The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

I'd take Smith. Can play either side. Would be a downgrade on Strain if he were to leave though the fact he can cover both sides is a positive

Liam Smith did well for us in the championship, because he's a championship level player. When he's played against us for United this season he's been a weak link who kept on giving the ball away.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

If Goodwin is looking for a fullback he might not be a bad shout for United.

If he's looking for guys that give 100% and are leaders, Tait and Shaughnessy would be on his wishlist. 

20 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Screenshot_20230530_181127_Facebook.jpg

Gordon Scott will be a massive loss, turned the club around when we were a rudderless ship under Gilmour and ploughed in some of his own money to get us back to the top flight.

Took no shit and pulled the trigger early to get rid of the likes of Rae and Stubbs. 

It’s just a pity he never got control of the club sooner when he tried, believe he tried a number of times but Gilmour couldn’t accept because the jealousy was ripping out him.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

If he's looking for guys that give 100% and are leaders, Tait and Shaughnessy would be on his wishlist. 

I'd be surprised if Goodwin would be prepared to offer Tait more than a one-year deal. United will have ambitions to return to the Premiership in one season and Richard Tait won't be up to Premiership standard  for season 25/25. Tait will be hoping for a contract of 2 years at least. He needs to find a no-hoper Championship team that would be gullible enough to offer a 2-season contract.

Hello Morton.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I'd be surprised if Goodwin would be prepared to offer Tait more than a one-year deal. United will have ambitions to return to the Premiership in one season and Richard Tait won't be up to Premiership standard  for season 25/25. Tait will be hoping for a contract of 2 years at least. He needs to find a no-hoper Championship team that would be gullible enough to offer a 2-season contract.

Hello Morton.

Oops, I meant season 24/25. Fat fingers !!

9 minutes ago, McG said:

Gordon Scott will be a massive loss, turned the club around when we were a rudderless ship.

Just wait for the conspiracy theorist who will say he's been forced out and its the Kibbles fault.

Seriously though he wouldn't make being a politician cause he delivered his promises.

His commitment has really helped us to get to top 6.

I'd think of Gordon as a mate, but purely on the basis that I've been to the pub with him a few times.

He's a good guy and will be a loss to the board IMO.

I spoke to him at the POTY on Sunday night, and he told me then that he had put in his resignation.

Nothing sinister in it, he's just decided that it's a good time in his life to take a step back.

No great Kibble conspiracy I'm afraid, all quite boring!

1 minute ago, Passionate said:

Lewis Jamieson I believe is out of contract , is that correct, if so has he been offered a new deal,   noticed he has been on the bench fo r the last while,   do you guys think he can make it..

Signed a one year extension a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/4943-lewis-jamieson-signs-contract-extension

I'm far from convinced he's got what it takes for the top flight tbh.

2 hours ago, Div said:

I also invited Curtis Main to a BBQ at my house on Monday but he never showed up.

Probably for the best. The big man could feasibly ruin you financially with all the protein he could pack away.

It really is no coincidence we improved as a club once Gordon got involved, he sussed folk out very quickly. We wouldn’t be where we are now without him. I think we weren’t far off from matching United on budget when we came up and that’s down to someone putting there own money in.

3 hours ago, Div said:

I'd think of Gordon as a mate, but purely on the basis that I've been to the pub with him a few times.

He's a good guy and will be a loss to the board IMO.

I spoke to him at the POTY on Sunday night, and he told me then that he had put in his resignation.

Nothing sinister in it, he's just decided that it's a good time in his life to take a step back.

No great Kibble conspiracy I'm afraid, all quite boring!

You think of him as a mate? 🤣

Did you tell him you’re still sniffing Gilmours arse?

5 minutes ago, McG said:

It really is no coincidence we improved as a club once Gordon got involved, he sussed folk out very quickly. We wouldn’t be where we are now without him. I think we weren’t far off from matching United on budget when we came up and that’s down to someone putting there own money in.

IIRC Gordon Scott's original plan was to take control of our club until the supporters raised the money (within an agreed timescale) to achieve 100% fan-ownership. So how come we now have Kibble owning a significant share of the ownership and they seem to be pulling the strings ? The original deal between GS and SMiSA should have gone ahead on the agreed timetable and Kibble should have been told to GTF.