The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Any stat fans out there that can tell us the goals conceded with and without Joe in the team?

Pretty easy way to know his worth. 

We concdeded 1.8 goals a game with him on the pitch and 0.8 per game without him. It’s just another pointless stick to beat Robinson with. 

53 minutes ago, Lex said:

Was he? He was starting every game at the business of the season - 8 out our last 9 I think - and he had a new deal on the table. 

If Robbo didn’t want him it would have been very easy to freeze him out and release him. Instead, he played him every week and offered him a new deal. 
A brutal - but not a surprising - knock back. 

Only because Gallagher clearly wasn't fit.

Robbo wanted him as back up, hence the one year deal.

Meh. We move on.

I was one of many fans who were deeply sceptical of Robinson, when he was appointed. But only a fool or someone with an agenda would dare suggest he hasn’t done a great job given the limited tools they had to work with. 
In terms of budget and a bare minimum amount of back room staff to work with.

We should be enjoying the fact that we are making very decent strides in the right direction. I’m thoroughly looking forward to seeing some more quality signings in time for the new campaign.

If Martin Foyle can source some more gems like Strain and Baccus then we’re in for another good season. 

6 hours ago, SS77 said:

We concdeded 1.8 goals a game with him on the pitch and 0.8 per game without him. It’s just another pointless stick to beat Robinson with. 

There should be a way to give more than 1 Charles to a post.

I’ve never seen so many positive posts about a departing player, coming in to us, on P and B. No doubt he’ll be shite and finished but you’ve given us hope for 2 or 3 months, at least. 
From the outside looking in you guys have a brilliant manager and it looks to be an exciting time to be a Buddy. 
Good luck lads. 

37 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I’ve never seen so many positive posts about a departing player, coming in to us, on P and B. No doubt he’ll be shite and finished but you’ve given us hope for 2 or 3 months, at least. 
From the outside looking in you guys have a brilliant manager and it looks to be an exciting time to be a Buddy. 
Good luck lads. 

Even though he's not as good as he was, he won't be shite.

You get the added bonus of a Central defender with a cracking long throw and a genuine goal threat at set pieces.

He'll probably score against us.

However, removing sentimentality and factoring in his wages and his increased culpability in conceded goals, it was the correct decision to offer him a one year deal. I'd have liked to have kept him, but Robinson is no fool and I trust his judgement. 

Just to add on other thing. In our last half dozen games I felt that we defended simple high balls into the box very poorly. Both Joe and Dunne, were the main culprits IMO.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Good luck lads. 

I don't think he'll be shite. He's exactly the type of player a newly promoted side should be trying to sign, I'd be very confident of Dundee staying up next season if they get a couple more like that.

14 hours ago, Lex said:

Was he? He was starting every game at the business of the season - 8 out our last 9 I think - and he had a new deal on the table. 

If Robbo didn’t want him it would have been very easy to freeze him out and release him. Instead, he played him every week and offered him a new deal. 
A brutal - but not a surprising - knock back. 

You seem to be getting yourself in knots over this. You mention he played 8 of the last 9. Why did he play? How many games did he start in the 29 matches before that. Joe was excellent for us, but he would have been a back up centre back next year and has taken the 2 year deal where he will almost be guaranteed to start most weeks.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Good luck lads. 

Make no mistake about it, he will be outpaced by virtually every striker in the league - and will give up a few goals as a result. If you lads sign another CB with a decent amount of pace that would see you get the best of Joe. He will 100% make mistakes, but in terms of straight up defending - tackling, using his strength and winning headers - he will do a good job.

If it’s another CB with no pace, you’ll be bang in trouble.

There's a strange force in the universe that prevents Partick Thistle and St Mirren from existing in the same division for any length of time.

it's uncanny how many times that various promotions and relegations, in the same year, or soon afterwards, have seen us avoid each other, for two fairly similar clubs. 6 times in the last 41 years we've been in the same divsion.

If they come up today it would be nice if we could both buck that trend.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Heard this morning that Johnstone Burgh are sniffing about Richard Tait and he's quite interested as he's looking to go part time to supplement his own business.

He is too good to play junior

1 hour ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

There's a strange force in the universe that prevents Partick Thistle and St Mirren from existing in the same division for any length of time.

it's uncanny how many times that various promotions and relegations, in the same year, or soon afterwards, have seen us avoid each other, for two fairly similar clubs. 6 times in the last 41 years we've been in the same divsion.

If they come up today it would be nice if we could both buck that trend.

Not as strange as the one that prevents St Mirren and Morton from existing in the same division. 😎

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Heard this morning that Johnstone Burgh are sniffing about Richard Tait and he's quite interested as he's looking to go part time to supplement his own business.

They signed Graham Dorrans. Must be someone throwing a few quid at them.

Always liked Burgh and went to the odd game when I was a kid if St Mirren were away. They had a good team in the late 90s early 00s, so it's good to see them doing well. Their assistant manager is a good St Mirren man as well.

Just now, houston_bud said:

Always liked Burgh and went to the odd game when I was a kid if St Mirren were away. They had a good team in the late 90s early 00s, so it's good to see them doing well. Their assistant manager is a good St Mirren man as well.

Jesus, I am old - I was at Hampden to see the Burgh win the Scottish Junior Cup in 1968. What a team Johnstone Burgh had then. The crowds at Keanie Park too, glory days.

10 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

They’ve got a guy living in London (originally from Johnstone) throwing money at them just now. They picked up Del Esplin from Pollok too.