The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

Every team in the league needs someone like that but unfortunately clubs like St Mirren can’t afford anyone who guarantees 15 goals a season.

I'm with you. I find the continuous chat on a 15+ goals a season exhausting. Where do fans think this money would come from? Anyone consistently like this is out of our price range. We have to uncover players, take a punt and see if it works. 

Charles-Cook did not much until he was at Ross Co. Van Veen scored this number in the Dutch lower leagues, but not so much in England until now at Motherwell. Teams like us need to take a punt. 

We took a punt on Brophy from previous seasons and I don't think I was ever at a game he scored for us. Unfortunately it's the market we are in, but I have faith as Robo and Fouled have some raw talent there in Taylor, CBM etc. 

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

A striker who will bag you 10-14 goals a season at our level would be perfectly acceptable and hits the sweet spot of not being shite and not being so good they get taken away quickly.

I don't even think that's true tbh, this season we can't afford to keep our 9 goal striker.

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

I don't even think that's true tbh, this season we can't afford to keep our 9 goal striker.

Whilst true, I think if Curtis had another year or two to run on his deal, we'd not quite have been fending off cash offers left and right for him.

A 15 goals a season striker in the Premiership is probably a pipedream for a club like St Mirren. 

I think we should be aspiring to sign two or three 12-15 goals a season players instead.

That would do !!!

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A 15 goals a season striker in the Premiership is probably a pipedream for a club like St Mirren. 

I think we should be aspiring to sign two or three 12-15 goals a season players instead.

That would do !!!

You never really know how it's going to work until they are bedded into the team. We have had plenty of players who were pretty prolific before coming to us only to score a handful a season. 

The players who don't have as impressive a goalscoring record previous to coming up here haven't done too badly. Sometimes you just need to take a punt on a player if stats other than goals add up

My dad found the tournament programme for The Epson cup in a drawer today.

Told me lots of stories about the trip. It was a 13 hour flight from London to Singapore. Both us and Southampton were on the flight. Jimmy Case had to be carried off the flight at Singapore. :guinness

20230605_193043.jpg

20230605_193115.jpg

3 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I still say we need a 35 goal a season striker. Forget the 15 goals pish, not good enough.

Nah mate. I want a two goal a season striker that runs about hunners. 

Who can be Robbo’s Gareth Wardlaw?

17 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Wonder if Jay Henderson is offski? 

When do our players contracts end is it the end of June? 

End of May but Henderson is not free to leave as there is an offer on the table and he's under 21 and will move onto a monthly rolling contract until a deal is agreed one way or another.

So he can either stay on a rolling monthly deal until someone offers the compensation required to land him or can leave the club but we retain his registration until someone comes in.

It feels and sounds a bit snide but the rules are there to prevent clubs having young talent tapped up and poached away for nothing. We were in the exact same situation with John McGinn and it was a good while before Hibs came along with an offer that bypassed the compensation being paid there and then and instead was tied to future transfer cash.

Edited by djchapsticks

4 hours ago, Eednud said:

Ryan Strain and Keanu Baccus are in a 23 Australian squad for June 15 friendly against Argentina in Beijing.

Would love it If we could convince both to sign an extension for at least another year to protect ourselves from either no transfer activity this summer, or to hold their value beyond the next window.