The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Heard County paid a fee for Brophy  and paid full wages . Heard he wants to play abroad . Will be interesting to see how this pans out . Ross County might be happy to have him on loan for next season , even if they are relegated they will want to bounce straight back up .

Edited by MenstrieSaint

27 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Heard County paid a fee for Brophy  and paid full wages . Heard he wants to play abroad . Will be interesting to see how this pans out . Ross County might be happy to have him on loan for next season , even if they are relegated they will want to bounce straight back up .

The opposite. He’s just bought a house locally so that’s why Australia was ruled out - there was concrete interest. 

Dunno if that’s changed since January though.

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I'd be absolutely astounded if we'd pulled the full wage back on Brophy, much less a fee as well.

When we signed Brophy, we were told that we'd outbid Aberdeen and Hibs to get him. People said that it was folly to do so. In reality, I've hard the number quoted that's he's on per week and the amount we're allegedly paying him would be comfortably within a budget the size of Aberdeen's and even Hibs but for us it's a serious stretch. We bid on him based on him being our focal point of attack for the next 3 and a bit seasons (which I'm sure Aberdeen and Hibs didn't and adjusted their offers accordingly) and he should have been.

If he was playing every week, contributing and helping the team on the park as I'm confident he would be if fully fit, then that eye-watering wage would perhaps be somewhat justified but unfortunately, the guy is just broken and we simply can't keep as much of the wage budget tied up in a player who has never been 100% since he joined us and probably won't be again.

It's a shame for all involved and it's the second time it's happened to us after signing a proven top flight striker after similar happened with Craig Dargo years ago. That wasn't his fault either but pretty quickly, people realised we had bought someone who was always going to be hurt.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Brophy wouldnt be worth the reported wage even if he was fit.

Not saying he would be, but he'd be contributing and it wouldn't be nearly as much of a glaring and ongoing issue as it is.

A fully fit Brophy is potentially getting you 12-14 goals over a 38 game season.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not saying he would be, but he'd be contributing and it wouldn't be nearly as much of a glaring and ongoing issue as it is.

A fully fit Brophy is potentially getting you 12-14 goals over a 38 game season.

Hes really not. Hes only scored more than 8 twice. And that was after Clarke built a team to suit him.

He'll get you ~5 as one who plays sporadically, or 7/8 if you play him regularly. Over 10 is dreamland stuff.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes really not. Hes only scored more than 8 twice. And that was after Clarke built a team to suit him.

He'll get you ~5 as one who plays sporadically, or 7/8 if you play him regularly. Over 10 is dreamland stuff.

His record for Killie:

image.png.2a4a771f17e85df4ec0b1f537d2d071e.png

That's factoring in him missing around a quarter of each of those seasons into the bargain - suggests that over 10 is hardly dreamland stuff.

He got 7 for us last season and that's despite being fit enough to start only 22 games and not being on spot kicks.

It's definitely not a stretch to say that if he was fit and available for more than 60% of a season (at best), he could consistently bang in comfortably well over 10 goals.

Completely moot point anyway, there's never going to be a time where you get 34-38 league games a season out of him to judge his abilty.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Completely moot point anyway, there's never going to be a time where you get 34-38 league games a season out of him to judge his abilty.

Well why bring it up then?

Hes had injury problems keeping him out of multiple games dating back to before he even joined Kilmarnock, so valuing him based on 38 games is just pointless.

Id be amazed if he ever hits a 10+ goal season in the top flight ever again. I wouldnt even be sure he gets past 8 ever again.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well why bring it up then?

Hes had injury problems keeping him out of multiple games dating back to before he even joined Kilmarnock, so valuing him based on 38 games is just pointless.

Id be amazed if he ever hits a 10+ goal season in the top flight ever again. I wouldnt even be sure he gets past 8 ever again.

55 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If he was playing every week, contributing and helping the team on the park as I'm confident he would be if fully fit, then that eye-watering wage would perhaps be somewhat justified but unfortunately, the guy is just broken and we simply can't keep as much of the wage budget tied up in a player who has never been 100% since he joined us and probably won't be again.

You've literally gone out of your way to argue with me despite coming to the exact same conclusion as I did in the post you initially took umbrage with.

Think you need to come in out of the sun for a bit or at least fire on a hat, mate.:lol:

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

You've literally gone out of your way to argue with me despite coming to the exact same conclusion as I did in the post you initially took umbrage with.

Think you need to come in out of the sun for a bit or at least fire on a hat, mate.:lol:

49 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

This was the first post of yours id read on the subject.

My initial post on Brophy was just in general response to the thread topic rather than in reply to you.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Joe Shaughnessy, what's he like then?

Fine, very decent bottom six defender. A worryingly competent signing from Dundee. Few more like that and you'll be fine next season.

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sad to see him Joe go.

Prone to some lapses in concentration, but otherwise a better than average premiership CH.

Good long throw and a goal threat too.

We only offered Shaughnessy a year, so I presume that you've offered a longer contract.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Sad to see him Joe go.

Prone to some lapses in concentration, but otherwise a better than average premiership CH.

Good long throw and a goal threat too.

We only offered Shaughnessy a year, so I presume that you've offered a longer contract.

We seem to be going with 2 year deals just now.

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Done...

Screenshot_20230602_172250_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.10b020a80244298a9c3397fdb8b6aa28.jpg

A reason he was bench warming for St Mirren.

He'll be better than you have, but worse than he was so likely worse than you're expecting. 

Presumably youre not planning on partnering him with Ashcroft?

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

I heard he would have stayed if we'd offered two years but we just weren't budging on a single year offer.

Suppose it's a similar situation to the one where we got Tait off of Motherwell.