in defence meaning that Baccus had to play the holding midfield role. 

That's a good way of looking at it. 

46 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Sensible by name sensible by nature

Before the last game against Sevco at Grayskull Baccus was dropped with the manager stating that Baccus had picked up an inury at the WC and had been playing through it on his return. Hopefully we will see the real Baccus next season if his injury has cleared.

12 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Before the last game against Sevco at Grayskull Baccus was dropped with the manager stating that Baccus had picked up an inury at the WC and had been playing through it on his return. Hopefully we will see the real Baccus next season if his injury has cleared.

That probably solves the mystery. Was going to say that hopefully he’ll mend with a rest but he’s away playing for Australia again

15 minutes ago, Div said:

Hearing that the Renfrewshire Cup is making a comeback this pre-season.

Saints will be in Greenock on Saturday July 8th.

Good news. Will they be playing for the actual cup though? They used to have semi finals before ?

Edited by Captain_Sensible

16 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Mematic_20230606_155434.jpg

9 minutes ago, Div said:

Think they are going straight to the final, as it's the only way they can guarantee that Morton make it that far 😁

A revamped Renfrewshire Cup with the senior clubs involved would be good:

Arthurlie, Johnstone Burgh, Neilston, Renfrew, Greenock, Port Glasgow, Glenvale, St Peters

2 knockout rounds with the 2 remaining playing Morton and St Mirren at home for a place in the final. I reckon the semis would generate decent interest and final without St Mirren or Morton would also attract interest.

Or even have St Mirren and Morton playing in quarter finals, even if only playing the youngsters

Will never happen, I’d just find it interesting! 

I mean fair enough for a friendly knock about but don’t try telling me anyone still really cares about the “Renfrewshire derby “ . Standing on the the benches with no roof might be old school but I’d rather be going to many other Scottish grounds before this. 

i imagine tho it’ll get a bigger crowd than most other opponents would so makes sense 

Edited by Norrie82

2 hours ago, Div said:

Hearing that the Renfrewshire Cup is making a comeback this pre-season.

Saints will be in Greenock on Saturday July 8th.

I saw the "final" Renfrewshire Cup Final back in the last millennium, about a thousand years ago, if this goes ahead I want my £2 back! 

15 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

I mean fair enough for a friendly knock about but don’t try telling me anyone still really cares about the “Renfrewshire derby “ . Standing on the the benches with no roof might be old school but I’d rather be going to many other Scottish grounds before this. 

i imagine tho it’ll get a bigger crowd than most other opponents would so makes sense 

I dunno. One Celtic supporter seems very excited about it.

The lack of self-awareness is astounding.

https://twitter.com/DeclanJ04/status/1666104804836364288