The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I heard he would have stayed if we'd offered two years but we just weren't budging on a single year offer.

Suppose it's a similar situation to the one where we got Tait off of Motherwell.

Dont tie yourself to over 30s who are edging towards the cliff face.

Smart management as otherwise you end up like us, with utter dross sticking around while you have to release better players.

Shaughnessy is a solid signing. He doesn't start for us when everyone is fully fit but Gallagher has missed a lot of games this season and Shaughnessy has done well when we needed him. I'd be suprised if we can get a better back up centre half to be honest.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I heard he would have stayed if we'd offered two years but we just weren't budging on a single year offer.

Suppose it's a similar situation to the one where we got Tait off of Motherwell.

For a player that wasn't first choice and over 30 I suppose a year was sensible.

Gallagher obviously better and first choice, but his fitness is in question.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dont tie yourself to over 30s who are edging towards the cliff face.

Smart management as otherwise you end up like us, with utter dross sticking around while you have to release better players.

We've been caught countless times by it in last 15 years.

Guys who used to be good just getting that one season too far and it being us who pay the price for it. I understand the need for experience in the squad but the fact is that all four players who left us this week were 30-32. They are still good enough just now but things like lack of pace are going to be seriously exposed sooner or later.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

For a player that wasn't first choice and over 30 I suppose a year was sensible.

Gallagher obviously better and first choice, but his fitness is in question.

Yeah. And I think we will be in same situation with him in a year's time. If he's consistently again, we offer him a year. He'll be 32 at that point.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

We've been caught countless times by it in last 15 years.

Guys who used to be good just getting that one season too far and it being us who pay the price for it. I understand the need for experience in the squad but the fact is that all four players who left us this week were 30-32. They are still good enough just now but things like lack of pace are going to be seriously exposed sooner or later.

Ideally your experience starts to come from players aged 27-31 rather than 32-35, which i think a lot of clubs get wrong.

St Mirren seem ambitious so your plan is probably to filter a few of your starters down to back ups this Summer.

Shaughnessy makes way, you bring in a 24yo CB as first choice, Gallagher is back up for his final year, etc.

Standing still when chasing the top 6 is deadly.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Liked Joe but the stats show he is on the way down. He was on big money, so I suspect the opportunity/ risk is slightly in our favour.

He's about to hit 31. He'll be a decent leader and organiser but we need better.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ideally your experience starts to come from players aged 27-31 rather than 32-35, which i think a lot of clubs get wrong.

St Mirren seem ambitious so your plan is probably to filter a few of your starters down to back ups this Summer.

Shaughnessy makes way, you bring in a 24yo CB as first choice, Gallagher is back up for his final year, etc.

Standing still when chasing the top 6 is deadly.

I've been saying as much with regards to Marcus Fraser and Scott Tanser in particular. Feel they will maybe not be starting quite as regularly come the start of next season.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've been saying as much with regards to Marcus Fraser and Scott Tanser in particular. Feel they will maybe not be starting quite as regularly come the start of next season.

Small was good but is young and very raw. If Robinson really rated Tanser there's no way Small would have started as many games as he did. "Peak-age experienced wing-back Vs card-prone rookie" shouldn't even be a contest.

Shaughnessy is a very good signing for Dundee.

That said, I’m not overly fussed to see him go. A good top flight defender, but hardly irreplaceable if we want to kick on next season.

When all out defenders were fit, Joe was third choice, but was crucial for us in the run in to the split as the injuries piled up.

To Dundee fans, you’re getting a good experienced pro - comfortably one of the best defenders among clubs in the bottom 6. He’s also apparently very good around the dressing room with the younger players. A very steady, reliable and experienced signing. Good bit of business. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Done...

Screenshot_20230602_172250_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.10b020a80244298a9c3397fdb8b6aa28.jpg

A reason he was bench warming for St Mirren.

He'll be better than you have, but worse than he was so likely worse than you're expecting. 

Presumably youre not planning on partnering him with Ashcroft?

Stick your graphs up yet arse you annoying cock. 

A former club captain and someone was a really good signing for us. I think we'll miss him, and if he had started in our back 3 all season, we'd be further up the table than we finished.

Chipped in with a decent amount of goals too, gave everything even when he was obviously out of favour. 

Thanks Big Man. 

5 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Stick your graphs up yet arse you annoying cock. 

When Shaughnessy signed for us, I'm pretty sure he was spouting the same shite.

He'll be more than decent for you lot.

Shaughnessy is a great signing for Dundee.

I imagine he'll take the armband, and aside from still being a very good player you feel he'll bring a level of organisation which could be the 'make or break' for any recently promoted side.