The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

There is a real need for a reserve league again, this is why boys are falling off the system.

When you reach the age of around 18-20/21 and you are not getting a sniff near the first team and you are cut off from the under 18s, it must be a limbo situation unless you are sent out on loan. If we had a reserves league back where there is no age limit, it would help with these players.

I mean, there *is* a reserves league - not a very good one but it exists all the same. https://spfl.co.uk/league/rl1/table

Genuine (no snark) question, how come St Mirren aren't in it? Presumably that's been a choice?

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, there *is* a reserves league - not a very good one but it exists all the same. https://spfl.co.uk/league/rl1/table

Genuine (no snark) question, how come St Mirren aren't in it? Presumably that's been a choice?

How come there is only 9 games played per team?

If it is still active i guess its at a cost where as it was maybe mandatory in the past.

10 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

How come there is only 9 games played per team?

If it is still active i guess its at a cost where as it was maybe mandatory in the past.

As I mentioned, I didn't say it's a good league, simply that it exists. 

At a guess, I'd imagine that there are relatively few fixtures to allow for some flexibility in scheduling that also allows Academy player to go on loan.

It runs in parallel with the Reserve Cup format (which St Mirren don't seem to be involved in either funnily enough) https://spfl.co.uk/league/rcup/table 

https://news.stv.tv/sport/dundee-united-hibs-and-motherwell-among-premiership-clubs-to-sign-up-for-spfl-reserve-league

That's the format they've decided to run with. I'm sure they have their reasons but to be honest even when they re-branded to a bona-fide Reserve league pre-pandemic (the format you're talking about) it's been a half-arsed shambles with zero discernible benefits to clubs although it did allow folk to spout their rose-tinted pish about how a return to the days "Reserve" football would sort everything out.

Burrows alluded to the zero improvements back in 2019: https://twitter.com/Alan_Burrows/status/1112982284041379841?s=20

Last nights defeat for County could work against us as I don't see them taking Brophy if they are in the Championship, I'd imagine he's a bit of a headache for Robinson.

11 minutes ago, btb said:

Last nights defeat for County could work against us as I don't see them taking Brophy if they are in the Championship, I'd imagine he's a bit of a headache for Robinson.

Anyone looking at Brophy's injury record would be very wise to stay away . We ether do a pay off or let his contract run down. 

11 minutes ago, btb said:

He only played about half a dozen games for them then got injured again. Even if they stayed up I'm not convinced they'd be desperate to keep him.

I feel really sorry for the guy, he's a decent player but injuries mean he's hardly had a run of games in the past 2+ years.

44 minutes ago, btb said:

Last night’s defeat for County could work for us - 7,000 plus there last night. What does our away stand hold again x £22 a pop? I’m sure the ‘Brophy situation’ will work itself out one way or another.

Mon’ the Partick. Don’t fcuk this up now. Get ICT & County down with the Morton - next to go, Livingston hopefully. If we’re in a top flight with no Teuchters, Livingston or Hamilton, I may need to spend an hour masturbating before getting on with the rest of my day.

Edited by pozbaird

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Last night’s defeat for County could work for us - 7,000 plus there last night. What does our away stand hold again x £22 a pop? I’m sure the ‘Brophy situation’ will work itself out one way or another.

Mon’ the Partick. Don’t fcuk this up now. Get ICT & County down with the Morton - next to go, Livingston hopefully. If we’re in a top flight with no Teuchters, Livingston or Hamilton, I may need to spend an hour masturbating before getting on with the rest of my day.

Like I said elsewhere I reckon Thistle have more potential than County so even tho I have a coupla Thistle supporting mates for purely selfish reasons I'd prefer County to stay up. For the same reason I'd be happy to see the likes of Ayr, Morten win the Championship (unlikely I know) as I reckon their stay in the top flight would be brief.

For me we're a diddy team and our priority, whilst in the top flight, will always be to avoid the bottom two spots before we can look upwards.

1 minute ago, btb said:

Like I said elsewhere I reckon Thistle have more potential than County so even tho I have a coupla Thistle supporting mates for purely selfish reasons I'd prefer County to stay up. For the same reason I'd be happy to see the likes of Ayr, Morten win the Championship (unlikely I know) as I reckon their stay in the top flight would be brief.

For me we're a diddy team and our priority, whilst in the top flight, will always be to avoid the bottom two spots before we can look upwards.

Morton and Ayr in the top flight gets my vote too. Must take umbrage with your last sentence. We used to be a diddy team. We are now European-sniffing top six elite.

Thank you. 😜

1 hour ago, btb said:

Offer him as a straight swap for Dhanda. ;) 

The club will do everything in it's power to move Brophy on.

His contract is absolutely killing us.

Hugely unlikely anyone will offer him anywhere near what he's on with us so only plausible outcome I can see is that we pay him a lump sum and mutually terminate.

It's going to be sore either way.

Shame it didn't work out for him, we've seen the odd glimpse here and there but pound for pound it's been a bit of a disaster for us when all said and done.

1 hour ago, Div said:

The club will do everything in it's power to move Brophy on.

Hugely unlikely anyone will offer him anywhere near what he's on with us so only plausible outcome I can see is that we pay him a lump sum and mutually terminate.

It's going to be sore either way.

Shame it didn't work out for him, we've seen the odd glimpse here and there but pound for pound it's been a bit of a disaster for us when all said and done.

He's going to Utd in a straight swap for Watt. After all wasn't it JG who signed him for us?

Ok that's just wishful thinking.

I could see us loaning him back out to subsidise the pain, cause I don't see him being willing to take a payoff for less than 60 - 70 % of his contract.

Teams like Killie or Dee might take a punt for 6 months with an option till the end of next season. RC if they survive too as he worked well with Whyte.

39 minutes ago, medals said:

He's going to Utd in a straight swap for Watt. After all wasn't it JG who signed him for us?

Ok that's just wishful thinking.

I could see us loaning him back out to subsidise the pain, cause I don't see him being willing to take a payoff for less than 60 - 70 % of his contract.

Teams like Killie or Dee might take a punt for 6 months with an option till the end of next season. RC if they survive too as he worked well with Whyte.

Don't think there's any chance of us considering Brophy.  

28 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Don't think there's any chance of us considering Brophy.  

I reckon if anyone was willing to pay half his wages SR would cover him in bubble wrap and drive him there toot sweet!

Edited by btb

2 hours ago, Div said:

Aye, felt good at the time when we were outbidding Aberdeen and Hibs. The fact he was even injured on that initial loan spell probably should have been the warning sign. 

He was doing a job for County when he first arrived, but the guy just has the worst luck. I don't hold it against him at all, tbh, but his career with us peaked in the first couple minutes of the 21-22 league campaign at Dens and has rarely hit the heights since then.

A loan to the top end of the Championship where we still have to pay part of his wage seems like the best, most realistic option I reckon.